Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #46
drew54
The Starter

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

I would say it has been about 18 years of pain.

Advertisements
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #47
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

The Skins deserve a crap rating. The majority of the decisions made have been bad, money has been blown on overrated players, piss poor coaches etc....
Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Some of the fan surveys I know were taken during the 2009 season, so....hopefully that's as low as we'll be for a long, long time
Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #49
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I have been a diehard skins fan since I was 6 years old. I'm 24 now and I'm still waiting for a consistent team to come back. So yeah we are in the bottom in the NFL it's just a fact
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #50
Longtimefan
Playmaker

The Redskins did not have a comment. Surprising?

Inside the Redskins’ awful ESPN The Mag rankings - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post
Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #51
Dogtag
Special Teams

When I hear or read about such rankings I often wonder if the organization doing the ranking would fair well under the same scrutiny. How does ESPN rank against their competitors in providing value to Redskins fans in their coverage ...
Dogtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #52
NLC1054
Special Teams

Seeing the ratings broken down bugs the crud out of me even more...

118th in players acting professionally? Talk about a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch. 118th in owners and players showing appreciation towards fans? I don't think we're the highest on that list, but being towards the bottom still urks me.

119th in player accessibility? There's an entire community of Redskins players on Twitter who respond to and appreciate their fans, not to mention the Redskins players regularly do charity work either on there own or on behalf of the team.

118th in Players, ranked 120th in likeability and 117 in effort?

I'm not saying my football team hasn't sucked the past two seasons, but this whole list is bull.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #53
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Like I said, much of this survey (and just a reminder much of this is 3rd party reporting-not exclusive to ESPN) was done during the 2009 season. You can't deny there were major issues then.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #54
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

^ 2009 was a great year. Everyone was happy. No one here complained about anything.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #55
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
You confuse "financially successful franchise" with "good franchise". This poll looked at "good" and "bad" from a fan perspective and not from a CPA's perspective.

In addition, if you look at the Redskins, they NEVER fill FedEx Field and NEVER have; they do NOT have a waiting list for season tix; they have had 7 different head coaches in the 11 years that Danny Boy has owned the team.

With regard to Buffalo and your assertion of its lack of success, can you ever recall a home game in Buffalo where the Steelers' fans outnumbered the Bills' fans? Even in December when the Bills were mathematically eliminated? Happened here... on MNF no less.

Players leave the Raiders because Al Davis no longer recognizes who he needs to pay to stay there. Players do not leave the Redskins because they are already overpaid here and they know they will take pay cuts to go elsewhere.

The Redskins should NOT be the 121st team on this list; they are better than that. But pretending that this is and has been a well-run franchise from a football perspective or from a fan perspective for the last 15 years is living in a delusion.
Good post. All the people who are up in arms about this, smashing ESPN, blah blah blah are just upsetting themselves.

I mean who really cares if we're 121st or 81st? The past 15+ years has overall been just miserable for the Skins in many different facets. Downright embarrassing really. There's no denying that. So what do all you people want? You really want to get worked up because some people think we suck a little bit more than we actually do? At the end of the day we still suck. Getting upset over this list is a waste of time.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #56
Shadowbyte
Special Teams

It's amazing that the only years we've been recentely competitve was during Gibb's second tenure. That proves we need someone similar to GIBBS. I don't think Shannahan is it. Shannahan's ego has unfortunately gotten the best of him IMO.
Shadowbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #57
MTK
\m/

Let's not forget that Gibbs was 6-10 in his first year back. Gotta give Shanahan some time, he'll get this turned around.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #58
saden1
MVP

Well, let's grade the Redskins according to the criteria used over the last 20 years:

1. Bang for the Buck - F (if you can tell me why they deserve a better grade than an F I am all ears)
  2. Players - C (yeah, we don't draft very well and we're not good at signing free agents)
  3. Fan Relations - F (It isn't a love hate relationship, it's a hate relationship considering all the shady shit they have pulled on fans)
  4. Affordability - F (Snyder doesn't make money based on volume)
  5. Stadium Experience - D (go to some of the other Stadiums in the NFL and you shall know how truly shitty FedEx is)
  6. Ownership - F (utter failure across the board and from every angle).
  7. Title Track - D (8-8 spells average chances)
  8. Coaching - D (can't judge Shanahan yet based on a horrible first season but lets face it, if it wasn't for Gibbs the grade would be an F)

If you are keeping score that's 5 total points out of 32 possible points which translate to a solid F as an overall grade. Are we the second worse in all of sports? I don't think so...are we at the bottom of the list...you betcha!

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #59
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
well, let's grade the redskins according to the criteria used over the last 20 years:

1. bang for the buck - f (if you can tell me why they deserve a better grade than an f i am all ears)
  2. players - c (yeah, we don't draft very well and we're not good at signing free agents)
  3. fan relations - f (it isn't a love hate relationship, it's a hate relationship considering all the shady shit they have pulled on fans)
  4. affordability - f (snyder doesn't make money based on volume)
  5. stadium experience - d (go to some of the other stadiums in the nfl and you shall know how truly shitty fedex is)
  6. ownership - f (utter failure across the board and from every angle).
  7. title track - d (8-8 spells average chances)
  8. coaching - d (can't judge shanahan yet based on a horrible first season but lets face it, if it wasn't for gibbs the grade would be an f)

if you are keeping score that's 5 total points out of 32 possible points which translate to a solid f as an overall grade. Are we the second worse in all of sports? I don't think so...are we at the bottom of the list...you betcha!

this
Old 06-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #60
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Some of the fan surveys I know were taken during the 2009 season, so....hopefully that's as low as we'll be for a long, long time
I've got no argument about where we were ranked and I'm not the biggest fan of Shannahan...but we've made some moves in the right direction.