Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #406
MTK
\m/

Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Lol, that's weak.

If I say something to about you that offends Smootsmack does that mean that you are unable to handle criticism?
So you're saying you think Newton is no way was bothered by this, and Moon was acting all alone in tossing out the race card?

Possible but I doubt it.

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #407
53Fan
Franchise Player

Throwing out the race card has become the most surefire way to distract attention from the original issue. It has become a tool and that is unfortunate.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #408
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Ultimately teams have to make their own opinion on players and not depend on someone who barely interviewed a player and his acquaintances.
Teams take info from all types of sources into account. Former coaches, teammates, friends, family, teachers, etc. You don't have to personally interview someone in order to get a pretty good feel for someone.

In fact I'd bet teams put more stock into what acquaintances say about a guy vs. a personal interview where it's easy for a kid to be coached up as to what to say and how to act.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #409
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Teams take info from all types of sources into account. Former coaches, teammates, friends, family, teachers, etc. You don't have to personally interview someone in order to get a pretty good feel for someone.

In fact I'd bet teams put more stock into what acquaintances say about a guy vs. a personal interview where it's easy for a kid to be coached up as to what to say and how to act.
This must be true especially in terms of a Combine interview, rather than a team visit, as such interviews last only 15 minutes.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #410
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
If you don't agree fine but don't cry outrage when someone (Warren Moon) is offended.
How would you feel if someone told you how to feel?
Moon wasn't offended. He knew this isn't a racial issue, but wanted to use this as leverage for his client. He had no basis whatsoever to claim racism.

Quote:
Fact is Moon has been discriminated against because of his race.
If he senses the same thing to is happening to Newton he has every right to express that..
Oh, so because he's been discriminated against at somepoint in his life, it gives him the right to basically call somebody a racist before he knows the facts?

Jesse Jackson played that race card back during the Duke Lacrosse rape trial, pandered to the public, and offered to pay for this poor girl's tuition only to find out later that it was all a huge lie. It's amazing what finding out the facts will do before you open your big mouth about a issue concerning racism. I'm sure Jesse has experienced discrimination, but did it give him the right to crucify those college boys all because it was a racial issue in his mind? That shit doesn't fly with me, and pretty much why I'll never take Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton serious at all. (and now Moon)

Quote:
Lets not confuse the issue here Norwicki's profile was personal and unprofessional and Warren Moon felt it was racial driven.
How do you know it's personal? You are claiming to know his intentions on the write up. Do you? Have you read all his reports on all his analysis on players? It seems like this isn't anything of the norm for him. If you listen to that podcast I posted a page or so back (Todd McShay), he even said he's heard similar things AND that he believed that he pretty much put the words on paper that were quoted to him. McShay said his only surprise about the review was that he used the actual words from those people, and that most of them try to be polite about it or paraphrase it another way.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #411
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Moon wasn't offended(a). He knew this isn't a racial issue (b), but wanted to use this as leverage for his client (c). He had no basis whatsoever to claim racism.
I don't pretend to know how Moon felt like you do in this quote.

I know Moon was offended because he said he was offended.

To claim that Moon wasn't offended(a) and that he knew this wasn't a race issue(b) is......absurd and it lets me know I would be wasting my time responding to your post any further.

HTTR
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #412
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I don't pretend to know how Moon felt like you do in this quote.

I know Moon was offended because he said he was offended.

To claim that Moon wasn't offended(a) and that he knew this wasn't a race issue(b) is......absurd and it lets me know I would be wasting my time responding to your post any further.

HTTR
You know Moon was offended because he said he was offended? Well that settles it I guess. I guess people don't lie or bullshit the public. Nope. All of those politicians up in DC are telling you the god honest truth before and after the elections. It's not like he's not getting paid by Cam Newton one bit...oh wait. Furthermore, did Moon actually even say he was personally offended? I must have missed that from the press clippings.

Besides, explain to me how he was offended by Cam Newton's draft analysis? I did read the profile correct and it did say Cam Newton and not Warren Moon? Right? Did that review criticize all black quarterbacks? Did he somehow make a connection that Cam wouldn't be good because of his skin color?

So if somebody writes something bad about you, I can then proclaim to be offended?...lol It's that how it works now? So, can I sue people when I see them write libel and offensive things about others, even though it doesn't pertain to me? Is Moon related to him? BFFs with him? In love with him? What would cause Warren Moon to be offended by a guy he barely knows except the fact he's been hired to consult him? I believe Moon was offended about as much as OJ when he said he was out looking for the real killers of his wife.

The only way Moon doesn't know this wasn't about race if he's just a absolute dumbass. Now, Moon doesn't strike me as some dummy so I'll wager good money he in fact knows this isn't about race or he likes to make claims about shit he doesn't know the facts on, which makes him a dumbass. It's either one or the other.

edit:

Last edited by NC_Skins; 04-05-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #413
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Warren Moon is a Hall of Famer. I do not remember him calling the guy a racist or accusing racism. What he said is that he interpreted the comments as having racial undertones. Personally, I would not have made that assumption. However, I did not endure what Moon endured early in his career so I have to beleive that he sees the world through a slightly different prism. Either way, Nawrocki's "assesment" of Cam Newton does seem to be a little like a personal attack (ex: fake smile) regardless of his motivation (which is proably just his schtick to sell his opinions).

BTW- Calling a man as accomplished as Warren Moon a "dumbass" only makes you look like one. Why are you so amped? Calm down little guy.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #414
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
BTW- Calling a man as accomplished as Warren Moon a "dumbass" only makes you look like one. Why are you so amped? Calm down little guy.
Hey, George Bush is ten times more accomplished than Warren Moon will ever be, and yet he is one of the biggest dumbasses in the history of the US. Being accomplished doesn't exclude you from being a dumbass when it comes to your views or something you say.

Why am I amped? Because I'm sick and tired of hearing the "race card" being played at every turn when something doesn't go somebody's way. It gets very old, very fast. What this does is set back the people that actually experience real racism.

There is no need for that "little guy" comment. If you can't talk using logic and respect, then stay out of the conversation.

Quote:
I do not remember him calling the guy a racist or accusing racism. What he said is that he interpreted the comments as having racial undertones

Just to refresh your memory.

Warren Moon sees racial bias regarding Cam Newton | ProFootballTalk
Quote:
“A lot of the criticism he’s receiving is unfortunate and racially based
Quote:
Of course there is racism in every walk of society. We’ve made a lot of progress in this country. But racism is still there. I just thought in the sports arena we were beyond it. I think the way Cam is being treated shows we’re not. . . .
Sounds to me he's pretty much calling the guy a racist. If he's telling you the criticism is "racially based", then he's calling you a racist without actually using the word a racist.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #415
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I really don't think people are giving Nolan Nawrocki the proper respect. He's a well respected draft analyst and he's not in the business of writing things just to sell. This isn't some moron posting some lame article on Bleacher Report.

As for Moon, loved him as a QB. Absolutely loved him. (As a person, my experience with him has been limited). But he did say that some of the questions about Cam are blatant racism.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #416
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

George Bush was the President of the United States of America. He may not have been the smartest president in history, but I would have to assume it takes a certain degree of intelligence to be leader of the free world for eight years.

I have to admit that I do not know alot about Nolan Nawrocki's work. It just seems unprofessional and uncalled for to assail someone's character the way he went after Newton's. Maybe that is just his style. However, it is a style that I do not prefer from my journalists of choice.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #417
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

I will also go on record and say that I hope Newton has the work ethic to set the league on fire. I think that QB's with the skill set of he, Vick and Tebow and the style they play add great spice to the league.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #418
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
George Bush was the President of the United States of America. He may not have been the smartest president in history, but I would have to assume it takes a certain degree of intelligence to be leader of the free world for eight years.

I have to admit that I do not know alot about Nolan Nawrocki's work. It just seems unprofessional and uncalled for to assail someone's character the way he went after Newton's. Maybe that is just his style. However, it is a style that I do not prefer from my journalists of choice.
Actually Bush is proof that all it takes is good advisers and truckloads of money...and Monica Lewinsky.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #419
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I really don't think people are giving Nolan Nawrocki the proper respect. He's a well respected draft analyst and he's not in the business of writing things just to sell. This isn't some moron posting some lame article on Bleacher Report.

As for Moon, loved him as a QB. Absolutely loved him. (As a person, my experience with him has been limited). But he did say that some of the questions about Cam are blatant racism.
[quote] 09:47 AM ET 04.03 | Warren Moon isn't the only person who thinks race may be a factor in the way the NFL world is perceiving Cam Newton. A high ranking NFL executive, who is white, came to the same conclusion before Moon made his comments. "If Newton were white, he'd be the first pick in the draft," he said. [unquote]

SS...any idea who that high ranking NFL executive might be?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #420
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

[quote=Longtimefan;792374]
Quote:
09:47 AM ET 04.03 | Warren Moon isn't the only person who thinks race may be a factor in the way the NFL world is perceiving Cam Newton. A high ranking NFL executive, who is white, came to the same conclusion before Moon made his comments. "If Newton were white, he'd be the first pick in the draft," he said. [unquote]

SS...any idea who that high ranking NFL executive might be?
no idea