Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #16
30gut
Playmaker

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
It's hard for me to think of it as MORE of a mistake when no draft pick was wasted.

Your question is a good one but it's just impossible to answer now. If one of our three current QBs really establishes himself this year (hopefully Griffin), then it won't be a mistake.

If they don't then we could have this discussion, it would only be a mistake if the QBs we passed on in 2015 end up looking good. Like if Petty or Hundley tear it up then yeah we will kick ourselves.

It's just too early to say. But as of right now I am a fan of our draft, we needed an attitude adjustment in the form of big nasty players to help establish an identity of toughness. I liked that every pick had toughness and competitiveness in common. At this point in time I'll take that over the (false?) hope that a new QB provides.
We can certainly opine on whether or not it was mistake to pass on QB. Just like you can opine that we should build the trenches. We don't have to wait to know the outcome to assess whether or not we think the plan is right.

Not having a contingency plan at QB going forward sure seems like a mistake with the state of our current QB group. Then when you add the fact that none of our QBs are under contract (2016) it sure seems like putting all our eggs into one basket.

Just as many praise the Matt Jones pick for its foresight at tge RB position why shouldn't lack of foresight at arguably the most important position on team be viewed as a mistake?

Around the league other franchise with better current QB situations drafted QBs to groom for the short/long term future. We stood pat and did not draft one. You hsay you think Halliday was their developmental guy but for me it's even more of mistake to target an UDFA as their developmental QB and therefore chose to pass over all the QBs for a prospect that they do not have. Go by your hypothesis it would mean that yes they saw the need for a developmental QB but failed to acquire one they liked.

Talking about what they should have done after the fact is nothing more then second guessing. And to be clear we had a chance to draft any QB from Grayson to Trevor Siemain.

And criticizing one FO decision does not in anyway mean that I'm anything but pleased with the overall direction of the FO.

Last edited by 30gut; 05-24-2015 at 09:23 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Griffin will be fine with this Line
Old 05-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #18
HailGreen28
Playmaker

The best chance to get a great QB is when you pick high. Obviously the team won't be doing well when you are able to do so.

We had a decent line, and a running game that a lot of QBs would have killed for the last couple years. Hardly anyone has 5 studs at OL. We have a HC that did very well as Cincinatti's OC.

We are ready for a good QB. Whether it's Griffin or Cousins that steps up, or we bring in someone else.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #19
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
...We are ready for a good QB. Whether it's Griffin or Cousins that steps up, or we bring in someone else.
Agreed.

What's your take on not drafting a QB?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I believe that when the line is right, then you spend draft pick(s) on the qb. The more so when you have two potential boom/bust guys already on the roster.

So no, i don't think it was a mistake, regardless of how this year's batch of qb's do.

There will be more qbs available next year.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Agreed.

In Scot I trust. We have two QBs that might work out. I can only go on what others say about how good the draftees were, that there wasn't a really good prospect out there for us. Glad we got Scherff, whether he plays G or OT.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #22
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
In Scot I trust. We have two QBs that might work out. I can only go on what others say about how good the draftees were, that there wasn't a really good prospect out there for us. Glad we got Scherff, whether he plays G or OT.
In Scot we trust goes without saying.

Sure we have 2 QBs that might work out. But those same 2 QBs might fail and if they fail we start next season back at square one with no QB and quite possibly no HC.

Garrett Grayson was considered by many, including Jay's own brother, as a pro-ready plug and play QB in this system. There were positive comments about all of the QBs. Its easy to say well the QBs weren't good that's why we didn't draft them but we don't know.

What we do know is that we have question marks at our QB spot and no QB signed for the 2016 season not even a development QB. I can't think of why that's not a mistake.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #23
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
....So no, i don't think it was a mistake, regardless of how this year's batch of qb's do.

There will be more qbs available next year.
But you can say that about any position: "there will be more _______ available next year."

If both Griffin and Colt fail wouldn't you rather have a QB hand picked by the HC then not? I don't understand the logic that both QB can fail yet NOT having a draft pick QB waiting in the wings is okay.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
But you can say that about any position: "there will be more _______ available next year."

If both Griffin and Colt fail wouldn't you rather have a QB hand picked by the HC then not? I don't understand the logic that both QB can fail yet NOT having a draft pick QB waiting in the wings is okay.
Look at Seattle as the basic concept. They spent the first two years I believe strengthening their team before investing in matt Flynn and Russell Wilson.

Or from another perspective, any late qb would start at best as 3rd string with very little chance to play. Every draft pick we took likely has atleast the shot to play ST. A drafted qb would simply be a wasted roster spot/draft pick this season

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #25
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agreed.

We took best player available, so at anytime in the draft a qb was not a good pick. So I feel fine.

Let's talk this year qb crop, maybe d- on a good day. Wasn't a lot out there.

As someone mentioned before, next year class will most likely be stacked. Maybe 4 first rounders right now...so if this years goes bad, Jay is probably gone and McC will get to chose his coach. With his new coach will get to pick his new qb. I think that's the route this is going if cousins and rg3 don't pan this year.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I don't think very many coaches were..... Thrilled with any of the qb's in this years draft. Was there any team that really tried to go up and get one?
As has been intimated, fix the line and some other things
Then......
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #27
Defensewins
Playmaker

No. What would have been a mistake is using/wasting a valuable draft pick and reaching for a QB that ends up not making the team. We had too many other basic needs to be worried about a #4 developmental QB that our GM was not high on. This draft was a weak qb class. the world will not implode.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #28
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
No. What would have been a mistake is using/wasting a valuable draft pick and reaching for a QB that ends up not making the team. We had too many other basic needs to be worried about a #4 developmental QB that our GM was not high on. This draft was a weak qb class. the world will not implode.
The world is gonna explode?

I think the scenario you laid out above is the definition of a false dichotomy.

Lol so according to you its either we don't draft a QB or ~Scott wastes a pick reaching on a QB he doesn't like that won't make the team.

Well wow we certainly dodged a bullet there, lol.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #29
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I don't think very many coaches were..... Thrilled with any of the qb's in this years draft. Was there any team that really tried to go up and get one?.
Like with any prospects in any draft some coaches and scouts will like them and some wont. Only time will tell.

For me its as simple as this:

Would you agree that QB is a position that needed to be addressed?

Was that area addressed?
Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #30
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Like with any prospects in any draft some coaches and scouts will like them and some wont. Only time will tell.

For me its as simple as this:

Would you agree that QB is a position that needed to be addressed?

Was that area addressed?
If McLovin spent two or three picks on QBs to address the issue at QB and none of them make the roster, the QB position would still need to be addressed.

Instead, he invested in guys that have a legit shot at making the roster and immediately contributing on special teams. His picks simultaneously (through BPA) build depth on a very thin team.

I'm in favor of BPA even if it doesn't address an immediate need such as QB.

I don't think it was a mistake if our picks were higher on our draft board than the QBs still available.

I would like to see how the QBs on our roster play with upgraded pass protection combined with running the ball effectively while not playing from behind by two touchdowns.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote