Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
BuckSkin
Special Teams

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Uhhh, wasn't there a team recently seized by their league, because of mis- management? The Dodgers ranked ahead of the Skins?

Advertisements
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Son, we live in a world that has sports, and those sports have to be covered by the media. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Dirtbag? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Jack Kent Cooke and you curse the Cowboys. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know

You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want us at ESPN! You need us at ESPN!

and so on...
First of all LOVE the A Few Good Men reference. I am tempted to stop slacking off of work to be on a message board to slack off of work and fire up Crackle to watch a few scenes.

That being said, I see your ESPN and raise you NFL Network. Not to spit at the Golden Goose that keeps the lights on in Smack-ville but they take the 'E' in ESPN to the extreme to where I don't consider that journalism anymore, it's more TMZ than CNN.

On topic, I think that's ridiculously low and I'm a little tired of being a national punching bag but coming off of the Cerrato years with McNabb/Haynesworth stench still floating around we need a strong 2011 and a great 2012 to move the needle on public perception.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSkin View Post
Uhhh, wasn't there a team recently seized by their league, because of mis- management? The Dodgers ranked ahead of the Skins?
Dodgers are in a cash-flow problem because the owners are in a hugely expensive divorce situation. Estimates are that they will spend $20M on lawyers in that divorce...

Mets are also in a financially precarious position.

Phoenix Coyotes actually declared bankruptcy and had to be bought out by the NHL just to avoid having a guy buy the team that the league does not want as an owner.

The Lions, Bengals, Clippers, Pirates, Royals and Cubs are all worse franchises than the Redskins.

Having said that, the Redskins have to be in the bottom 25% of that ranking of 122 franchises.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
diehard
The Starter

A good franchise is a profitable one...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
First of all LOVE the A Few Good Men reference. I am tempted to stop slacking off of work to be on a message board to slack off of work and fire up Crackle to watch a few scenes.
Worth it

Quote:
That being said, I see your ESPN and raise you NFL Network. Not to spit at the Golden Goose that keeps the lights on in Smack-ville but they take the 'E' in ESPN to the extreme to where I don't consider that journalism anymore, it's more TMZ than CNN.
Your opinion, which you are entitled to. Not naive to the fact there is TMZ like journalism at times, but there's plenty of oustanding journalism here as well (for the record, I have nothing to do with the journalism here). Which I know many would not willingly admit to, lest they think they're being uncool by liking something ESPN has to offer. Do I get a bit defensive at times? Sure, but that's largely because they're watching me...kidding, it's because having worked with four major media companies this is hands down the best I've worked with. And with CNN turning to Bill Maher for political insight...I don't hold them in such high regard

Quote:
On topic, I think that's ridiculously low and I'm a little tired of being a national punching bag but coming off of the Cerrato years with McNabb/Haynesworth stench still floating around we need a strong 2011 and a great 2012 to move the needle on public perception.
I agree that it is low, but maybe not ridiculously low. And as I said before (becuause I know people think this is place is run by Redskins haters), others here would agree. But there a lot of factors involved, not least of which was the sports fans' impressions. And most sports fans think as poorly (most poorly?) of the Redskins as they have in nearly two decades.

I think we're absolutely in the right direction, but we've been in the right direction a couple of times in recent years only to come crashing down again.

I'm sure within two weeks, something will be written about something Dan Snyder said or did, and we'll all go back to talking about how awful the franchise is because of him...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Your opinion, which you are entitled to. Not naive to the fact there is TMZ like journalism at times, but there's plenty of oustanding journalism here as well (for the record, I have nothing to do with the journalism here). Which I know many would not willingly admit to, lest they think they're being uncool by liking something ESPN has to offer. Do I get a bit defensive at times? Sure, but that's largely because they're watching me...kidding, it's because having worked with four major media companies this is hands down the best I've worked with. And with CNN turning to Bill Maher for political insight...I don't hold them in such high regard
CNN used merely for the perception of journalistic standard.. Could have also used Enquirer/Wall St. Journal analogy. I swing at ESPN mostly because I remember what they were vs. what they are today, but all due respect to the WWL. From the people I know who still work there, they hold it in high regard as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
I agree that it is low, but maybe not ridiculously low. And as I said before (becuause I know people think this is place is run by Redskins haters), others here would agree. But there a lot of factors involved, not least of which was the sports fans' impressions. And most sports fans think as poorly (most poorly?) of the Redskins as they have in nearly two decades.

I think we're absolutely in the right direction, but we've been in the right direction a couple of times in recent years only to come crashing down again.

I'm sure within two weeks, something will be written about something Dan Snyder said or did, and we'll all go back to talking about how awful the franchise is because of him...
So true as well. I hate to hear us joked about in such regard but until we regain respectability it is hard to debate our standing in the public eye.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Sources have come to light suggesting a secret negotiation is in the works to place a "Johnny Rockets" in all ESPN cafeteria........allegedly
--TMZ

THAT should be good for #119?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
I'd say that if I was the owner or stock holder.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #24
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
..........???How so?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post

I'm very disappointed. I thought Smoot was quoting Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

As for TMZ vs CNN. It's still very far from that. PFT is much closer to TMZ then ESPN. I just wish they would show more hockey but they can't for obvious reasons. The SEC homerism could be toned down a tad

Still CNN isn't even CNN anymore. Riots going on in Vancouver, they show a rerun of Anderson Copper. Fox News Glenn Beck rerun. HLN JLo. Like really?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I never would have imagined one of the best money making team franchise would be the definition of worst franchise.

So it's safe to think....

$$$ = worst franchise.

I really wonder how they feel about the Bills, Bengals, Raiders, Jaguars, Panthers, a few basket ball teams like the Wizards, maybe a few hockey teams and lets not forget the Nats. Aren't they supposedly losing money every year?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
skinster
Impact Rookie

I feel like this list is the top 100. Yea we haven't been a well run franchise for some time now, spending so much money, accomplishing nothing, and being in a position with very little young talent on our team due to trading away draft picks. We also have coach/player drama. But there is no way we are the second worst run franchise. Not even in the NFL. I defer to the bills who haven't had a winning season in the 7 years I've followed football and don't look like they will anytime soon.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #28
saden1
MVP

If I use "bang for the buck, players, fan relations, affordability, stadium experience, ownership, title track, and coaching" to measure the Redskins I would be hard pressed not to place them at the bottom of the pile.

Don't fool yourselves die-hard Skins fans...they stink in pretty much all those areas.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #29
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
If I use "bang for the buck, players, fan relations, affordability, stadium experience, ownership, title track, and coaching" to measure the Redskins I would be hard pressed not to place them at the bottom of the pile.

Don't fool yourselves die-hard Skins fans...they stink in pretty much all those areas.
I agree with most of those sentaments, except for stadium experience. I think fed ex field is great and kicks the shit outta watching the game at home. The only times when the experience isnt as good is when we are getting blown out.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

There are at least a dozen or so pro franchises in much worse shape than the Skins. Having them next to last is ridiculous.