Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Official 2013 NCAA College Football Thread

Other Sports

Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #46
donofriose
The Starter

Re: Official 2013 NCAA College Football Thread

One day after giving up 550 rushing yards in a blowout loss to BYU, Mack Brown fired his DC.

He keeps firing coordinators but I think hes gone by the end of the year.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #47
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Hurricanes will beat the Gators this week.

Duke Johnson will win the Heisman.
New prediction.

If Miami beats Florida State on Nov 2, they will play Clemson for the ACC Championship. Winner plays for the National Championship.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #48
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

My sooners look bad on offense, QB play has to get better
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #49
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Texas is due for a win against Ou but I don't see it this year guess we'll see
If UT's defense continues to play like they did against BYU, Mack Brown's days might be numbered. Hopefully, the new defensive coordinator will help.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #50
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Y! SPORTS

Got to respect Jim Mora for putting this "tv technician" in his place. I have no idea why any moron would answer his phone at a press conference. If it's that important, they should step outside.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #51
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
If UT's defense continues to play like they did against BYU, Mack Brown's days might be numbered. Hopefully, the new defensive coordinator will help.
Rumor around college football is that Texas may go after Nick Saban.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #52
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I could see Saban taking that job. He knows he's a college coach, not an NFL coach. I think he'd take it for the challenge of creating a new college powerhouse. Texas is already a recruiting paradise and he'd make them even better. He has won in the SEC, which is the best conference in the college ranks, so trying to win in another conference and beat those SEC teams would be a logical next challenge for him.

I see him more of a guy to take on challenges to keep himself motivated than someone who would stick around 40 years and build a legacy in one spot like Paterno or Bowden,
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #53
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Any Va Tech fans in here. Good game so far with my ECU Pirates.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #54
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Both those teams suck. Well actually VTs defense is really good but it's offense makes all defenses look really good.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #55
donofriose
The Starter

The ending to the Wisconsin ASU game was one of the worst jobs I have ever seen by officials. I usually do not blame refs for teams winning/losing but that was a situation where a ref obviously cost a team a possible win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQmNYPOgx40
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #56
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
The ending to the Wisconsin ASU game was one of the worst jobs I have ever seen by officials. I usually do not blame refs for teams winning/losing but that was a situation where a ref obviously cost a team a possible win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQmNYPOgx40
Ok. My first immediate reaction is the QB put down the ball by laying it on the ground. Should have been a fumble.

The problem with the refs is that one blew his whistle the other didn't and was ruling the right thing which is that it was a fumble. I guess you blow the whistle, stop the clock, (even though it was a fumble) and then let Wisconsin run a play saying to AZ that the ref screwed up blowing his whistle when it was really a fumble.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #57
donofriose
The Starter

It wasn't a fumble. They did not show the other angle on that clip.

Even if it was a fumble, you say it was a fumble then blow the play dead. You don't just look around and not make a decision.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
It wasn't a fumble. They did not show the other angle on that clip.

Even if it was a fumble, you say it was a fumble then blow the play dead. You don't just look around and not make a decision.
Watching it live, I never saw him take the knee. Obviously in that one shot you can see him taking it, but you shouldn't need/ have to look at replay for a player taking a knee. Why the kid with 19 seconds left decided to take the worlds fastest kneel down, I don't know. He confused the ref. one isn't sure if he took the knee, the other thinks he fumbled like I did, the other saw him take the knee. If the QB takes a normal kneel down like any other QB there isn't any confusion.

And if the refs blow the whistle to talk it over, you give Wisconsin a chance to kick a field goal and piss off ASU, then it's ASU blaming the refs for losing.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #59
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Watching it live, I never saw him take the knee. Obviously in that one shot you can see him taking it, but you shouldn't need/ have to look at replay for a player taking a knee. Why the kid with 19 seconds left decided to take the worlds fastest kneel down, I don't know. He confused the ref. one isn't sure if he took the knee, the other thinks he fumbled like I did, the other saw him take the knee. If the QB takes a normal kneel down like any other QB there isn't any confusion.

And if the refs blow the whistle to talk it over, you give Wisconsin a chance to kick a field goal and piss off ASU, then it's ASU blaming the refs for losing.
It doesn't matter if it wasn't a normal knee down. He took a knee. Plus in college football you actually don't have to take a knee. The rule actually is "When a ball carrier simulates placing his knee on the ground."

The problem I have is the refs did nothing. They did not decide on the call and just looked around and told Wisconsin to wait before they were allowed to snap the ball.
I would have no problem if the Refs said he fumbled and it was ASU ball. They obviously would have reviewed it and then given the ball back to Wisconsin.
Again, the problem was the refs did nothing and did not allow Wisconsin to snap the ball. They let the ASU player kill the ball and lay on the ball for almost 10 seconds (which is a delay of game penalty), and just stood there.

Just make call.

The refs prevented a chance for Wisconsin to win the game. That is why the Pac-12 reprimanded the refs immediately and said:

"After a thorough review, we have determined that the officials fell short of the high standard in which Pac-12 games should be managed. We will continue to work with all our officials to ensure this type of situation never occurs again."
Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #60
Monkeydad
Living Legend

From the video and probably on the field, that did not look like he put his knee down. "Simulating a kneel down" counts? That's vague and opens up problems if it's the rule.

Donof is right...the real issue was was refs not making a call either way. It HAD to be either a fumble or delay of game on the D, although the only reason they laid on it so long was because the refs didn't make a call either way.

I initially just saw the QB lay the ball down without taking a knee, which I'd call a fumble.