Langston Walker Cut:

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
jdlea
Playmaker

Re: Langston Walker Cut:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
the Bills have the worst Oline in football and they cut him. He must suck.
And they traded Jason Peters because of how invaluable he was? Please.

I'm not saying Langston Walker is a savior, but he's certainly better than Mike Williams. As a matter of fact, it hasn't been that long since they cut Mike Williams...hmmmm
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
the Bills have the worst Oline in football and they cut him. He must suck.
Still bitter over the Brohm backlash?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Bills cut their starting LT too? WTF is going on in Buffalo? I don't know much about him, not as if we have the room to sign him anyhow, but he was their starting LT -- he must be somewhat desirable.
Maybe the ability to make roster moves is in Owens' contract.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Let's ask a few questions, is Walker going to be interested in a backup job? Also, is he interested in taking a cheap contract, because our cap room is pretty slim. For those reasons I think we're stuck with Williams for better or worse.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Seriously, the only time he ever had upside, he was coming out of Texas. He never lived up to his potential. Everyone wants to be enamored by the fact that he was a first round pick 7 years ago. It's no accident that he was out of the league for 2 years, he's not a very good football player. He did nothing to disprove that in the final preseason game.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why he stayed over Bridges. I like him and admire his work ethic, but the fact remains that I can't think of one DE who can't beat him off the ball.
Just a couple of things to think about Williams.....
-Many people never thought he'd make it down to the weight he did.
-The biggest adjustment to the NFL from college is speed and depth of talent, it's going to take a few weeks of reps as the scout team against our 1st D to get MW back up to "speed".
- MW & Dock are buddies since college. We bring in MW, he works his ass off and does everything asked of him, and then we cut him without him getting a shot to get completely back in game shape? I'd say that would affect Dock's mind-set.
- Buges isn't an idiot.
- What if, just what if, he returns to close to the player he was at TX. We'll have gotten one of the major steals of the off-season, possibly any off-season. If he doesn't make it back, what have we lost....nothing. Bridges isn't a significant upgrade anyway, if he was he'd still be here.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
stu_nna
Special Teams

Quote:
Seriously, the only time he ever had upside, he was coming out of Texas. He never lived up to his potential. Everyone wants to be enamored by the fact that he was a first round pick 7 years ago. It's no accident that he was out of the league for 2 years, he's not a very good football player. He did nothing to disprove that in the final preseason game.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why he stayed over Bridges. I like him and admire his work ethic, but the fact remains that I can't think of one DE who can't beat him off the ball.
I dont get it. Everyone had a chance to prove themselves and improve threw 4 preseason games. Willams gets one game and now we are supposed to cut ties? Not only that he has two bad plays and all of a sudden he's our worst offensive lineman. Im not buying that. Nor am i buying he's washed up at the age of 29. This guy has potential and i was not suprised in the least to see him stay. We gave Heyer time and it panned very well. I think Bugel likes what he sees, I know i do.
stu_nna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_nna View Post
Cut Williams? No thanks, this guy is a powerful run blocker who just has rust cause he hasn't played for years. Once his body get adjusted to the NFL (ill say week 4) he is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Too much upside to warrant cutting

I agree, and the points you make are the reason's he's here.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
I think Bugel likes what he sees, I know i do.
What exactly have you seen from him to like, as far as helping this football team? All I know about Mike Williams is that he'd have a good chance of winning if he were on The Biggest Loser.

And I keep hearing "upside" and "potential", but those terms aren't usually applied to a player that was drafted seven seasons ago, and cut three seasons ago.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
GridIron26
Playmaker

Redskins Insider - Dockery's Ex-Teammate Seems Unlikely Fit
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #25
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Just a couple of things to think about Williams.....
-Many people never thought he'd make it down to the weight he did.
-The biggest adjustment to the NFL from college is speed and depth of talent, it's going to take a few weeks of reps as the scout team against our 1st D to get MW back up to "speed".
- MW & Dock are buddies since college. We bring in MW, he works his ass off and does everything asked of him, and then we cut him without him getting a shot to get completely back in game shape? I'd say that would affect Dock's mind-set.
- Buges isn't an idiot.
- What if, just what if, he returns to close to the player he was at TX. We'll have gotten one of the major steals of the off-season, possibly any off-season. If he doesn't make it back, what have we lost....nothing. Bridges isn't a significant upgrade anyway, if he was he'd still be here.
To your points:
I already said I commend him for cutting the weight and I'm pulling for him, but if there's an upgrade available it should be made.

Speed? The guy must never have adjusted because he's never been effective, even when he was in his prime.

Dockery's feelings shouldn't have anything to do with keeping Williams on the team.

I agree with you about Bugel, I think he can coach him up, but we didn't get much out of Heyer last year who is (presently) a far better football player than Mike Williams. If Bugel could turn everyone into great lineman, we wouldn't have gone downhill last year. There has to be more than just a body there, there needs to be a lot of talent to play RT at this level.

