Redskins v. Jets Gameday Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-19-2015, 01:24 AM   #331
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins v. Jets Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
Our third quarters are really inexplicably bad. Never seen anything like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is what I miss the most from the glory days. Gibbs always seemed to come up with the best halftime adjustments...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #332
calia
Playmaker

Agreed. And he always saved something for the second half that was a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #333
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I think that is a fair enough argument but I think last year was a chance for Scot and Jay to evaluate both personnel and staff. But if McCoy gives them the best to succeed why isn't he starting? Do you think Jay has an agenda against him? Can't coach both?
Maybe Gruden is not going off of last year.....maybe he's thinking in terms of how each quarterback has performed during mini camp, OTAs, training camp, and preseason... he's sticking with Cousins not because he thinks he gives the Redskins the better chance to win but he thinks Kirk Cousins can develop into a great quarterback and he thinks by allowing him to play and make these perpetual mistakes is apart of the process of Cousins developing....on the other hand he has a journeyman quarterback in Colt McCoy who is more battle hardened.... the ongoing loyalty to Cousins is frustrating as well as baffling.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #334
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangee7 View Post
I've been a big supporter of Jay, but even I realize we are being out coached in the 2nd half of games.

I fully expected JG to have growing pains last year...afterall, it's a big step from coordinator to be the man in charge of everything...every practice, every break, every big call, etc.

No doubt his head was swimming last year.

But, he had a full off season to REFLECT & REACT....the results thus far are not showing much improvement.

I would have thought with Callahan on board that he'd be a strong influence, but truthfully, none of us are seeing it.

c'mon Jay, we're running out of games...hold yourself as accountable as you do everyone else & start stepping it up.
The jury is still out for me on Gruden but I think its difficult to judge anything with all the injuries this team has. I know all teams have injuries but this team has no depth and now that the injuries are piling up the lack of depth really shows.

Cousins definitely needs to improve his accuracy but without a run game he's playing with 1 are tied behind his back. The O line just cant seem to open any holes for the RBs but again that's an injury thing.

I think it would be a huge mistake to panic now and start chasing the next best thing when the sample size on this thing is still so small. The first half showed some real signs of progress that teams from a few years ago never would have done. This team has been being broken for a long long time and its not going to be fixed in 1 or 2 seasons.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #335
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post
frick it, start Captain Kirk and get a better draft pick. Our QB of the future is not on the team..... cant play RG3 to brittle, mcoy is weak armed. Jay made his bed so make him sleep in it. boot him out at the end of the year
I agree 100 percent. We knew KC was the best of 3 bad options. And starting a qb roundhouse is pointless. Ride the qb out and develop the rest of the team's cohesion around one guy. This is about building a competitive base this year.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #336
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRedskins View Post
A friend IMed me this evening and asked me my thoughts on the rumor of Jay getting fired during the buy week and Bill C taking over.

Has anybody seen this rumor?
Really not hard to believe at all. Bill Callahan has HC experience - the players seem to play to him, wouldn't be a bad move IMO....
Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #337
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Really not hard to believe at all. Bill Callahan has HC experience - the players seem to play to him, wouldn't be a bad move IMO....
Callahan is one of those guys whose great at what he does good - get an OLine motivated and going, but not at being a HC.

From his Wiki
Quote:
Despite the success of his 2002 team, the 2003 Raiders had a losing record. After his team got off to a 2–5 start, many of his players, in particular Charles Woodson, publicly criticized the coach, even suggesting that Callahan was deliberately trying to sabotage the season. According to Woodson, the Raider locker room was almost in a state of mutiny against Callahan, a claim corroborated by veteran receiver Tim Brown and others. Callahan, his supporters claim, had recognized that the team was aging and needed younger talent. To get it, he would have to cut existing salaries, an assertion that did not sit well with many of the team's veterans. It did not help that quarterback Rich Gannon was sidelined with injuries for much of the season. On Nov 30, after a 22–8 loss to the Denver Broncos, Callahan said the Raiders must have been "the dumbest team in America in terms of playing the game." After a lackluster 4–12 season, Callahan was fired...
Also, he basically builds OL's and leaves. He was asst HC /OL in NYJ from 2008 to 2011, OC/OL in Dallas from 2011-2014, and now OL coach for half a year, with an unfinished line.

A lot of people hate on DS, but all I see in this thread, and this board anymore is the same lack of patience he gets criticized for all the time.

Gruden had a very bad day yesterday, from the 3rd qtr debacle to his lack of answer for it in the press conference. But he has been a HC coach for 18 months. He came in and was tied to 3 mediocre qb's and was hamstrung by the owner even on that.

IF we are going to progress as an organization, SM needs to let this guy lead the team for a season, if he loses the players, than that's different. But the process of being a head coach in this league is something that takes some time.

I believe we've seen a better managed and run team. We had no penalties for 3 quarters. Time management at the halfs has gotten a bit better. I do think right now he lacks the "killer instinct" and I think that permeates through the team. And he's got to figure out why his halftime system leads to crappy third quarters/2nd halves.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #338
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Gruden doubled down on KC this year. If KC fails, so does Gruden. I thought one of the more telling comments during Gruden's post game presser was "We have a lot invested in Kirk." To my recollection, never made a statement like that about RGIII.

In addition, the excuses he was coming up for KC just caused me to face palm - it was the wind, everyone makes bad decisions, the 2nd int was just a long punt, the "vanilla" defense Jets played was a change-up b/c KC thought they were going they to be bringing pressure.

He seems to hold everyone but KC accountable.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #339
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

From Keim:

Quote:
Coach Jay Gruden. The Redskins now have been outscored 46-3 in the third quarter of games this season. Also, it’s fine that he wants to stick by Cousins. Sometimes his defense of Cousins goes overboard; the conditions weren’t the best and the run game didn’t work, but he could have played better. The Redskins had plenty of excuses not to win Sunday, so I'm not blaming him for the loss at all. And the third-quarter woes aren't all on him. But with Cousins, all he really needed to say was that he has to play better and they can't afford the mistakes. Cousins can handle the truth.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #340
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Gruden doubled down on KC this year. If KC fails, so does Gruden. I thought one of the more telling comments during Gruden's post game presser was "We have a lot invested in Kirk." To my recollection, never made a statement like that about RGIII.

In addition, the excuses he was coming up for KC just caused me to face palm - it was the wind, everyone makes bad decisions, the 2nd int was just a long punt, the "vanilla" defense Jets played was a change-up b/c KC thought they were going they to be bringing pressure.

He seems to hold everyone but KC accountable.
He also said that none of the QB's at this stage of their careers can carry the team. Basically he was saying the other options are worse that what's currently playing.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #341
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Gruden cannot say none of the QB's on this staff are his guy....if that's true
I look at Kirk like his......John Beck
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #342
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Cousins has 10 multiple interception games. 10 folks...10. Think about that.

Cousin apologists, officially get the f*ck out.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #343
Evilgrin
The Starter

Gruden inherited them, but he always talks to much.

Redskins #2 In Revenue Per Year!
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #344
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Cousins has 10 multiple interception games. 10 folks...10. Think about that.

Cousin apologists, officially get the f*ck out.
Where do the people go that think "Cousins isnt great but hes the best option we have on this roster" go?

Or is there no middle ground for reasonable minded people who understand that injuries to our top players + 31 rushing yards = loss.

Our strength is running the ball and stopping the run. We did neither last week or this week ... but lets focus solely on our average Qb having a below average game ...... and make sure to blast any skins fan who doesnt want to burn Cousins at the stake.

Cousins is the 4th or 5th reason why we lost yesterday.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #345
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Just as I believe Scot McCloughan wants to bring his own handpicked QB to this team (he's already doing that with the RB position), I also believe he wants to do the same with the coach.

To me, what McC is building up in terms of personnel, doesn't quite match to what I think Gruden wants to do, at least offensively. I'd be curious to know how much influence McC has on whether Gruden gets fired or not.

At the end of the day, I don't think it'd be prudent to fire Gruden mid-season. Although he is not helping himself by continuing to be a Cousins apologist. And honestly, I think that is going to be his undoing.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote