Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jack Del Rio Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #76
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Jack Del Rio Thread

Seems like teams are calling quick pass plays against our D to negate the pass rush and pressure. I think the DL is really helping the secondary.

complimentary football.

finally.

Advertisements
Old 10-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #77
MTK
\m/

Just listening to Cooley's film breakdown of the D and he had glowing reviews of Everett and Curl. He said Everett played like a pro bowler against Dallas.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #78
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Seems like teams are calling quick pass plays against our D to negate the pass rush and pressure. I think the DL is really helping the secondary.

complimentary football.

finally.
You mean complementary, unless you're actually trying to congratulate them.

Worth pointing out too, if the O was able to sustain a drive before the Giants game, the D would probably be in even better standing. Once teams get a good lead, there's less chance of a turnover, never mind the clock being chewed up. :|
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #79
Warthog
The Starter

Jack Del Rio has brought this defense out of the depths of ineptitude to the top 10 defenses in the NFL. UNFORTUNATELY, the offense has way too many “3 and outs” and forces the defense to be on the field too much.

The team needs help at LB and Safety. When those holes are filled this defense will be top 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #80
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Jack Del Rio has brought this defense out of the depths of ineptitude to the top 10 defenses in the NFL. UNFORTUNATELY, the offense has way too many “3 and outs” and forces the defense to be on the field too much.

The team needs help at LB and Safety. When those holes are filled this defense will be top 5.

Agreed. I've said it before, a Suggs/Lewis/Reed type combo would make us a #1 D
Old 11-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #81
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Agreed. I've said it before, a Suggs/Lewis/Reed type combo would make us a #1 D
Funny thing is even without that they are 3rd overall and the number 1 passing defense in football.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:01 AM   #82
AnonEmouse
The Starter

But need to be better against the run. Part of being #1 pass D is that teams can run on us, so pass less. At times, from what I've seen at least, we're too shift up the middle and that seems to be lack of gap discipline and/or scheme. Short yardage plays particularly. Thats why a better LB corps and a run stopping S would help.
But by the same token we need a Taylor like ball hawk. I'd hoped Apke could develop into that with his speed, but nah.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #83
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
But need to be better against the run. Part of being #1 pass D is that teams can run on us, so pass less. At times, from what I've seen at least, we're too shift up the middle and that seems to be lack of gap discipline and/or scheme. Short yardage plays particularly. Thats why a better LB corps and a run stopping S would help.
But by the same token we need a Taylor like ball hawk. I'd hoped Apke could develop into that with his speed, but nah.

Agreed. The defense is terrible against the run, which is why the pass defense is so phenomenal. Allen is doing well. Is it Payne?? With Chase Young being double and even triple teamed, then everyone else is getting blocked one-on-one. The defense was doing so poorly against the run that Del Rio had to being in a DB to shore up the line. Part if it is LB play as well as us needing a hard-hitting S for the run.

Like I said, we need to bring in talent in LB and Safety. I think Collins is another over-priced defensive player brought in by Allen/Snyder. He’s ok but not anywhere near bloated contract he got. His injury allows the team try new talent and if we’re lucky we may get a keeper at S. But I believe the team will use some cap money to attract a very good player for S and also one for LB. I trust Smith to bring in quality players in FA. What a change after 20 years of Snyder choosing or influencing the player selection process. It will take 1-3 years to fix Snyder’s buffoonery, but Kyle Smith can do it. I also hope Rivera names Smith as the GM soon - he has pulled starters out of the UFA and low draft picks. Don’t let Kyle leave here for another team because he wasn’t promoted!!

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #84
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I think while there are good WR's possibly in FA, unless Robinson hits the market, there's no stars, so I'd use FA on S and if we get lucky LB (Lavonte David?). IF Justin Simmons or Anthony Harris enter FA I'd go after either or both. If we can't ship Collins or he's too expensive to cut, then one of these 2 alongside him might actually make him better.

Draft is almost certainly going to be QB top priority and then WR, TE, OL and CB, so take the best (value?) in FA for the other holes.

Re the OL, seems to me Settle is pushing Payne for the starting role, so I'm surprised he's not playing better. He should swallow RB's up the middle?
Old 11-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #85
DYoungJelly
The Starter

I don't think the DL is the problem at all.

The safeties and LBs have been missing their gap fits too often.

RR publicly called out the LBs this week. CH is playing well.

KPL and JB need to step it up big time.

Settle is a phenomenal back up and would start for most teams. He isn't going to unseat JA or DP to become a starter. DP is on a whole other level.

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 11-14-2020 at 07:30 PM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #86
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Give it up for JDR, Top 5 defense in the league
Old 12-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #87
MTK
\m/

Yeah give it up for JDR, we finally have a legit DC. Just makes it even more frustrating that Jay dicked around with bums like Manusky and Barry. But anyway, it's water under the bridge. We've got grown ups in the building now making decisions.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:18 PM   #88
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Honestly I was a bit down on JDR early on because I thought this D had more talent than what shown on field, and I really don't like that he's active on twitter (not talking about the political tweets, rather the ones responding to fans criticism or retweeting comments about the Giants being the best D in the NFCE with some sort of perplex emoji)...

But the last 3 weeks this D played full 60 minutes game, and I was really impressed with Monday's gameplan. That was smart, unexpected, and efficient.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #89
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Yeah give it up for JDR, we finally have a legit DC. Just makes it even more frustrating that Jay dicked around with bums like Manusky and Barry. But anyway, it's water under the bridge. We've got grown ups in the building now making decisions.
Amen.

Hard to assign blame between a dude who shouldn't have been a head coach and a dude who shouldn't have been a GM in Bruce.