Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #16
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Happy New Year - Ring in the year with a wish and a warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Agreed on both counts.

We fuck up picking the wrong qb it will set this franchise back another 3-5 years.

Cred I agree, I'd love a name change. But it's not a priority. Whatever the name is I want people to put respect on it because we're a tough team to play.
I love every draft, but this is definitely the most excited I've been about a draft in years. I will be surprised if we don't go QB, but I would be happy with Harrison, Fashanu, or Alt if we don't go QB. Picking at 2 or 3, there are so many options. We have to be a destination spot for GM/HC candidates this year. Money, picks, good ownership, really nothing more to ask for.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2024, 11:55 AM   #17
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Agreed on both counts.

We fuck up picking the wrong qb it will set this franchise back another 3-5 years.

Cred I agree, I'd love a name change. But it's not a priority. Whatever the name is I want people to put respect on it because we're a tough team to play.
not sure how it sets us back 3-5 years; it would set you back in that you are still in the QB hunt game

it think its more damaging to not consistently be trying to find your QB1
Old 01-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #18
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
not sure how it sets us back 3-5 years; it would set you back in that you are still in the QB hunt game

I think the set back part is if you sell the farm to trade up to No.1 , that would not seem to be such an issue now being at #2, but with such glaring weakness in the roster with many holes to fill if you send lots of draft picks in trade you can be in a deep hole if the QB doesn't work out. Look at Carolina.

But you are right, in the modern NFL you have to keep looking for a rookie QB1
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:12 PM   #19
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I think the set back part is if you sell the farm to trade up to No.1 , that would not seem to be such an issue now being at #2, but with such glaring weakness in the roster with many holes to fill if you send lots of draft picks in trade you can be in a deep hole if the QB doesn't work out. Look at Carolina.

That would be a big warning. Do not trade up to #1 from #2!
Old 01-02-2024, 12:38 PM   #20
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post

agree 100%
Old 01-02-2024, 01:24 PM   #21
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

SF blew it on Trey Lance, and they have still been able to field a high quality team. They got lucky with Purdy, and have competent individuals making personnel decisions though. That makes a difference.

That is also a perfect example though, of the "experts" not having it right. Trey Lance was highly touted, while Brock Purdy was an afterthought.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:31 PM   #22
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

Depends how the qb plays - if he plays mediocre but flashes every now and then our coaching staff would be more inclined to give him more time to learn and grow. If he still sucks after year 2 or 3 then you press reset but depending on record Harris might not be inclined to let the staff pick a new qb knowing they already fucked it up once. Example - if we go 2-14 in the 3rd year with a new coaching staff it's highly unlikely they'd get a 4th year to fix it. The system is predicated on showing improvement every year. If we aren't in playoff contention by year 3 safe to say the staff and half the roster are goners. Boom - your franchise had a boatload of draft picks, a fresh staff/FO, and a top 3 pick to select a qb and they failed. Who you pick matters way more than where you pick. Who was the last top 2 qb to become a surefire HOFer?
Old 01-02-2024, 01:35 PM   #23
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Exactly!

Seems like some Warpathers have a fear of failure and use draft status as a crutch for poor play.

If I have to endure a season like this then I want a chance to get the golden ticket. Drafting a guy like CJ Stroud is the fastest way to turn around a franchise. The guy took the sorry ass Texans from 3 wins to 9 this season with a game to go. It's not all on CJ but he is the most critical piece to their success.
If we get the pick wrong, we will have another great draft pick to get it right.
Shouldn't take 3-5 seasons to know if we have a star or not.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:01 PM   #24
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
SF blew it on Trey Lance, and they have still been able to field a high quality team. They got lucky with Purdy, and have competent individuals making personnel decisions though. That makes a difference.

That is also a perfect example though, of the "experts" not having it right. Trey Lance was highly touted, while Brock Purdy was an afterthought.
It's not just luck. Purdy walked into a pretty purdy situation, a team stocked with All-Pro's and a coaching staff who actually can turn Mr. Irrelevant into a Pro Bowl qb (suck an egg Josh McDaniels).

I'd go so far to argue if you fuck up the GM/coach it doesn't matter who you pick at qb. Purdy succeeded because Kyle S. knows how to develop players.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:58 PM   #25
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Depends how the qb plays - if he plays mediocre but flashes every now and then our coaching staff would be more inclined to give him more time to learn and grow. If he still sucks after year 2 or 3 then you press reset but depending on record Harris might not be inclined to let the staff pick a new qb knowing they already fucked it up once. Example - if we go 2-14 in the 3rd year with a new coaching staff it's highly unlikely they'd get a 4th year to fix it. The system is predicated on showing improvement every year. If we aren't in playoff contention by year 3 safe to say the staff and half the roster are goners. Boom - your franchise had a boatload of draft picks, a fresh staff/FO, and a top 3 pick to select a qb and they failed. Who you pick matters way more than where you pick. Who was the last top 2 qb to become a surefire HOFer?
Then with this line of thinking; sticking with Sam would set us back 3-5 years
Old 01-02-2024, 02:59 PM   #26
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
It's not just luck. Purdy walked into a pretty purdy situation, a team stocked with All-Pro's and a coaching staff who actually can turn Mr. Irrelevant into a Pro Bowl qb (suck an egg Josh McDaniels).

I'd go so far to argue if you fuck up the GM/coach it doesn't matter who you pick at qb. Purdy succeeded because Kyle S. knows how to develop players.
I get that argument, but then how does that explain why he couldn't do the same with Lance?
Old 01-02-2024, 03:11 PM   #27
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I get that argument, but then how does that explain why he couldn't do the same with Lance?
I am going to say it is between the ears issue. Matt Stover once said there were 100 kickers better than he was but they didn’t have the mental fortitude for the NFL. imagine QB is the same.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:25 PM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Same reason Jay Gruden did it with Kirk when he couldn't do it with RG3?

Idk Chief I'm not the qb whisperer.

My entire point is if Harris and co. fucks up the GM/coaching staff and they fuck up the qb it might set this franchise back years to come. GM and coach is just as important as the roster.

I'm not saying pick one guy and leave it alone - I agree you have to keep swinging until you hit one. The book isn't closed on Howell either, he might just need a few years of development.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:27 PM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I am going to say it is between the ears issue. Matt Stover once said there were 100 kickers better than he was but they didn’t have the mental fortitude for the NFL. imagine QB is the same.
Yeah... thats what I'm saying. Lets go with that
Old 01-02-2024, 04:56 PM   #30
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Same reason Jay Gruden did it with Kirk when he couldn't do it with RG3?

Idk Chief I'm not the qb whisperer.

My entire point is if Harris and co. fucks up the GM/coaching staff and they fuck up the qb it might set this franchise back years to come. GM and coach is just as important as the roster.

I'm not saying pick one guy and leave it alone - I agree you have to keep swinging until you hit one. The book isn't closed on Howell either, he might just need a few years of development.
That's why I believe there's a lot of luck involved. SF was unlucky with Lance, and lucky with Purdy. Which is precisely why you have to keep swinging, as you said.