Antonio Gibson

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #61
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Antonio Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Give true Love a chance. Wouldn't you like to see Love, McLaurin and Gibson on the field at the same time? That would be explosive to the max!
Damn right!! It would be stupid to give up on Love and see in a different uniform excelling instead of AP.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2020, 01:30 AM   #62
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Love hasn't played. Everyone wants to give him a chance. You have to play to have a chance. I'm not blaming the player, he tore his ACL, it's not a one size fits all recovery. But it's been more than the normal recovery time and combined with Rivera's most recent comments (not new just whenever the most recent one was) I'm not gonna assume he's gonna be ready.

He is a helluva football player. Not a talent thing. It's a health thing.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #63
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

I apologize if this has already been posted -- it has a date of 4-21 -- but this is a pretty good read on Gibson.

We may have found ourselves a steal in the 3rd.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/nfl...ocid=DELLDHP17

The most astute NFL talent evaluators will tell you that when it comes to players, it’s more important to focus on what people can do as opposed to what they can’t. I’ve heard it from both Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll, and also from Seahawks general manager John Schneider, Carroll’s consigliere. It’s easy to discount a receiver because he only ran three routes in college, or a running back because he runs too upright and might not be fully developed.

But those truly interested in player development will understand that sometimes, that receiver who can run a third of the route tree is beating the daylights out of every cornerback he faces, or that running back is bouncing off linebackers every play for extra yards.

With players on the fringe of what they will be, you can either cut them off because they don’t fit your suit, or you can adjust the suit for their unique talents. The guys who do the latter tend to win Super Bowls. The guys who do the former tend to get fired.

In the 2020 draft class, Memphis running back/receiver Antonio Gibson (yes, you read that positional delineation right) may be the ultimate litmus test for those executives who see prospects one way or another. Gibson got on the field for just 370 snaps in two years with the Tigers after two seasons at East Central Community College in Mississippi.

“Grades were just… at the end of the day, you could also blame me to be honest, but as a young kid, I was getting bad grades and my coaches weren’t really saying anything to me because they wanted me to play,” Gibson told me recently. “It wasn’t until my junior year I started getting offers but I couldn’t accept them, or they couldn’t officially offer them because of my grades. So, that’s when it started clicking to me that I need this [college] and that’s the reason I had to go to JUCO route.”

Once he was done with that route, he had a few choices in West Virginia, Mississippi State, and Memphis.

“I picked Memphis because a lot of schools offer you then go on about their business,” he said. “They won’t really reach out to you to tell you a signing date, but coach [Mike] Norvell and the staff were on me every other day. They were checking in making sure I was alright, seeing if classes were going good, checking on my family, I got a family feeling from them, and when I went on my visit it was the same thing, so I ended up picking Memphis.”

The rest is at the link above ....
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #64
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

OK, I'm ready to go out on a limb and expose myself to ridicule by saying that I believe we have struck gold in the 3rd Round for the second year in a row by drafting Antonio Gibson. Antonio Gibson is the TRUTH. He is a perfect fit for the offense Scott Turner wants to run.

Now, I'm asking for the support of my fellow sexy senior citizen fans when I say this: I searched my memory bank for a Redskins player who was as explosive and versatile as Gibson and the only player I could compare his skillset to is the late, great Bobby Mitchell. I don't mean to be disrespectful to my hero Bobby Mitchell. Obviously, there can be no comparison of their accomplishments. I'm only looking at the athletic gifts that Gibson possesses and he reminds me of Bobby Mitchell in that way.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:37 PM   #65
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
OK, I'm ready to go out on a limb and expose myself to ridicule by saying that I believe we have struck gold in the 3rd Round for the second year in a row by drafting Antonio Gibson. Antonio Gibson is the TRUTH. He is a perfect fit for the offense Scott Turner wants to run.

