Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Giants part 1 Dumpster Fire postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #31
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Giants part 1 Dumpster Fire postgame

Ok, so if I'm trying to see this as Ron legitimately trying to win... I have a really hard time not seeing it as one of the stupidest calls I have ever witnessed.

Let me put is this way.
In this situation, with this offense and this QB, what do you see as most likely:

A) Kicking the extra point, winning the OT toss, getting a FG and then a stop / losing the toss, getting a stop and a FG (or even scoring a TD drive, like they just had).

B) Getting the 2 points conversion.

?

With this offense and this QB in this game, I don't see how you pick B over A.
2 points conv is a 43% play in the league. So I don't see how it's better than a 20% play with our offense.

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 10-19-2020 at 12:03 AM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-18-2020, 11:36 PM   #32
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Ok maybe you're right. Maybe he's tanking. He went for two and ordered the offense to stay out of the end zone. Or maybe it was a secret handshake between he and Kyle...or a wink...

I'm not buying it. I'll give you the timeout usage in the one score games. I don't understand that. But I don't think he's deliberately trying not to win. If the play had worked it would be a different tune in here. Sometimes the other team just executes better.
I'm not saying he did that. I'm saying he made a choice that didn't give us the best likelihood of winning. By quite a large margin.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #33
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

One last thing and then I'll let this go. I don't believe teams actually tank. So when I say "we got handed the W" or Ron is "playing to lose", I'm making an overstatement, on purpose.
What I actually mean is that he, just like the Dolphins last year, didn't care about winning enough to make the logical choice, and risk some injuries in OT.

Going "hey let's decide it on a less than 40% play (probably less 20% in that situation), rather than doing everything we can to put this team in the best possible position to get the W" is the closest possible real life version of what we, and I, as angry fans, get to call "trying to lose".
Old 10-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #34
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I'm not saying he did that. I'm saying he made a choice that didn't give us the best likelihood of winning. By quite a large margin.
If I quote you, that means I am speaking to you. If I do not quote you, that means I am just speaking in general. Someone on here said he told Kyle Allen not to score. I'm not going to go back through the posts to see who it was.

My point is simply that I believe he thought they could get the two yards and win the game. It's one of those decisions that is great if it works, and not so great if it doesn't.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #35
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
If I quote you, that means I am speaking to you. If I do not quote you, that means I am just speaking in general. Someone on here said he told Kyle Allen not to score. I'm not going to go back through the posts to see who it was.

My point is simply that I believe he thought they could get the two yards and win the game. It's one of those decisions that is great if it works, and not so great if it doesn't.
Fair enough, he thought they could. And they could, not gonna say there was a 0% chance of getting this.

But do you think any team whose season truly matters and is legitimately making a push for their division makes the same choice in the same situation ?

(And I was yelling at my TV the second I saw him signal for 2, this is not an in hindsight opinion. )
Old 10-19-2020, 12:08 AM   #36
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Fair enough, he thought they could. And they could, not gonna say there was a 0% chance of getting this.

But do you think any team whose season truly matters and is legitimately making a push for their division makes the same choice in the same situation ?

(And I was yelling at my TV the second I saw him signal for 2,
this is not an in hindsight opinion. )
Haha, and after they scored the TD, I told my son they should just just go for two.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:13 AM   #37
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Haha, and after they scored the TD, I told my son they should just just go for two.
Haha love it. Well let's not act like this all matters anyway

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2020, 01:11 AM   #38
rocnrik
Playmaker

I called the two point try way before they scored the TD ..If we make it Ron is living up to his riverboat persona... if not he is a bum .. also there is no guarantee we make the extra point kick ... lots of ways to view this .now we got some guy on post game show saying we should draft OL with top pick and bring in a vet QB ... cam newton even mentioned Alex Smith.. insane
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:52 AM   #39
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I know stats don't tell you what actually happened, but I couldn't help noting that aside from being out gained on the ground, we won TOP and overall yardage by a margin. What killed us was 2 bad turnovers from Allen; which seems to be becoming his forte. The 2pt attempt showed that he can't improvise, and to a lesser extent, neither can his compatriots (e.g. Gibson virtually motionless).

Putting this all on RR is fine as it's the HCs job to own the results, but a better QB would have won that game. Allen may well be the best we have right now but he's not the answer and I think RR knows that. He's not tanking (I don't really think you can in the NFL, it goes against the players psyche), but he's also not worried about the record too much. He's evaluating everyone and learning who he wants to keep next year. 30-50% of this roster will be different come next season, then we'll find out if RR really can put a winning team on the field. This season is just a 16 game preseason for 2021.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:19 AM   #40
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Ok, so if I'm trying to see this as Ron legitimately trying to win... I have a really hard time not seeing it as one of the stupidest calls I have ever witnessed.

Let me put is this way.

In this situation, with this offense and this QB, what do you see as most likely:

A) Kicking the extra point, winning the OT toss, getting a FG and then a stop / losing the toss, getting a stop and a FG (or even scoring a TD drive, like they just had).

B) Getting the 2 points conversion.

?

With this offense and this QB in this game, I don't see how you pick B over A.

2 points conv is a 43% play in the league. So I don't see how it's better than a 20% play with our offense.

Exactly.....this was a masterful tank. Gives the appearance of a desperate attempt to win, but in reality was the quickest way to lose.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #41
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

We have the #2 pick as of this morning
Old 10-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #42
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

There are a lot of one win teams out there but it is hard to believe we beat any of them. Get a top 5 pick for sure but based on our track record with top 5 picks not sure I want it.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #43
MTK
\m/

Perfect loss yesterday, they were competitive but found a way to lose. Stay the course for a top 3 pick. There should be no rooting for wins the rest of the way.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #44
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I’ll wait to judge after the A22 but where the hell has chase young been?
The generational pass rusher? lol. Pretty sad that those guys had one sack against the Giants.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #45
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Chase may end up being a Mack type player and let’s all hope he does because the hype for him was unbelievable