Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The Getting Old Sucks Thread

Parking Lot

Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
metalskins
The Starter

The Getting Old Sucks Thread

Since the Boobs thread hasn't been getting any traction lately, I figured I'd change it up a bit.

Back about 10 years ago, I was in my early/mid 30's, still felt really young, in the best shape of my life, single, and felt I was still young enough to attract women in their early 20's (which I did), or I could easily attract good looking women in their early 40's (which I also did.)

Fast forward to now, I'm married (which I am thankful for), mid 40's, I have a kid, but my wife and I are badly out of shape (I'm about 50 pounds overweight), we're grumpy all the time, we don't keep up with the most "happening" entertainment, because we don't get very many opportunities to go out nor watch what we want to on TV (since the TV is dominated by the 4 year old.) It just hit me that I've reached that age where I have became my father! I don't know the in fashions right now, I'm getting gray, I can't stand top 40 music anymore, I can't stay up late, alcohol seems to really wreck my body......dudes, I just feel so durn old!

Don't want to feel this way. I know I should get back into the gym. Should listen to the radio more, and they do have Just For Men, lol! I used to get excited to go into restaurants where the waitresses were hot and wearing short shorts, but now, they all look like kids to me. I hate growing up!

Advertisements
Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
mredskins
MVP

Re: The Getting Old Sucks Thread

Dude I hear you! I am 45 now. I go about a week pain free then something gives out and I have two weeks of some nagging injury. Usually my back.
I need to start working out and watching my diet better. Getting old sucks!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #3
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
Since the Boobs thread hasn't been getting any traction lately, I figured I'd change it up a bit.

Back about 10 years ago, I was in my early/mid 30's, still felt really young, in the best shape of my life, single, and felt I was still young enough to attract women in their early 20's (which I did), or I could easily attract good looking women in their early 40's (which I also did.)

Fast forward to now, I'm married (which I am thankful for), mid 40's, I have a kid, but my wife and I are badly out of shape (I'm about 50 pounds overweight), we're grumpy all the time, we don't keep up with the most "happening" entertainment, because we don't get very many opportunities to go out nor watch what we want to on TV (since the TV is dominated by the 4 year old.) It just hit me that I've reached that age where I have became my father! I don't know the in fashions right now, I'm getting gray, I can't stand top 40 music anymore, I can't stay up late, alcohol seems to really wreck my body......dudes, I just feel so durn old!

Don't want to feel this way. I know I should get back into the gym. Should listen to the radio more, and they do have Just For Men, lol! I used to get excited to go into restaurants where the waitresses were hot and wearing short shorts, but now, they all look like kids to me. I hate growing up!
I was tired of being the only one keeping it up.

Yup youth is wasted on the young and the old pay for it!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
metalskins
The Starter

Really trying not to become that "get off my lawn" guy, but man, I feel so disconnected from life. While I am not complaining of the life I have (I live a good life, and I have a great family), there's a sense of adventure that I think I'm missing right now. I think I have definitely hit my mid-life crisis.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Just turned 63 and retired,love it! I will admit to letting myself go and now I have to bust my ass to get back in shape but my advice is start to do something now ....don't wait. I walk 4/5 miles a day and I have lost some weight(shit load to go)I feel 100 times better!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

I'm 39 and can relate to some of this. I dropped 25 pounds last year to get my BMI back into 'healthy' weight range, partly because the doctor said I should, and partly because I just wanted to. It helps with the way you feel about everything, you'll sleep better, you'll be less grumpy, it helps with stress, and it might make you feel less 'old' just because you get a little more positive self esteem from it.

Recommend starting there and let the rest take care of itself. And don't try to lose it all at once. Set a doable goal: 5 pounds by June 30. Once you get there, set another goal.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Heck just working towards a goal and accomplishing it makes you feel better, even if it's just 5 pounds.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Heck just working towards a goal and accomplishing it makes you feel better, even if it's just 5 pounds.
This.

I actually went into a depression last year around this time. Not sure where it came from, but I was drinking way too much, eating total shit. Fast forward to about 2-3 months ago, dropped about 40-50 lbs. since then and fitness/exercise truly has made me a different human being. I actually feel like shit the days I DON'T do a work out.

The second we hit our 30s, I feel like we've been to the doctor more times in the course of a few years than we had in our lives combined. Getting old is poop.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
los panda
Pro Bowl

Mid 30's here and I can't complain too much. Hair is getting thinner up top and I'm getting more gray hairs in my beard by the week but besides that all is well.

I've been taking a lot of courses online but I recently had to take one on campus. At the end of the semester, a bunch of the kids let me know that they thought I was the teacher on the first day of class.

Oh yeah, and go get your colonoscopies! I had my first one in my 20's due to family history, my second one a couple years later found "pre-cancerous" polyps that almost certainly would have been cancer had I waited until 40 to get a colonoscopy. I'm getting my third later this year.

I like to tell people that I started doing my own colonoscopies at home just to see their reaction.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

58 going on 85. I have the thrashed body of somebody that played middle linebacker in the NFL for 15 years. I think I counted 12 broken bones over my lifetime. I was wound a little too tight till spinal fusion surgery ground me to a halt at 38 and I quickly gained 40 pounds. A good example I dabbled in some amateur boxing. I had a friend whose dad trained pros that told me I worked out too much. I used to hit the weight room after football practice in college. This was back in the day when there was a lot more contact than there is now. Most guys back then where I was from didn't even touch weights during the season.

I just lifted too much too often and always went heavy. 25 years of that took it's toll. Then throw in 3 motorcycle crashes and those are on street bikes, who knows how many times I ate it on a dirt bike. Unfortunately doctors won't prescribe pain meds for chronic long term pain anymore. My hair would even hurt if I had any.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

First major health scare this year after getting pneumonia...another first. Last week in Feb got sick, thought it was a cold, went to the doctor, Patient First after I got a fever probably 4-5 days in.

They took xrays where they saw congestions consistent with Pneumonia and additional area which looked like a "spot" in my chest. Follow up 3 weeks later, Xray still showed spot...I couldn't see it no matter how hard I tried but Radiologist ordered CAT scan a couple days later. I got nervous...especially we radiologist threw around words like Biopsy. Did CAT and got a call next day saying everything was fine from Radiologist.

kinda shook me for a second.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
First major health scare this year after getting pneumonia...another first. Last week in Feb got sick, thought it was a cold, went to the doctor, Patient First after I got a fever probably 4-5 days in.

They took xrays where they saw congestions consistent with Pneumonia and additional area which looked like a "spot" in my chest. Follow up 3 weeks later, Xray still showed spot...I couldn't see it no matter how hard I tried but Radiologist ordered CAT scan a couple days later. I got nervous...especially we radiologist threw around words like Biopsy. Did CAT and got a call next day saying everything was fine from Radiologist.

kinda shook me for a second.
How pissed would you be if he was like haha sike that's my thumbprint.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

But seriously, glad it wasn't anything serious.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Thanks...yeah man, getting old sux.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #15
MTK
\m/

Getting old does suck in a lot of ways, but at the same time I'd have no interest in being 21 again. Anyone else agree?

What sucks these days most for me is waking up with random aches and pains. I'm like shit what did I do yesterday, oh yeah went for a walk. A fucking half hour walk is enough to make me limp out of bed in the morning.

Hangovers really blow too. 2 beers and a couple of bourbons? Used to be no big deal. Now it's guaranteed to make me wake up with a pounding headache. And if I really go out on a bender forget about it, I'm under the weather for at least 2 full days. On the positive side I guess it's really made me cut back on drinking the last few years.