Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Washington Football > Locker Room Main Forum


NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,708
NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...88076947509249

Thought this was new thread worthy, a good breakdown of the list of rules changes affecting every NFL team this offseason.

Banned: Private workouts, facility visits, dinners and film sessions with draft prospects.

Teams can only have 3 reps at any pro day.

Combine is cancelled too.

Definitely gonna make it tougher to scout potential draft picks, teams are gonna have to trust the game tape more than ever before.

Gotta wonder how it affects Ron's plan for the offseason.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Chief X_Phackter
Playmaker
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 2,797
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...88076947509249

Thought this was new thread worthy, a good breakdown of the list of rules changes affecting every NFL team this offseason.

Banned: Private workouts, facility visits, dinners and film sessions with draft prospects.

Teams can only have 3 reps at any pro day.

Combine is cancelled too.

Definitely gonna make it tougher to scout potential draft picks, teams are gonna have to trust the game tape more than ever before.

Gotta wonder how it affects Ron's plan for the offseason.
Combine results are overvalued in my opinion anyway. Watching these guys actually play football is probably the best way to evaluate them.

The interview though, I think is very important. Hopefully they can figure out a way to do those.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,708
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Combine results are overvalued in my opinion anyway. Watching these guys actually play football is probably the best way to evaluate them.

The interview though, I think is very important. Hopefully they can figure out a way to do those.
I'm not talking 40 times/reps/etc. but the combine is useful for other things too. Talking to agents/other NFL personnel, interviewing prospects/etc. are all useful.

I think not having a combine will hurt small school guys looking to improve their stock, because maybe their school won't have a pro day because not enough prospects to justify it. It will be interesting to see 3-5 years down the road if this setup will hurt prospects or not though.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
MissouriSkin
Special Teams
 
MissouriSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 173
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm not talking 40 times/reps/etc. but the combine is useful for other things too. Talking to agents/other NFL personnel, interviewing prospects/etc. are all useful.

I think not having a combine will hurt small school guys looking to improve their stock, because maybe their school won't have a pro day because not enough prospects to justify it. It will be interesting to see 3-5 years down the road if this setup will hurt prospects or not though.
Ron said no combine let us get Curl so I can live with it again. 🤣
__________________
Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
MissouriSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Sponge-worthy
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,545
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

I don't mind relying more on game film. But obviously the combine has a place. For both on field tests and off field interviews. Big change.
__________________
Cause you know, he would step across the line. Habitually. He's a habitual line stepper.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
AnonEmouse
The Starter
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,259
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Interviews shouldn't be a problem. Obviously Zoom etc. are an online alternative for those not able/willing to attend a F2F meeting, and for those that do, a suitably Covid compliant venue and process could be set up (one way systems, testing certification etc.).

The scouting aspect doe make it harder, but the same rules apply to all. But I can definitely see those hoping to improve their draft stock between now and the draft being adversely affected. Agree that game film will be more valuable than drills, combine etc., and that film is already in the can. If prospects wanted to impress teams they should have done it during the CFB season.

Be interesting how UDFA etc. is managed though. Camp will probably have to have a pre-physical meetings/activities testing and clearance process.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27,560
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Itís absolutely ridiculous they canít do some of these things. I get the combine cancel...itís overrated bullshit anyway. But I dunno, other seems lame
__________________
2020 NFC East Champions

ďThe game plan is what the game plan will beĒ
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #8
SkinzWin
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,473
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Itís absolutely ridiculous they canít do some of these things. I get the combine cancel...itís overrated bullshit anyway. But I dunno, other seems lame
The combine is more important to coaches and GM from the standpoint of having informal conversations about player traders and such.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2,069
Re: NFL 2021 offseason COVID rules

Combine seemed to raise Mahomes and DJ Metcalfs profile. On the flip side, did the same for the Apke's of the world as well.

I like the combine, I think savy FOs can get more out of it than a Bruce or Vinny.

More is greater than less.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.12599 seconds with 10 queries