Okay, that's a fair point. How likely do you think that is? And the counterpoint is obviously, "what if he doesn't?" What if he's a turnstyle like he was in Buffalo and Jacksonville?

He was a first round pick who was cut after 4 season and 48 starts, he had one hell of a shot to make it in the NFL when it was far more likely that he would. He even signed on with Jacksonville after being cut and couldn't stay in the league then, there's nothing that suggest Mike Williams will be a "find." There is evidence he could be garbage. See: Mike Williams' career.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
I dont get it. Everyone had a chance to prove themselves and improve threw 4 preseason games. Willams gets one game and now we are supposed to cut ties? Not only that he has two bad plays and all of a sudden he's our worst offensive lineman. Im not buying that. Nor am i buying he's washed up at the age of 29. This guy has potential and i was not suprised in the least to see him stay. We gave Heyer time and it panned very well. I think Bugel likes what he sees, I know i do.
The problem is Heyer wasn't 29 when the Skins got him. If Mike Williams is on the Stephon Heyer learning curve he'll be 32 when he's ready to contribute. He has no more potential at this point than he did coming out of college when he was mediocre at best.

Everyone's reacting like I hate the guy. I hope he finds NFL success. I just don't care if it's in Washington. There are plenty of guys out there who can help this team. If Walker is better than him (I happen to think he is) then the Skins should go get him. Plain and simple. Tons of decisions like this happen everyday, this wouldn't be the first time a team gave up on a 29 year old with upside...actually, maybe it would, because 29 year olds generally have no upside, they've reached their potential and if Mike Williams reached his back in Buffalo, he's not worth keeping around while he works himself back in shape.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #27
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
He was a first round pick who was cut after 4 season and 48 starts, he had one hell of a shot to make it in the NFL when it was far more likely that he would. He even signed on with Jacksonville after being cut and couldn't stay in the league then, there's nothing that suggest Mike Williams will be a "find." There is evidence he could be garbage. See: Mike Williams' career
I agree with you if we can find a significant upgrade we should make the move, but Walker doesn't appear to be it. I would not want to outright release MW if possible(though I'm not sure how we could do it).

- MW was always seen as more of mauling run blocker, not a great pass-pro guy. Normally the LDE isn't going to have tremendous speed off the edge, although there are exceptions.

- I agree Dock's feelings shouldn't really be taken into much consideration, but in reality it could have an effect and doesn't send a good message. Although the Patriots send some crappy messages to veteran players and they seem to be fine.

- Maybe 40% at this point, but Buges should be able to make the determination by week 4 if MW is picking it up or not. If so, great, win. If not we don't take a cap hit and dump the guy for the best available player out there or bring back Bridges or one of the other released players.

- I'm being optimistic, and hoping that this guy realizes what he was throwing away (his life, football) by his laziness. Hopefully his newfound work ethic will pay off for him and the Skins. You're right the evidence points to the opposite, but I'm relying on Buges' 30+ years of experience to be able to determine this is the right move.[/quote]
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #28
backrow
The Starter

I've watched the 2nd half of the Jax game on my DVR just in order to watch MW. He's nothing special except this years Burgandy & Gold biggest loser. And I mean that in the nicest way!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
I've watched the 2nd half of the Jax game on my DVR just in order to watch MW. He's nothing special except this years Burgandy & Gold biggest loser. And I mean that in the nicest way!
I think he pushed the DE's back on a straight head to head, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in on short ydge or goal line pushes this year.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #30
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I agree with you if we can find a significant upgrade we should make the move, but Walker doesn't appear to be it. I would not want to outright release MW if possible(though I'm not sure how we could do it).

- MW was always seen as more of mauling run blocker, not a great pass-pro guy. Normally the LDE isn't going to have tremendous speed off the edge, although there are exceptions.

- I agree Dock's feelings shouldn't really be taken into much consideration, but in reality it could have an effect and doesn't send a good message. Although the Patriots send some crappy messages to veteran players and they seem to be fine.

- Maybe 40% at this point, but Buges should be able to make the determination by week 4 if MW is picking it up or not. If so, great, win. If not we don't take a cap hit and dump the guy for the best available player out there or bring back Bridges or one of the other released players.

- I'm being optimistic, and hoping that this guy realizes what he was throwing away (his life, football) by his laziness. Hopefully his newfound work ethic will pay off for him and the Skins. You're right the evidence points to the opposite, but I'm relying on Buges' 30+ years of experience to be able to determine this is the right move.
And that's fine, you and I just happen to disagree on these points. I wish I were as optimistic as you are. However, I'm just not sold on him being great. It doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him. If he hits the field, I hope he's the best tackle I've ever seen, I just don't believe it would happen and I think that Walker would be an upgrade.

I would like to add, Walker would have to come at the right price, knowing there's no competition, he's the backup. Like Matty said before, we don't know that he'd take that, but those would be the conditions under which I'd pursue him.