Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #31
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
You might want to give Pittsburgh a little credit. Tenn played them pretty even in their house. Might have won the game if not for two missed FG's.
Tennessee played well enough to win the game, but it's a game that the Steelers defense was playing shorthanded. It's a game that last year's Tennessee team would have won by a larger margin than they won last year.

In the AFC, I'm not sure that's going to get you past .500. If they run for 250 yards on the Texans next week, well, yeah they're probably fine. That's a real source of offense.

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #32
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Question: Why are Titans a "Super Bowl Contender" while we are laughing stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
One more thing. The Titans draft players like Haynesworth while we pay through the nose for them. They got equal or better production from Haynesworth than we will get from him for a fraction of the price.
And we draft players like Chris Cooley, Samuels, Sean Taylor, and Brian Orakpo, so what's your point?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #33
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
And we draft players like Chris Cooley, Samuels, Sean Taylor, and Brian Orakpo, so what's your point?
Ha-ha Good point Ruhskins!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #34
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Man, Sean would make this defense ridiculous this year..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #35
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Organizationally, the Titans are much, much stronger than us.

Under Floyd Reese though, they weren't much better than we are now under Cerrato. Mike Reinfelt took over and he's been able to stay on the same page as Jeff Fisher and the results have been impressive.

With that said, our roster is stronger than their roster this year.
I agree with you and Ruhskins,I know of nobody laughing at the Skins,your front office has a problem.............suing old ladies but as for the team and the coachs ...hell most people I know are picking you guys on Sunday.

Last edited by Giantone; 09-11-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #36
MTK
\m/

Laughing stock is a little over dramatic
Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #37
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
The point is that Tennessee isn't known for splurging for free agents the way we are. It's not to say that we ignore the draft, just that we rely on the free agent market more than the Titans do, and it costs more towards the salary cap.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #38
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
The point is that Tennessee isn't known for splurging for free agents the way we are. It's not to say that we ignore the draft, just that we rely on the free agent market more than the Titans do, and it costs more towards the salary cap.
Agree. The team, coaches, and players are not the laughing stock but the way the FO is run would be looked at as the laughing stock, even though that is a little too harsh. The culture of the FO needs to be changed, this isnt fantasy football. Overpaying Free Agents (we all know the list) and giving away draft picks(last year J. Taylor) is not how to building championship football. I think in the last several years we have drafted better but even though I would disagree with several decisions. Fat Albert is gonna be solid, but I winced when I heard the numbers. I think giving a guy 4 years out of football, 100+ lbs out of shape a contract and then stating it "changed our draft strategy" is simply retarded. If the FO thought a little ahead of things we wouldnt have to do things like this. I think if they looked at Pittsburg, New England, and even the Giants, the FO could pick up some ideas about how to put together a team. Instead the mentality is whenever a free agent hits the market we get the first call because agents know we will over spend, thats the laughable part.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #39
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Historically that is true but that has changed significantly under Zorn. And the Titans have several times overpaid for free agents, just not to the tune of $100 mil. It's a difference of degree, not of kind.

It may be that in a few years Tennessee will pay big $$ for someone like Devin Thomas and the tables will be turned.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #40
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The Titans are my second favorite team, but its remarkable how much greener the grass is on the other side for so many people here.

The Titans do a lot well, but let's not forget...

- Their high profile, high first round pick has basically been a bust and is their backup QB right now to a 38 year old.

- They've made free agent moves that blown up in their face. David Givens comes to mind

- They managed the salary cap so poorly a few years back they not only had to release Derrick Mason, Eddie George, and Samari Rolle, they could barely even afford a full roster
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #41
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
And when their contracts come up, WE re-sign them. Tennessee and teams like them let those players walk and seem to have a younger, cheaper version ready to take their place. Capisce?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
And when their contracts come up, WE re-sign them. Tennessee and teams like them let those players walk and seem to have a younger, cheaper version ready to take their place. Capisce?
That's not necessarily the case with the Titans...and, of course, should we let any players walk then that means we show no loyalty. But when other teams do, it's smart business.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #43
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
And I'll bet money the Titants don't make Chris Johnson the highest paid player on offense when his contract comes up. RBs don't win championships. My GUESS (facts be damned) is that the better run teams don't put as much money in as few players as we seem to do, which affords them the luxury of depth. If so much money is tied up in Haynesworth on D and Portis on O, I would think that hurts our ability to have quality depth at as many positions, so when our ALL-WORLD draft picks want to get paid, we have no choice but to pay them. Steelers, Pats, Titans, etc. seem able to let those players walk without skipping a beat. Again, just wild speculation on part. Don't care enough to back up my argument with petty facts
Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #44
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
That's not necessarily the case with the Titans...and, of course, should we let any players walk then that means we show no loyalty. But when other teams do, it's smart business.
Well then I'm wrong and it's all coaching. Who knows? They just do more with less I guess. Hey, I rhymed!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #45
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Loyalty? Eh. I think fans would get over it if we let good players go and had an equal or better player ready to take their place for a lot less. Fans know it's a business. Letting good players go and continuing to lose is not as forgivable.