Now, I'm asking for the support of my fellow sexy senior citizen fans when I say this: I searched my memory bank for a Redskins player who was as explosive and versatile as Gibson and the only player I could compare his skillset to is the late, great Bobby Mitchell. I don't mean to be disrespectful to my hero Bobby Mitchell. Obviously, there can be no comparison of their accomplishments. I'm only looking at the athletic gifts that Gibson possesses and he reminds me of Bobby Mitchell in that way.
Well I can think of one but unfortunately never lived up to his college hype,especially as a redskin(Desmond Howard)
But I too am excited to see this kid on the field
Old 05-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #66
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Well I can think of one but unfortunately never lived up to his college hype,especially as a redskin(Desmond Howard)
But I too am excited to see this kid on the field
I feel guilty for not mentioning our other great Mitchell, Brian, in my post. Brian Mitchell was very versatile - he could even play QB - and he was a great NFL player who I admire. And Brian was certainly explosive. But the first comparison that came to mind when I saw Antonio Gibson was Bobby Mitchell because Antonio is also a deep threat as Bobby was.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #67
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
I feel guilty for not mentioning our other great Mitchell, Brian, in my post. Brian Mitchell was very versatile - he could even play QB - and he was a great NFL player who I admire. And Brian was certainly explosive. But the first comparison that came to mind when I saw Antonio Gibson was Bobby Mitchell because Antonio is also a deep threat as Bobby was.
Excellent Comparison!

I thought the same thing!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #68
TKilla7126
Camp Scrub

Watching the highlights, it seems bizarre that he only had 33 rushing attempts.

I wonder if Memphis coaches have an explanation for that.

On the bright side, his stats indicate less wear and tear on his body. I like the bodies we have in the RB room. If we go RB by committee, maybe we can keep Guice healthy and extend AD's shelf life.

A three headed monster rushing attack
TKilla7126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:06 AM   #69
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKilla7126 View Post
Watching the highlights, it seems bizarre that he only had 33 rushing attempts.

I wonder if Memphis coaches have an explanation for that.

On the bright side, his stats indicate less wear and tear on his body. I like the bodies we have in the RB room. If we go RB by committee, maybe we can keep Guice healthy and extend AD's shelf life.

A three headed monster rushing attack
As a FSU fan that now has the Memphis HC as our HC, I'm sure there is an excellent reason. Whatever Memphis was doing they put up crazy stats.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’m a big fan Gibson, but jumping from juco, then to a limited snap role in Memphis to the NFL is a steep learning curve. And now with this pause...his class room prep is gonna be key. He seems like an unbridled horse without a true position; it’s an exciting piece to have and will be interesting to see how he is used, hopefully H back is his role

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #71
MTK
\m/

Washington excited about Antonio Gibson's future at running back
Old 10-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #72
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Love Gibby so far...need more JD McK and much less Barber.

JD is our best back pick up blitzers in protection too, something Barber doesn’t do well.

Baber really shouldn’t be on the field imo.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #73
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Smith is the king of 3rd round picks. Gibson is gonna be an absolute stud. Him and McLaurin are gonna light the NFL up if we can build around them better.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #74
SunnySide
Playmaker

Gibson makes the plays that an average pass catching running back should make. He does a good job of turning it up field to maximize yards before contact. He does a good job not turning the ball over.

Its still very early in his career but I dont see him being anything above average for a starting running back in the nfl. I dont see him breaking tackles or making guys miss. He finds seams/lanes and turns it up field which is good. He routinely gets the most yards a given play would give him but he doesnt create yards on his own.

Taking what a play will give you and not turning the ball over is a big relief to this offense, especially since he is a rookie and being asked to shoulder a load but hes not a special player imo. As starting running backs go, hes ranked 15-32 probably with McKissic bringing an almost identical skill set and production.

.06 = rushing yards above expectation, putting him at about 27th.
5 yards = next gen stats credit him with creating 5 yards total so far this season above expectation.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#ryoeAtt
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#ryoe

of course, his worth isnt running the ball but catching out of the backfield

Old 11-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #75
MTK
\m/

Don't see him breaking tackles? I saw a stat recently that says he leads the league in yards after contact. I'll try to find it. Keep in mind he's still learning the position too.