Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-11-2023, 05:50 AM   #76
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Scott Turner Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Good riddance IMO.

I get the feeling next season will be weird anyway, depending on the timing of the sale: does it happen before the draft, after the draft, or next offseason all together ? Anyway Ron will still probably be there so it still won't be the fresh start we're yearning for.

Also, with how many of us bitched about Turner not running the ball enough, I don't understand the fuss over Ron's comments. Howell has one good game and suddenly we want to be Kansas City's offense ?
KC's offense is way out of reach - because we don't have Mahomes or Andy Reid coaching this team. Just saying Ron's comments sound like someone preparing for a game manager QB who can hand the ball off 30 times a game and can only win games by controlling the tempo and dominating time of possession.

He has the opportunity to build the roster and coaching staff in his image - and his image is not something that has won many titles in the last 20 years.

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2023, 06:00 AM   #77
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
KC's offense is way out of reach - because we don't have Mahomes or Andy Reid coaching this team. Just saying Ron's comments sound like someone preparing for a game manager QB who can hand the ball off 30 times a game and can only win games by controlling the tempo and dominating time of possession.

He has the opportunity to build the roster and coaching staff in his image - and his image is not something that has won many titles in the last 20 years.
Anyway Ron has probably just one season left unless the sale takes for ever... I don't trust him to build this roster and I don't think the old school power run physical team is the way to have sustained success in today's NFL. But we were screaming "run the effin ball" at Turner all season long, so I do think there's a bit of over reaction to Ron expressing his difference of views with Turner.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:43 AM   #78
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Anyway Ron has probably just one season left unless the sale takes for ever... I don't trust him to build this roster and I don't think the old school power run physical team is the way to have sustained success in today's NFL. But we were screaming "run the effin ball" at Turner all season long, so I do think there's a bit of over reaction to Ron expressing his difference of views with Turner.
I'm not saying we need to be passing the ball 70% of the time, a balanced attack is totally necessary. Just saying Ron talks like a guy who has no interest in a passing game that attacks the defense.

https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/1612878730686242816
Old 01-11-2023, 07:25 AM   #79
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm not saying we need to be passing the ball 70% of the time, a balanced attack is totally necessary. Just saying Ron talks like a guy who has no interest in a passing game that attacks the defense.

Ron's a dinosaur and proved it again during yesterday's presser. The Bears led the league in rushing, how'd that work for them?
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:43 AM   #80
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

To be fair I didn't listen to the presser. And I agree Ron isn't up to date with what the NFL has become. The only thing he has for him is being a nice guy IMO, his coaching, in game decision, and roster management skills are mediocre at best.
My only point was that after a season of screaming for Turner to realize we didn't have the means to be a pass happy offense, the will to be "more physical team" didn't feel completely out of touch with what we saw this year.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #81
EdmundDorf
The Starter

My trouble with Rons comments about offensive philosophy is he spent the last two off seasons spending cap space and high draft picks on WRs and neglected the OL. That is totally contrary to what he says he wants. He wants a power run game but spends millions on Curtis Samuel as a "weapon" which involves him being used heavily as a RB, has Gibson as his starter last year and cut the one genuine power back we had so they failed miserably when trying to convert 3rd/4th and short. I don't think Ron knows what he wants, which may well be the problem.
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:04 AM   #82
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Just firing Turner means another year of RR, sigh
Old 01-11-2023, 08:24 AM   #83
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Just firing Turner means another year of RR, sigh
With the sale we probably weren't getting a new HC anyway.
Next season will be a wash IMO. We may have a new owner but with remains from the old regime. The real fresh start will be 2024.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:30 AM   #84
MTK
\m/

Can't say Turner didn't deserve the boot, but 8 different starting QB's in 3 years? Hard to say that's really a fair shake. The QB mess is on Ron, but Turner takes the fall.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:49 AM   #85
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Can't say Turner didn't deserve the boot, but 8 different starting QB's in 3 years? Hard to say that's really a fair shake. The QB mess is on Ron, but Turner takes the fall.
Yeah and neither of those 8 were legit QB1's LOL. It's not easy winning football games with below AVG QB play. I hope they bring in a young mind that has a balanced attack like they do in Philly , SF , Cincy Etc
Old 01-11-2023, 08:55 AM   #86
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Slowik is intriguing, but he has no ties to RR that I can tell, so I'm not sure he's on the short list. Could be good though if he'd even be interested.

RR better hire someone who can get this offense rolling though, or he's sure to be gone by mid-season.

Even a stubborn ass like Ron has to understand that his ties have been a failure both on the staff and on the field. If he wants to save his job long term he needs to think outside the box. Especially when it comes to the offense. Slowik is looking to be an OC not a passing game coordinator who answers to the HC. I really hope someone in our organization has him on the radar and makes it happen.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:05 AM   #87
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

100% correct. I also wonder how much Ron's 1985 offensive philosophy wouldn't allow Turner to do what he really wanted.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:11 AM   #88
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yeah and neither of those 8 were legit QB1's LOL. It's not easy winning football games with below AVG QB play. I hope they bring in a young mind that has a balanced attack like they do in Philly , SF , Cincy Etc
What young dynamic offensive mind would want to come here and work for Dinosaur Ron? Unfortunately with the ownership situation we are stuck with Ron and whatever friend he brings in to be an OC. Next year is a lame duck year for Ron and his staff.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:29 AM   #89
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Our team, with no other changes, has a 99% chance of being better next year simply by replacing Turner. So today was a good day:

And don't forget having Snyder out of the picture will be a big plus.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:37 AM   #90
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
What young dynamic offensive mind would want to come here and work for Dinosaur Ron? Unfortunately with the ownership situation we are stuck with Ron and whatever friend he brings in to be an OC. Next year is a lame duck year for Ron and his staff.
If he replaces Turner with Ken Zampese it’s gonna be extremely disappointing

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote