Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Healthcare thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Healthcare thread

As Matty said in the coronavirus thread, Healthcare continues to be a huge issue for the country, and the solutions are as varied as left is to right, or up is to down.

But I wanted to comment on the quote Matty posted, without making the Coronavirus thread subject to a political de-evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Something to think about...

@AnandWrites
Coronavirus makes clear what has been true all along. Your health is as safe as that of the worst insured, worst cared for person in your society. It will be decided by the height of the floor, not the ceiling.
I would argue this is patently false. Our worse cared for person would be a homeless drug addict on a Baltimore street. Society as a whole has a far better chance of health than that person. But it is even more false than that obvious point.

Let's take a hypothetical virus that has struck the US, and seems to be making inroads into society enough to scare the upper 5%. So much so that a billionaire funds a deep dive study to find a vaccine faster than the government is able to. Further assume that the billionaire finds the vaccine. If the vaccine is proven safe, the government would be able to claim crisis and mass produce that vaccine.

That is the extreme, but every day, the richest people are looking for medical advances that the poorest of society could never afford. There are so many examples of processes initially created for the wealthy that now make the lives of poorer individuals better. MRI's, Lasik, CatScans, Chemotherapy. It is still true that the poorest of our society doesn't have all the benefits medically of the richest, but for someone like me, living a low middle class life, my doctors have far more tools available to them because the US ceiling of healthcare is far higher than the floor.

That doesn't mean I want the homeless drug addict on Baltimore's street to not be given care, I do. It just means his condition does not set the health condition of our society. Even in transmittable diseases, the homeless person benefits from the understanding of how viruses are transmitted, and the sanitizing products that become available from greater understanding and capitalistic opportunities.

Bottomline is that innovation is created by wealth trying to make more wealth, but there has to be compassion from society for those who are struggling especially when it's due to mental health conditions or other disabilities that are not self created.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Healthcare thread

To you the worst example to make your point is a "Homeless drug person from baltimore" I understand that ,you're bias with an agenda .Now my example is and are children .They don't have to be homeless just sick enough that their parents can't save them no matter what they do.Most young children have young parents who are struggling and just one diagnosis of cancer can wipe the family out .... only an example but as you say you're fine with the rich getting it all and hopefully it will trickle on down to the lonely poor, lower middle class , middle class and upper middle class ......you know the ones that pay for everything. The ACA .....Obamacare to those that hate it, is and was a great idea that has problems but would have gotten straighten out like all big plains do at their beginnings . Trump has seen to chop up and destroy it so much that it is pretty much useless now. He is rich and can pay for any healthcare he or his family needs.
My question is what happens to a child born with a heart problem , yes he is on his parents Insurance but at the age of 21 he is off it and working trying to find Insurance but guess what, he can't, .....he has a pre existing condition his heart and can not get coverage , I would like to know what you would say to him? If he asks you why can't he be insured or get care please tell me or his parents why he doesn't deserve it?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

You’re only as strong as your weakest link, pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
To you the worst example to make your point is a "Homeless drug person from baltimore" I understand that ,you're bias with an agenda .Now my example is and are children .They don't have to be homeless just sick enough that their parents can't save them no matter what they do.Most young children have young parents who are struggling and just one diagnosis of cancer can wipe the family out .... only an example but as you say you're fine with the rich getting it all and hopefully it will trickle on down to the lonely poor, lower middle class , middle class and upper middle class ......you know the ones that pay for everything. The ACA .....Obamacare to those that hate it, is and was a great idea that has problems but would have gotten straighten out like all big plains do at their beginnings . Trump has seen to chop up and destroy it so much that it is pretty much useless now. He is rich and can pay for any healthcare he or his family needs.

My question is what happens to a child born with a heart problem , yes he is on his parents Insurance but at the age of 21 he is off it and working trying to find Insurance but guess what, he can't, .....he has a pre existing condition his heart and can not get coverage , I would like to know what you would say to him? If he asks you why can't he be insured or get care please tell me or his parents why he doesn't deserve it?
Pre-existing conditions should not be a reason for disqualifications. The ACA had lots of problems, and rather than working to resolve them the Dems forced the vote, and covered it in lies. The Republicans worked just as hard to void it without trying to resolve it.

Neither party actually tried to work for the poor Americans, they just tried to make political statements.

I don't know the solution, but I wish the moderates of both parties would rise up and put forth a best practices bill that would yield bipartisan support. The solution is out there, our politicians are too divided to find it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
You’re only as strong as your weakest link, pretty simple

It is a completely irrelevant point. The quote said society's health is equal to it weakest point, you add "you are only as strong as your weakest link". Both ignore the fact that our weakest link's strength is better than socially engineered systems because our system raises the ceiling and strives for compassion at the floor. Equalized medicine, equalized income, does not raise the ceiling and would eventually create stagnation that weakens the strongest AND weakest links.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I wanted to honor the other thread and make it stay non political so I'm putting this one here.

The man is a fucking moron!Yes it's that simple!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-118269

Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — President Donald Trump on Friday night tried to cast the global outbreak of the coronavirus as a liberal conspiracy intended to undermine his first term, lumping it alongside impeachment and the Mueller investigation.

He blamed the press for acting hysterically about the virus, which has now spread to China, Japan, South Korea, Iran, Italy and the U.S, and he downplayed its dangers, saying against expert opinion it was on par with the flu.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The flu kills over 500,000 worldwide per year, and that is with vaccines.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...iclekey=208914

The media has overblown the coronavirus because it blew up so quick. But comments comparing it to Katrina for example is politicizing it in typical media fashion.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Good site with real solid charts and numbers
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...s/#daily-cases

Old 02-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

Health care needs to be more accessible and more affordable, that’s all I was trying to get at.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The flu kills over 500,000 worldwide per year, and that is with vaccines.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...iclekey=208914

The media has overblown the coronavirus because it blew up so quick. But comments comparing it to Katrina for example is politicizing it in typical media fashion.

To say the media has over blown it is border line ignorant. Any news on how to deal with this or what is being done and not done about it .......is not the media blowing it out of proportion and to throw blame there is trump like stupidity!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...205533137.html

“You always have to hope for the best, but you absolutely have to prepare for the worst,” said Dr. Anand Parekh of the Bipartisan Policy Center on Yahoo Finance’s The First Trade.

Parekh served as U.S. Department of Health & Human Services deputy assistant secretary for health from 2008 to 2015.

“I think the critical thing here for the American people is not to panic, but to be prepared,” Parekh added.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #11
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Health care needs to be more accessible and more affordable, that’s all I was trying to get at.

...........................no doubt.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

That statement I agree with.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
To say the media has over blown it is border line ignorant. Any news on how to deal with this or what is being done and not done about it .......is not the media blowing it out of proportion and to throw blame there is trump like stupidity!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...205533137.html

“You always have to hope for the best, but you absolutely have to prepare for the worst,” said Dr. Anand Parekh of the Bipartisan Policy Center on Yahoo Finance’s The First Trade.

Parekh served as U.S. Department of Health & Human Services deputy assistant secretary for health from 2008 to 2015.

“I think the critical thing here for the American people is not to panic, but to be prepared,” Parekh added.
Walking in Baltimore i have far more risk of violent death then catching coronavirus. If you are under 40 and healthy and catch the coronavirus you have less than 2 in 1000 chance of dying.

You wouldn't think these based on the hyper coverage from all the media.

With all that said, the last sentence of your post is absolutely correct,

Quote:
“I think the critical thing here for the American people is not to panic, but to be prepared,” Parekh added
Old 03-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #14
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
The ACA was a crap policy that was built off lies. You can keep your DR. LIE Rates will drop for the average family $2800. Lie rates went up. You can keep insurance if you like your policy. LIE

If I purchased a policy conforming to the ACA this year for a family of 3 my premium would have been $1,700 per month. The real kicker is that each one of us would have a $6,000 ded. So I would have to pay $27,000 before one person would have any coverage.

We still have 30 million people uninsured and then you have the people that have insurance that is useless because their deductibles are so high.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #15
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
I wanted to honor the other thread and make it stay non political so I'm putting this one here.

The man is a fucking moron!Yes it's that simple!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-118269

Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — President Donald Trump on Friday night tried to cast the global outbreak of the coronavirus as a liberal conspiracy intended to undermine his first term, lumping it alongside impeachment and the Mueller investigation.

He blamed the press for acting hysterically about the virus, which has now spread to China, Japan, South Korea, Iran, Italy and the U.S, and he downplayed its dangers, saying against expert opinion it was on par with the flu.
He never said it was a hoax get your facts right.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote