Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #61
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 93,222
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Rivera said heís not interested in a long rebuild. You can bet he will have his eye on the playoffs right away. Thatís why Trent still has value here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #62
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,219
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
For me, Alex Smith is a far better human being and team mate. He will have more to do with the long-term success of our franchise through his mentorship of Haskins. He has no trade value. In fact, we would probably have to trade valuable draft picks to a team just to take him.
I respect how willing you are to stick to your belief that it's all about the money for Trent and the cancer/beef with Bruce and Larry Hess was just a distraction. Let's see how it plays out though.

I believe the staff changes and the new regime has made a reconciliation possible. And I'm not concerned with how you view Trent as a teammate unless you're in the locker room. If the other players would be happy to have Trent back (which I'm 1000% sure they would given his previous status as a team leader) that's good enough for me.

And as valuable as Alex Smith is, Haskins will have Rivera, Scott Turner, and whoever our qb coach is to learn from. He will either sink or swim, depending on how bad he wants it.

I'm pretty sure any team taking Smith knows it would be a salary dump, but I wouldn't expect to give up anything more than a 3rd day draft pick, which I'm fine with. We could always use the cap relief.
__________________
Thank you Bruce Allen
Because of you the culture
can now be damn good
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #63
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 93,222
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Seems like Hess has a good share of players both current and ex that arenít big fans of his.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #64
Kope
Special Teams
 
Kope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 444
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Rivera said heís not interested in a long rebuild. You can bet he will have his eye on the playoffs right away. Thatís why Trent still has value here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #65
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,676
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I respect how willing you are to stick to your belief that it's all about the money for Trent and the cancer/beef with Bruce and Larry Hess was just a distraction. Let's see how it plays out though.
We will see. My position comes from Trents own statements regarding his motives and the multiple lies he's been caught in. If Trent comes back, apologizes for his toxic behavior, approves the independent investigation into his alleged medical malpractice, and plays out his current contract without demanding guaranteed money, then I will gladly admit I was wrong. But even in that scenario, the smarter thing for this team to do would be to trade him for compensation.


Quote:
I believe the staff changes and the new regime has made a reconciliation possible. And I'm not concerned with how you view Trent as a teammate unless you're in the locker room. If the other players would be happy to have Trent back (which I'm 1000% sure they would given his previous status as a team leader) that's good enough for me.
I agree that reconciliation is possible - if the skins give Trent guaranteed money and an extension, which i think would be incredibly stupid based entirely on his age, injury, and suspension history. We are not a team that is already elite and just needs a stud LT to make the superbowl. We are not a team that will benefit from barely making the playoffs in 2020 and then losing Trent in the offseason. We need players who can help us build SUSTAINED SUCCESS and Trent is not part of that equation.

Quote:
And as valuable as Alex Smith is, Haskins will have Rivera, Scott Turner, and whoever our qb coach is to learn from. He will either sink or swim, depending on how bad he wants it.
I agree with this. However, all the evidence so far indicates Haskins is most likely to be a bust. Haskins has done nothing without Smiths help to demonstrate he has he maturity and drive to be a pro. I don't think he has that inner drive to be a leader and franchise QB yet. He can get there, but I genuinely believe Smith is crucial to helping him build that mindset. Its too early to take the training wheels off. (It shouldn't be, but this is one of the many reasons why Haskins was a reach where we took him last year).

Quote:
I'm pretty sure any team taking Smith knows it would be a salary dump, but I wouldn't expect to give up anything more than a 3rd day draft pick, which I'm fine with. We could always use the cap relief.
I'm fine with a 3rd day pick, too. But if our primary goal is cap relief, trading TW makes even more sense as he could provide 67% of the relief and net us a substantially better pick.
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #66
Warthog
Impact Rookie
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 924
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

I believe Trent will come back. That fills a big hole in our OL with a very good OT for a couple years. Guys gave to give up being butt hurt that TW wanted to be traded after our crappy medical department mismanaged his cancer and Bruce Allen did his usual trait of alienating our best lineman by refusing to negotiate for a new contract NOR trade him.

Trent William will help us fix our OL. Forget that he asked to be traded after dealing with one of the most dysfunctional managements in the NFL. We should welcome him back for the good of the team and protecting Haskins.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #67
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,676
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
TW wanted to be traded after our crappy medical department mismanaged his cancer
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no evidence the team mismanaged his cancer and it is almost certainly a complete fabrication.
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #68
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 13,783
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
There is no evidence the team mismanaged his cancer and it is almost certainly a complete fabrication.


The team didnít mismanage his cancer they non managed it. What kind of evidence would there be of TW repeatedly telling team doctors about it and them repeatedly shrugging it off? Bruce Allen certainly isnít going to admit it. In his world things were always honky dory in Redskins world.
__________________
Douche Snyder ruined my Sundays.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #69
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 18,169
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
The team didnít mismanage his cancer they non managed it. What kind of evidence would there be of TW repeatedly telling team doctors about it and them repeatedly shrugging it off? Bruce Allen certainly isnít going to admit it. In his world things were always honky dory in Redskins world.
The NFL makes a huge deal of crucial catch every year. Several players were highlighted through the month of October where players were diagnosed and given remedy. The Skins (led by Allen and Hess I believe) basically did the minimum necessary for TW. I don't believe that Snyder would have ignored TWs cancer if he was aware of it early on. WE can't know for sure who knew what when, but TW and DS do, and IF they agree that Allen and Hess bear the brunt of blame then I hope Rivera brings Trent back.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #70
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,676
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The NFL makes a huge deal of crucial catch every year. Several players were highlighted through the month of October where players were diagnosed and given remedy. The Skins (led by Allen and Hess I believe) basically did the minimum necessary for TW. I don't believe that Snyder would have ignored TWs cancer if he was aware of it early on. WE can't know for sure who knew what when, but TW and DS do, and IF they agree that Allen and Hess bear the brunt of blame then I hope Rivera brings Trent back.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
We know the teams medical staff encouraged him to get it checked out by a specialist. We know that Trent failed to do so. We know that when he finally did follow their advice and things looked serious, Snyder gave Trent his private jet and sent him to get treated by the best Dr. in the country in Chicago. We know that team medical staff visited with Trent there. Yet despite the fact that all this happened, Trent said the team told him the growth was nothing to worry about, that he incurred $200,000 in travel expenses to go to Chicago, and that no one visited him. So someone is lying. The Redskins and NFLPA wanted an independent investigation to discover the truth, but Trent Williams denied their request. All the signs point to Trent as being the one that was lying. If he was telling the truth, he SHOULD have filed a grievance with the NFLPA AND a medical malpractice suit. But instead, he just wants to make all sort of accusations without allowing anyone else to verify if they are true or not.

Its takes a person of incredibly low character to behave in such a way. If we want to change the culture on this team, we need to get rid of guys like that.

Even if you're inclined to ignore all the warnings and believe Trent is 100% telling the truth and is the victim here, there's been so much drama, as part of a culture change, its best to give everyone a clean slate. If we trade trent, we get cap relief and valuable draft picks to build this team for the long-term. Trent gets a new contract with his new team and a fresh start. Its a win-win for everyone involved.
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #71
BaltimoreSkins
The Starter
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Parkton, MD
Posts: 2,233
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Rivera said heís not interested in a long rebuild. You can bet he will have his eye on the playoffs right away. Thatís why Trent still has value here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As in next year?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #72
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 93,222
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
As in next year?
Sure why not? The division was weak this year and everyone but Philly is going through major changes.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #73
Warthog
Impact Rookie
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 924
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

The whole cancer thing and Bruce Allen being a tool is just forgotten history. We need Trent Williams to fill a critical piece of our OL. Everyone makes mistakes. Forget what happened and offer him the guaranteed money for a couple years. He was an elite and respected warrior on this team when it was a dysfunctional, ridiculous dumpster fire.

Hire him and move on. Heís still a very good OT , and heís had a year to recover and rebuild his physique. We can fix this OL if the team makes the right moves and bringing back TW is one of them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #74
BaltimoreSkins
The Starter
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Parkton, MD
Posts: 2,233
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Fair enough we had lame duck coaching all season. I just think a 6-7 win improvement would be incredible. Many of the areas that determine success, turnover ratio, point differential were abyssal this year and while it will gravitate toward the norm.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #75
Schneed10
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 11,884
Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Fair enough we had lame duck coaching all season. I just think a 6-7 win improvement would be incredible. Many of the areas that determine success, turnover ratio, point differential were abyssal this year and while it will gravitate toward the norm.
Thatís been the history for Del Rio when he takes over as DC. Massive improvement in defensive performance in year one.

Then with the cap space we have weíll likely solve problems along the offensive line, which combined with Guice, Bryce Love, and Peterson still under contract it spells the foundation for a ground and pound.

I pretty much expect 8-8 or better at the moment, understanding that expectation includes a bit of a smart spending spree.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.16390 seconds with 10 queries