Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Half Way Mark, Are You Satisfied? Expectations Going Forward

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The first half of the season had enough up and downs to last a year. I think we blew a lot of opportunities...Last year we would have won the Dallas And Cincy games. Maybe the Detroit...honestly we should have played better in that one...we were less deserving IMO for that win.

Highlight of the year so far I think was our first win against the Giants. Great game, ODB clowning himself and nobody picked us to pull the upset.

Lowlight...Cousins INT in the endzone vs the Cowboys. Man the momentum was changing and Skins were primed for that win.

MVP so far: Josh Norman has lived up to the hype! Trent loses this award for being a selfish b***h.

Players who have stepped up: Chris Thompson, Morgan Moses, Cravens, Trent Murphy, Chris Baker, Kerrigan and Schreff. Wil Blackmon doesn't get talked about, but he's outplayed D Hall at Free Safety and returning kicks too on Special Teams. Tress Way could be a pro bowler.

Disappointing players the first half: Preston Smith and Breeland. I thought we would see growth with these two...Matt Jones with his inconsistent play(Im gonna put this on the coaches too). Bruton was a disappointing free agent signing. Desean Jax has played his way out of an extension.

Going forward I think we could be in the hunt. Cousins needs to continue to play at a decent level, but I really think a guy in running game needs to emerge. I really hope we continue to mix in Lanier on the D-Line because that's our weakest group of players.

I think the last game of the season at home vs the Giants will be for a playoff spot. I would luv to end their season, while propelling this great franchise into a deep playoff run. HTTR!

How are you feeling? who is ballin Keenum-style on the Skins? Who sucks and been disappointing?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Half Way Mark, Are You Satisfied? Expectations Going Forward

I'm never satisfied. I believe the Redskins should've been 6-2 at this point. It's disappointing to see them at 4-3-1. I think they're better than that record indicates.

I'm disappointed with Matt Jones. I'm disappointed with DeSean Jackson. I'm a little disappointed with Kirk Cousins, but I'll explain that in a bit.

Jones is clearly not our feature back. I'm more impressed with Thompson and Fat Rob than I am Matt Jones. The fumbles are just inexcusable. I hate to say it, but I was glad Jones wasn't playing against Cincy. I think he needed to sit for a game. Right now, he's more a liability than a weapon.

DeSean Jackson? Paper guy. Gets hurt every single game, catches one, maybe two per game and then disappears. I think in his mind, he's no longer with the Redskins. He's gone after this season, especially if the Redskins fail to make the post season. I'm thinking he doesn't like playing with Kirk Cousins. Which brings me to Cousins....

Cousins can heat up, and he's played well. He's racked up a bunch of yards, but few points. His red zone efficiency has been terrible. He can't seem to hit the long ball to save his life - which frustrates guys like Jackson who lives and dies by the bomb downfield. He gets suckered with the underneath coverage way too many times, and a lot of his INTs have come from such coverage. Yet, he's frustrating because I don't know of any other quarterback, of whom we could acquire next season, that would be an upgrade to Kirk Cousins. Cousins prepares well. He plays well. At times, he seems unstoppable, until he makes the big INT throw or the drive stalls in the red zone. He's going to put up big numbers, but I don't care about individual stats, I want him leading the 'skins to wins.

I am impressed with Josh Norman. I'm impressed with Cravens. And I know people don't really talk much about him, but I'm impressed with Baker. He's been playing his tail off this year. He's not the best lineman you'll see, but he makes plays when there's a play to be made.

Don't get me started on Trent Williams. I am so disappointed with him getting suspended again. He is such a valuable guy for us, and I think we're going to see the offense struggle without him protecting that blind side.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I'm never satisfied. I believe the Redskins should've been 6-2 at this point. It's disappointing to see them at 4-3-1. I think they're better than that record indicates.

I'm disappointed with Matt Jones. I'm disappointed with DeSean Jackson. I'm a little disappointed with Kirk Cousins, but I'll explain that in a bit.

Jones is clearly not our feature back. I'm more impressed with Thompson and Fat Rob than I am Matt Jones. The fumbles are just inexcusable. I hate to say it, but I was glad Jones wasn't playing against Cincy. I think he needed to sit for a game. Right now, he's more a liability than a weapon.

DeSean Jackson? Paper guy. Gets hurt every single game, catches one, maybe two per game and then disappears. I think in his mind, he's no longer with the Redskins. He's gone after this season, especially if the Redskins fail to make the post season. I'm thinking he doesn't like playing with Kirk Cousins. Which brings me to Cousins....

Cousins can heat up, and he's played well. He's racked up a bunch of yards, but few points. His red zone efficiency has been terrible. He can't seem to hit the long ball to save his life - which frustrates guys like Jackson who lives and dies by the bomb downfield. He gets suckered with the underneath coverage way too many times, and a lot of his INTs have come from such coverage. Yet, he's frustrating because I don't know of any other quarterback, of whom we could acquire next season, that would be an upgrade to Kirk Cousins. Cousins prepares well. He plays well. At times, he seems unstoppable, until he makes the big INT throw or the drive stalls in the red zone. He's going to put up big numbers, but I don't care about individual stats, I want him leading the 'skins to wins.

I am impressed with Josh Norman. I'm impressed with Cravens. And I know people don't really talk much about him, but I'm impressed with Baker. He's been playing his tail off this year. He's not the best lineman you'll see, but he makes plays when there's a play to be made.

Don't get me started on Trent Williams. I am so disappointed with him getting suspended again. He is such a valuable guy for us, and I think we're going to see the offense struggle without him protecting that blind side.
Time to extend Chris Baker...guy has been great this year! I was thinking an extension could be announced during the bye...

He Gets Us
Old 11-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Time to extend Chris Baker...guy has been great this year! I was thinking an extension could be announced during the bye...

Totally agree.

I've been impressed with Garçon - dude does the dirty work and makes hard catches in traffic. And double that for Crowder. Dude's a player. Same for Reed - when healthy. And props to Long for shoring up the center spot pretty well. Our Oline has been stout.

Lanier is intriguing to me. I wonder if we see him emerge in the second half. Maybe he becomes last year's Preston Smith (who I think is in the witness protection program). I am also intrigued to see if Spaight will get more time and emerge in the second half. High motor. Props to Whitner, by the way - he's been solid too. Bree needs to step up, period. I really had high hopes for him this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

How did I forget Crowder???!!!!

Guy been out of his mind! Good call

He Gets Us
Old 11-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Just wish we could have seen Docston this year. We would have been able to make a way better decision on Jackson/Garcon if we did.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

I'm satisfied. Of course I'm frustrated we are 4-3-1 when we should be 6-2 and could very well be 7-1.

But this is the best I have seen this team play. I was born in 1990 and pretty much discovered the existence of football in 2009, this is only the 7th season I've been a fan of this team, so I know this doesn't mean a lot. But still.

Even last year, we made it to the playoffs with an easy schedule, and if you look at the stats, we were below average in pretty much everything (17th OvrOff 11th PassOff 20th RushOff, 28th OvrD 25th PassD 26th RushD). This year we dramatically improved in everything but RushD, with a tougher schedule (4th OvrOff 3rd PassOff 14th RushOff, 22nd OvrD 15th PassD 26th RushD). And I think this D will be better ranked at the end of season, guys have been playing better and Barry is improving from week to week.

I know this D isn't great, but this is the best redskins' D I can remember. Tied with Seattle for 6th pass rush in the league with 22 sacks! How great is that? With a DL group we all pointed as one of the weakest squad of the team at the beginning of the season!

Bill Callahan has done an outstanding job with the O-line.

I'm excited going forward. I still think we can win the division. Even if we don't, this team is finally built to win, we are getting there.

We have plenty of reasons to be frustrated, but we shouldn't forget the tremendous improvements of this team. We lack a good running game, a good rush defense, and winning habits. But how far are we from the trash team everybody laughed at, when we were debating if either Rex Grossman or John Beck should start? I say we need to stay with KC and build, if we change QB now, or next season, we have absolutely no guarantee and finding someone nearly as good as him, and it would break our momentum.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

5-3 sure would have felt a lot better than 4-3-1, still, we have a team that will likely be competitive down to the wire and we've got some really nice young players that we're building around. These aren't the same old Skins.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

This year I have hopes to grab a wildcard spot, but next year my hopes go up quite a bit with one more draft and a chance to shore up a couple spots in free agency.

I think we've learned that the offensive line we have is very good, we know Matt Jones is not a viable answer, and that while Jackson's speed is valuable his aging is going to lead to disappearing from games more often than he'll take them over. I think the plan would be status quo on the line, upgrade at RB through the draft, and let Jackson go with Doctson sliding in his place.

On defense we have learned that we still need more of a pass rushing threat and we need more along the defensive line. Free agent funds should go to the DL in my mind, with draft picks reinforcing all levels of the defense.

And then there's the all important Quarterback Question. I think you have to resign Cousins and hope that over time he makes improvements as he gains big-game experience. That said, you don't stop drafting QBs in the middle or lower rounds, because you never know.

We should be ready to contend for conference titles beginning next year.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

As for this year, we are definitely in control of our own destiny. We get the Vikings, Packers, Cardinals, Panthers, Eagles and Giants again. All of those teams are Wild Card contenders. Beating as many of them as possible is key. I like our chances against all of those teams, we're catching the Vikings at the right time which is huge.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Just wish we could have seen Docston this year. We would have been able to make a way better decision on Jackson/Garcon if we did.
To me this is an easy decision. Garcon brings way more to the table than Jackson does. They can let Ross run the routes Jackson does for a quarter of the price. Hope they bring him back and let Jackson walk.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
To me this is an easy decision. Garcon brings way more to the table than Jackson does. They can let Ross run the routes Jackson does for a quarter of the price. Hope they bring him back and let Jackson walk.

I agree, Garçon is far more valuable. I've been saying it all along that I think they'll let Jackson walk and try to re-sign PG. Whether he wants to come back is another story but we shall see.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This year I have hopes to grab a wildcard spot, but next year my hopes go up quite a bit with one more draft and a chance to shore up a couple spots in free agency.

I think we've learned that the offensive line we have is very good, we know Matt Jones is not a viable answer, and that while Jackson's speed is valuable his aging is going to lead to disappearing from games more often than he'll take them over. I think the plan would be status quo on the line, upgrade at RB through the draft, and let Jackson go with Doctson sliding in his place.

On defense we have learned that we still need more of a pass rushing threat and we need more along the defensive line. Free agent funds should go to the DL in my mind, with draft picks reinforcing all levels of the defense.

And then there's the all important Quarterback Question. I think you have to resign Cousins and hope that over time he makes improvements as he gains big-game experience. That said, you don't stop drafting QBs in the middle or lower rounds, because you never know.

We should be ready to contend for conference titles beginning next year.
Resigning Cousins is not a guarantee, whether they want to or not. He's definitely the priority in my opinion, but that doesn't mean the two sides can work anything out...suppose they could tag him again though.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Resigning Cousins is not a guarantee, whether they want to or not. He's definitely the priority in my opinion, but that doesn't mean the two sides can work anything out...suppose they could tag him again though.
Price on the franchise tag would be $24M.

Are you pessimistic about their chances to resign him? If so, why?
Old 11-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Price on the franchise tag would be $24M.

Are you pessimistic about their chances to resign him? If so, why?
I'm not necessarily pessimistic. It probably makes sense for both sides to get a deal done. However, a lot can occur between now and then, and who knows what other teams may offer him, and what DS is willing to pay him. I'm just saying it is not a guarantee that it happens. I am hopeful it does though.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote