Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Bring back Grossman. The INTs are aggravating but he was fairly prolific in those last five games last season.

He definitely won't win us any Super Bowls but at least he'll give the young WRs we just drafted a chance to develop.
If we can get a couple of FA O-line types who can do some business...AND if our additions to the WR/RB stable pan out, Rex will look much improved (although probably not SB MVP material).
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
GusFrerotte

Another thing is the maybe, just maybe, McNabb and Shanny have patched things up for now. I just can't fathom us leaning on Beck to start. The guy is lucky to be still in the NFL.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #18
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I say that because for the simple fact that Beck isn't the answer at QB and shouldn't be on the team at all. In fact, I predict in 2012 his ass is gone. We won't get Luck, but we could a couple mid rounders like Persa or a SEC QB.
According to Mike Shanahan:
Shanahan endorses Beck; Beck determined to win job - Redskins Journal
Quote:
“When he came out [of BYU] in 2007, you evaluate the quarterbacks every year, and he was by far my No. 1 guy,” Shanahan said Saturday evening. “I think the world of him, but I’m not going to get into detail.”
Shanahan said he ranked Beck ahead of even No. 1 pick JaMarcus Russell that year. Those are strong words.
Another aticle but it's a good article;
RealTime Fantasy Sports - Redskins' Shanahan passes on QB, then praises Beck
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #19
GusFrerotte

I am sorry, if this kid was anything special, he would not have been on 3 teams in what 5 years? I also want a young stud to hopefully be our franchise guy for over a decade like Joey T. I realize that that will be very hard to accomplish, but Beck isn't going to get us anywhere. A major trade is in the works once the lockout is over. You have two vets in Palmer and Smith that can come in and do the job. Beck is a smokescreen for what is coming. Once the lockout is cleaned up, we will be hit with news of a monster trade or the acquisition of Smith.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #20
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Also....

Quote:
``You're not going to address everything through the draft,'' Shanahan said. ``I can't share our whole game plan with you now, but we do have a plan.''
Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

OL and QB will be addressed when Free Agency starts. Maybe Beck under Shanahans tutelage can blosom, he was solid in college to be selected in the 2nd round. Another possibility is trading McNabb and fat shit for VY.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #22
GusFrerotte

BYU QBs have sucked post Steve Young. THe NCAA teams adjusted to the air it out style teams and BYU went down a notch since Boscoe left. BYU plays in a rather weak conference, even when they change conferences. That is why BYU QBs haven't faired well in the NFL since Young. Shoot my uncle's '82 Buckeye team beat BYU led by Young 47-17 in the '82 Holiday Bowl. I think the Bucks picked him of like 4 times, and the '82 team wasn't the best defensive wise either.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I believe Matt Light and Logan Mankins are FA available.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #24
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Also....

Exactly. Shanny expressed his belief in Beck's abilities since he couldn't give up a major part of the plan. He can't come out and say that we are going for Smith, Palmer, etc, as that might tip off other teams. Beck is a nice guy I am sure, but he isn't a starter.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #25
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I am sorry, if this kid was anything special, he would not have been on 3 teams in what 5 years? I also want a young stud to hopefully be our franchise guy for over a decade like Joey T. I realize that that will be very hard to accomplish, but Beck isn't going to get us anywhere. A major trade is in the works once the lockout is over. You have two vets in Palmer and Smith that can come in and do the job. Beck is a smokescreen for what is coming. Once the lockout is cleaned up, we will be hit with news of a monster trade or the acquisition of Smith.
I just felt the need to point out that apparently Joey T failed to get drafted and was forced to go to Canada because he was looked at as not being "good enough" prior to the Skins picking him up from the Torronto Argonauts. He was there for 3 yrs before the Skins hired him to be the "punt returner." It took 4 yrs before he became the starting QB.

So maybe with any luck the Skins might have something in Beck that none of us have seen yet. A QB needs to be in the right place with the right situation at the right time, or Beck might be a dud. I know what your saying and I agree with you but I would like to think MS knows what he's looking for in a QB that will do well in his system. Just because Beck has not done well in other situations doesn't mean he can't do well in this one. Remember also Bret Favre was considered a dud by the Falcons and traded him away to the Packers.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well we've talked this off-season that the Redskins do like Beck, but that doesn't mean he's their guy. I really thought they should draft a QB and then re-sign Grossman or bring in some vet like Hasselbeck for a year.

I don't know quite what they see in Beck and he's 30 years old so how patient can they be with him?

Disappointing that two years in a row they haven't taken a QB
Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #27
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Maybe they are waiting for next year when Luck and Barkley will be available, thinking they have a chance at either one.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #28
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I'm not sure what ones are restricted but here's the list...
2011 NFL Free Agents

Hasselbeck
Smith
Grossman

seem like the best deals of them all, and out of the 3 I'd rather go younger with Smith but he will take time to learn the system where as Grossman already knows the system. So I'd almost rather keep Grossman another year and next yr draft our future QB.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #29
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I'd rather give Chris Simms a shot vs. Vince Young. Chris Simms anyone? He played in Tampa under Gruden so he knows the WCO.

Edit: 2011 NFL Free Agents
Old 05-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #30
cdskins26
Special Teams

Now that we passed entirely on a Quarterback this year, it seems almost inevitable that we draft our quarterback in the first or second round next year. The guys who seem to be gaining the most hype as potential first rounders next year are Luck and Barkley as well as Nick Foles and Landry Jones.

Luck obviously would be ideal situation number one, but otherwise, what do people know about the other guys and how they could potentially fit into our system.

Barkley reminds me of Clausen or Leinhart from what I have seen, and appears like a potential bust. Foles looks like a statue when he throws and comes from the spread offense. Jones apparently needs to work on his mechanics.

Lets hope for luck at this point.
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote