Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The 'Skins D has to pull thru

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

The 'Skins D has to pull thru

Jarell (DC): MORT, HOOK A BROTHER UP WITH SOME INFO MAN. WILL THE 'SKINS DEFENSE CARRY THEM TO THE PLAYOFFS, BECAUSE THE COIUNTER TRE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AS EFFECTIVE AS IT WAS A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK

Chris Mortensen: (2:32 PM ET ) I do think the 'Skins defense will have to get the Redskins through the first half of the season while Gibbs makes this transition. But please don't judge the success of the counter trey based on preseason. Sean Taylor looks great, doesn't he? The D-line would concern me, though.

Thoughts, comments?
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-18-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

I'm surprised Mort answered this guy with the all caps and poor spelling, but anyway.

Mort does have a point, the offense is going to need time to come together and get on the same page. The defense is going to need to keep us in games. Questions about the d-line will linger until they are answered with production from the front four.

Mort is definitely right about not judging the counter at this point. Besides, it's not like the counter is some ancient play that hasn't been run since Gibbs left the league. It wasn't a passing phase like the run and shoot. It's still a staple in some form in many playbooks around the league.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

I agree with Mort, but I would have answered it a little more strongly:

"Where do you get the idea the counter trey is not working?? It has not had time to be fully implemented, guys are still learning it, Gibbs has not shown 90% of it, and the personnel has been changing throughout the two very early preseason games. Give it a chance."

Two or three weeks into the regular season you will be able to BEGIN judging it.
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
Defensewins
Playmaker

Joe Gibb's offense has always looks sluggish in preseasons past, because they do not like to show too much. They run only a few plays. The real bread and butter plays, especially in the passing game have yet to be run.
The defense looks much improved. Although it is time to give Sean Taylor some valuable experience against 1st team NFL offenses. He needs to learn and make his mistakes now, when the games do not mean anything. I do not agree with waiting anymore. He has more than shown he deserves to start.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
Big C
Mr. Brightside

is ladell betts gonna play the next game? cuz rock doesnt seem to be runnin too well.
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

The counter trey is a play that HAS to be executed almost to perfection. The o-line needs to get their timing down, and Portis has to be a little more patient for the play to develop before he hits the hole (which will be a huge hole).

Guys, all spurrier ran was delays, draws, and simple running plays. Give the o-line some time to mesh and you'll see.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 PM   #7
sonny-j-no9
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogskin
I agree with Mort, but I would have answered it a little more strongly:

"Where do you get the idea the counter trey is not working?? It has not had time to be fully implemented, guys are still learning it, Gibbs has not shown 90% of it, and the personnel has been changing throughout the two very early preseason games. Give it a chance."

Two or three weeks into the regular season you will be able to BEGIN judging it.
Anyone know what JG's career pre-season record is? I'd be curious to know...
Old 08-18-2004, 04:56 PM   #8
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Portis is fast as hell, but not as patient as he is fast. He doesnt want a play to develop as much as he wants to make the play happen. If you watch denvers blocking schemes they open up holes for him, or they dont and he runs around the end. You think dockery can get to the right side of the line and block a linebacker before portis gets there? Counter Trey is great for backs taht pound it. I see portis taking a while to get used to that style of running, and intially him being more of a threat on a draw play.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Overall, he had a decent W-L record in preseason. but in his 4 SB seasons, his preseason records were:

0-4, 2-2, 3-1, 1-3.

No conclusions about the significance of his preseason can be drawn from that (except maybe that he never was undefeated prior to the SB seasons LOL)
Old 08-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
Portis is fast as hell, but not as patient as he is fast. He doesnt want a play to develop as much as he wants to make the play happen. If you watch denvers blocking schemes they open up holes for him, or they dont and he runs around the end. You think dockery can get to the right side of the line and block a linebacker before portis gets there? Counter Trey is great for backs taht pound it. I see portis taking a while to get used to that style of running, and intially him being more of a threat on a draw play.
I agree. And going back a "couple" years. Charlie Taylor had that problem in spades as a RB. He did not improve in his patience, so they converted to WR. What a great move. I think Portis will handle the adjustment fine.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:04 PM   #11
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree. Seriously though, when our offense catches up and is all on the same page, its gonna be border line illegal. Think of the talent we have on that side of the ball. If our defense can get us through their little bumpy, sloppy period, we should be looking good.

WAR WEEK 1 WHOOPIN OF TB
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 AM   #12
huntz
Special Teams

Mort really didn't say anything we don't already know. And look at the first six games. TB, NYG, Dallas, Browns,Ravens,Bears. Anybody see a great offense that's going to give this defense fits? Bucs could be the best test right off the bat.
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote