Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Campbell's numbers dont lie

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #1246
warriorzpath

Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

I can't be mad at Campbell this week, he played pretty well against the cowboys.

Only if he can keep playing like this...
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #1247
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
maybe im reading this wrong but i didnt know we scored a TD this week. i have a feeling im missing something.

and 16th in the league sounds about right, w/out all the injuries on offense i could see him just outside the top 10 for qbs.

go skins!

Didn't put a number beside TD, but also forgot the '0'. I type over my template every week and just update the stats instead of re-typing the entire thing every week.

Simple typo, thanks for spotting it.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #1248
Monkeydad
Living Legend

UPDATED stats/assessment...Campbell made like a Detroit Lions broadcast and blacked out.

Cutler:
WK 12 - 18/23 (71.6%), 147 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, 71.6 rating, 16 rush yds
TOTAL: 253/404 (62.6%), 2,671 yds, 16 TD, 20 INT,74.4 rating, 138 rush yds

Sanchez:
WK 12 -13/17 (76.5%), 154 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 79.0 rating, 27 rush yds
TOTAL: 151/282 (53.5%), 1,945 yds, 10 TD, 17 INT, 62.1 rating, 89 rush yds

Campbell:
WK 12 - 22/37 (59.5%), 231 yds, 2 TD, 2 INT, 73.7 rating, 2 rush yds
TOTAL: 214/328 (65.2%), 2,357 yds, 12 TD, 11 INT, 84.6 rating, 160 rush yds

Ranks:
Comp. % = Campbell (65.2%), Cutler (62.6%), Sanchez (53.5%)
Yds = Cutler (2,671) Campbell (2,357) Sanchez (1,945)
TDs = Cutler (16), Campbell (12), Sanchez (10)
INTs (fewest) = Campbell (11), Sanchez (17), Cutler (20)
QB rating = Campbell (84.6), Cutler (74.4), Sanchez (62.1)
Rush yds = Campbell (160), Cutler (138), Sanchez(89)

Week 12 Campbell overview:
A very up-and-down game for Campbell. He accounted for 3 TDs. One on the ground and two through the air to Fred Davis and Santana Moss. He easily outpassed the other two QBs in the total column, but Cutler and Sanchez both had rare efficient days in terms of completion percentage and QB rating, although they both had more INTs than TDs and very low yardage totals. JC had the opposite kind of game, more TDs than TOs and more yards despite his accuracy being somewhat off this game. Typically, he's the most accurate passer of the three and doesn't throw INTs in bunches. This is only the second game with more than one INT for Campbell. He had only two multiple-INT games last season. One area of great improvement for Jason has been his ability to hold onto the ball as the season has progressed, despite his line breaking down even further every week. Jason has not fumbled the ball since Week 7 now. Last season, he only lost one fumble. Three early in this season but that seems to have been corrected. One of the major knocks against Jason early in his career was his proneness to fumbles, with 8 lost in the 2007 season. With the lack of protection he's still receiving, it's a miracle he has only three fumbles this season (at least one was Rabach's fault) and somehow has managed to not put the ball on the ground in the last 4 games.

Campbell was most impressive on the TD drive where he had back-to-back completions of 29 yards to Davis and 35 yards to Thomas before throwing a TD pass to Fred to finish off a quick 80-yard drive that had three conversions on 3rd-and-long.

In 4 of the last 5 games (Dallas game aside), the offense has been scoring and producing under Campbell. His last 5 game totals are 284, 196, 193, 256 and 231 yards each.

Without the two INTs thrown to Asante Samuel yesterday, there would be very little to criticize with yesterday's game.

Let's hope Jason's health is OK going forward after "blacking out" from that final hit taken against Philly. We will need his arm against New Orleans to have any hope of an upset. With the #1-ranked passing defense, we have a chance to make the game interesting if the offense can continue to score like they have begun to do lately. With Todd Collins behind center, any downfield game is gone and the passing game will not intimidate any defense, especially one coached by Gregg Williams.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #1249
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

You have to take those two interceptions into account though. Those were poor throws and worse decisions by Campbell
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #1250
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You have to take those two interceptions into account though. Those were poor throws and worse decisions by Campbell
I did, hence the "up-and-down day" description for the game. Fact is though, he was the only of the three QBs who contributed more TDs then turnovers, so out of these QBs, he had the best day...even if not a completely stellar day. For the season, he's far less prone to the picks than Cutler and Sanchez, who are at the tops in the NFL in INTs thrown.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #1251
MTK
\m/

YouTube - John Riggins on Jason Campbell & Eagles
Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #1252
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
yeah he says the same thing everyone else has said and we will just have to wait and see. i hope he stays here, because we won't have a better option next year unless colt tears s up inpresaeson against number 1's

for me i'll say it again, middle of the pack qb, nothing special, but by far not the worst in the nfl

as far as riggo, i love the guy, but he is losing it, now he even has to edit himself, there was atleast two cutaways there maybe three, he just seems to ramble on

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #1253
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I can't wait for the latest updates on this thread after this game.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #1254
Monkeydad
Living Legend

UPDATED stats/assessment...Campbell is on fire.

Cutler:
WK 13 - 8/17 (47.1%), 143 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 96.0 rating, -2 rush yds
TOTAL: 261/421 (62.0%), 2,814 yds, 17 TD,
20 INT, 75.3 rating, 136 rush yds

Sanchez:
WK 13 -
7/15 (46.7%), 104 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 92.1 rating, 8 rush yds
TOTAL: 158/297 (53.2%), 2,049 yds, 11 TD, 17 INT, 63.7 rating, 97 rush yds

Campbell:
WK 13 - 30/42 (71.4%), 367 yds, 3 TD, 1 INT, 111.9 rating, -1 rush yds
TOTAL: 244/370 (65.9%), 2,724 yds, 15 TD, 12 INT, 87.7 rating, 159 rush yds

Ranks:
Comp. % = Campbell (65.9%), Cutler (62.0%), Sanchez (53.2%)
Yds = Cutler (2,814) Campbell (2,724) Sanchez (2,049)
TDs = Cutler (17), Campbell (15), Sanchez (11)
INTs (fewest) = Campbell (12), Sanchez (17), Cutler (20)
QB rating = Campbell (87.7), Cutler (75.3), Sanchez (63.7)
Rush yds = Campbell (159), Cutler (136), Sanchez(97)

Week 13 Campbell overview:

Jason Campbell is officially on a hot streak. He's posting passing numbers that the Redskins have not enjoyed since Mark Brunell went on a rare productive streak in 2005's Weeks 5-7 and probably not since Mark Rypien before then. He's caught up to Cutler in yards and TDs and is on pace to easily surpass Jay before season's end in those two remaining categories that Campbell's not leading the other two QBs in. He's spreading the ball around nearly as well as Drew Brees lately. Don't believe me? Campbell hit 9 different receivers on Sunday vs. the Saints. Brees completed passes to 7. He had 9 productive receivers last week against the Eagles and 7 against Dallas two weeks ago also. Am I honestly comparing Campbell to Brees? Of course not, that would be ridiculous because Brees is one of the 3 top QBs in the league and is clearly in another class...but Jason is spreading the ball around and moving the offense effectively, not merely efficiently as we had previously just hoped for.

Campbell's last three games went for 256, 231 and 367 yard (vs Saints). Cutler, on the other hand now has posted 3 weeks in a row with under 175 yards passing while Sanchez has 3 weeks in a row 154 yards and under. Cutler and Sanchez have had absolutely anemic performances lately, with low yardage, inaccuracy and 3 TDs/8 INTs for Cutler and 3 TD/7 INTs for Sanchez in the last month. Meanwhile in the same period, Campbell has as many TD passes as both QBs combined (6, plus an additional TD rushing) and only 4 INTs in the previous 4 games. It's very obvious that Jason Campbell was the right choice of the three QBs for the Redskins this season and I'm hoping...beyond. Despite the team's turmoil, possibly losing Mike Sellers now...Jason continues to improve his game and keep the team competitive...which is all we can really ask in a lost season like we're experiencing.

Jason may be winning himself a job in the future for the Redskins and based on what we're seeing him develop into, I'm happy if he's our starter next season with hopefully a revamped coaching/management staff and bolstered offensive line. He's proving to be a true leader. We honestly should have won the New Orleans game and Jason would have been the number one reason if we had. We're all praising Devin Thomas and Fred Davis for showing up and producing big lately, yet do we remember that their successes are directly attributed to the quarterback getting the ball in their hands? Last week, I praised Jason's impressive fade route completion to Malcolm Kelly in another thread and was attacked with the line "it's a fluke, he can't hit that throw!" Well, I saw the same kind of completion to Devin Thomas yesterday and he also continued to hit deep throws to a variety of targets. Jason is the real deal. It's time to recognize that he has grown into a capable NFL starter. Many other top rookie QBs took 3+ years to really start shining as well. With all of the change in schemes, coaching and injuries to personnel around Jason, I think he's progressed on a fair time table. Far too many of us expected him to turn into a star overnight and we unfairly gave up on him too quickly. Maybe we've been spoiled by the first-year successes of Flacco and Ryan, but immediate success by a rookie QB is not the norm, it's the rare exception. Instant gratification has caused us to lose patience and forced us to give up on some people too early. Devin Thomas may also be proving that even 1st and 2nd-round draft picks can take some time to develop, but the wait can be worth it. The Redskins' QB position has been an inconsistent revolving door of mediocrity since Mark Rypien left. Even Rypien was our leader for far too short of a time period, so it could be said that Joe Theisman was our last star, consistent QB. Our franchise needs to stop giving up on QBs and let one actually develop properly, and it appears that's exactly what Jason Campbell is doing. He has the upside to be a Pro Bowl caliber, top 10 NFL QB is we give him both the tools and just the chance to succeed into that player.

I fully expect him to torch the Oakland Raiders as well next game.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #1255
MTK
\m/

JC really showed something yesterday.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1256
over the mountain
Playmaker

dangit i should have asked before you started doing this buster, but id be interested in seeing the y/pa stat. imo thats a very important stat if we are comparing stats. last year JC had a pretty good y/pa if i remember correctly and, atleast with this last game, he might actually be on pace to increase his y/pa from last year.

go skins!!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1257
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
JC really showed something yesterday.
That he did. So impressive. We were all worried about Gregg Williams' D...myself included...and Jason embarrassed them.

He's on a great run the last 3 weeks against 3 very tough opponents.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #1258
firstdown
Living Legend

I have also been impress with JC's play the past couple of weeks. I wonder if his improvement is because does not have alot of preasure on him with us out of the playoffs and is just going out and playing?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #1259
dmek25
MVP

buster, good stuff. im not sure where i stand on Campbell? while i don't think he is the problem, im not sure if he is the answer, either
Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #1260
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
dangit i should have asked before you started doing this buster, but id be interested in seeing the y/pa stat. imo thats a very important stat if we are comparing stats. last year JC had a pretty good y/pa if i remember correctly and, atleast with this last game, he might actually be on pace to increase his y/pa from last year.

go skins!!
7.36 Campbell
6.90 Sanchez
6.68 Cutler

For comparison's sake:
9.02 Brees
8.55 Roethlisberger
8.25 Rodgers
8.01 P. Manning
7.95 Matt Schaub
7.94 Brady
7.86 Rivers