Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sources Confirm Portis-Sellers Incident

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Re: Sources Confirm Portis-Sellers Incident

i hope this gets people fired up.
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #32
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I wouldn't say Portis is a team cancer at all...I would say though that he reportedly doesn't really speak to any of his teammates but Moss. He basically just keeps to himself. He's not a team leader but I don't know about team cancer.
I agree. He's more like a tumor or an uncontrolled growth of cells.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #33
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Definitely agree. That's what he should have done. Team leader would do that. I mean all around the league you see guys getting right in teammates' faces, and they are more respected because of it.
This team doesnt have any leaders. With all the mess going on in the organization now I cant help but think that at this moment in time the Redskins may be the worst organization in the NFL.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Things will change when we draft Jonathan Dwyer
I'm hoping for CJ Spiller if we draft a rb. He's a burner.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #35
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
This team doesnt have any leaders. With all the mess going on in the organization now I cant help but think that at this moment in time the Redskins may be the worst organization in the NFL.
Sure. London Fletcher is no leader.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Fletcher, Randy Thomas, Samuels, Rock, Randle El...all respected as leaders

The Raiders...now that's a team with no leaders
Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #37
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
I wouldn't say Portis is a team cancer at all...I would say though that he reportedly doesn't really speak to any of his teammates but Moss. He basically just keeps to himself. He's not a team leader but I don't know about team cancer.
That doesn't sound good for a guy that seems as extroverted as he is, that he only really talks to Moss. If his teamates were mildly pissed (at least JLC used to say there was some resentment about his preferential treatment) when CP was getting 100 yrd. games back to back, then they're bound to be pissed if he's lobbying for in game subs.

He may not be a problem on an interpersonal level (w/this Sellers incident an exception) w/his teamates, but after a while the teachers pet role grows old. He really doesn't have much room to talk, even in his best game this year, he lost his balance a few times & left some yards on the field. It's his fault he got 98 rather than 100+.

See Slingin Sammy's game review. For anyone that's played football, RBs & WRs; did you ever do the drill "the stumble bum?" It might be called different names, but it basically amounts to running w/the ball while leaning over & touching the ground w/the other hand. It's to develop balance. Maybe a little bit of practice time & doing those silly drills would help CP (I know, he's hurt all week!).
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #38
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Fletcher, Randy Thomas, Samuels, Rock, Randle El...all respected as leaders

The Raiders...now that's a team with no leaders
I honestly think Jansen's absence maybe greater in this area than meets the eye.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #39
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Portis blows....not
He's definitely lost a step it seems but that could just be a product of pretty bad run blocking...
I just ran some numbers for 2008 (a year where portis did well). taking all rushers with at least 190 carries (26 in total) this is how portis stacks up...

he's +1.65 standard deviations above average in carries making him 86% better than the average back
he's +1.43 st dev above the mean in attemps per game making him low 80% better than the average back
he's +1.4 st dev above the mean in total yards gained again making him low 80% better than the average back
he's +.16 st dev above the mean in yard per carry (at 4.3 ypc) making him 10% better than the average back
he's +1.22 st dev above the mean in yards per game making him 80% better than the average back
he's +.02 st dev above the mean in tds scored making him 1.36% better than the average back
he's -1.27 st dev below the mean in longest run making him 80ish% worse than the average back
he's +1.61 st dev above the mean in first downs making him 85% better than the average back
he's +.39 st dev above the mean in first down percentage making him 26% better than the average back
he's +1.3 st dev above the mean in gains of 20+ yards making him 76% better than the average back
he's -1.09 st dev below the mean in 40+ gains making him 70% worse than the average back
he's +.22 st dev above the mean in fumbles lost making him 11% worse than the average back

what does this mean? I'm not sure much (especially because he had the 3rd most attempts in the league) but as its just one year (a year when portis was pretty good, a year where it was also heavily front loaded, a year where his line fell apart, etc) but I think it says that portis is good. Yes, he doesn't explode for huge gains, but he does better than we give him credit for with 20+ runs (certainly better than I give him credit for). That said, the fact that he's just 10% better than average in yards per attempt (in a year where he matched the best average that he's had in DC) is painful.
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #40
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
No leaders, Bit of a stretch wouldn't you say...? Thats retarded.

Worst org. in the NFL not by a long shot. Your getting a little carried away irish.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #41
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

As usual, Portis' mouth gets him into trouble. I understand offering suggestions (which I'll cover in a minute), but requesting a player be benched is over the line IMO. And if he truly felt that way, it should've been a closed door meeting with Zorn & Sherman Smith and kept quiet.

I'm normally a "Coach Portis needs to STFU and play" guy, but he and I do agree on the issues in the run game.

From the link SS posted:
"My suggestion always is to play smashmouth; on defense let's play smashmouth, on offense let's play smashmouth," he said. "If you wonder what I'm thinking or what I want to do, that'll never change. Let's go mano-a-mano, you line up over there and we'll line up over here and let's do it....I can't answer why we [don't] do it. I wonder the same thing.".......

......"If me and Mike both go downhill, then you've got one person trying to stop me and Mike Sellers," Portis said. "Impossible, if you ask me. But running sideways, Mike bounced out, I went in and the guy made a play. That should be a walk-in touchdown."

(towards the bottom - run game section)
http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tml#post603553

(item #4 at the bottom)
http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tml#post599734
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #42
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunellMVP? View Post
he's +1.65 standard deviations above average in carries making him 86% better than the average back
he's +1.43 st dev above the mean in attemps per game making him low 80% better than the average back
he's +1.4 st dev above the mean in total yards gained again making him low 80% better than the average back
he's +.16 st dev above the mean in yard per carry (at 4.3 ypc) making him 10% better than the average back
he's +1.22 st dev above the mean in yards per game making him 80% better than the average back
he's +.02 st dev above the mean in tds scored making him 1.36% better than the average back
he's -1.27 st dev below the mean in longest run making him 80ish% worse than the average back
he's +1.61 st dev above the mean in first downs making him 85% better than the average back
he's +.39 st dev above the mean in first down percentage making him 26% better than the average back
he's +1.3 st dev above the mean in gains of 20+ yards making him 76% better than the average back
he's -1.09 st dev below the mean in 40+ gains making him 70% worse than the average back
he's +.22 st dev above the mean in fumbles lost making him 11% worse than the average back
Who let GTripp have two accounts?
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #43
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I hate to say it, but if what's reported about CP requesting MS be replaced, it's another sign than CP is a team cancer, enabled by DS who has guaranteed him big $ even as his ability is in decline.

It's not the first time he's thrown teamates or coaches under the bus. Remember him talking about the o line last year & of course the "head coach is a genius" comments to J. Thompson.
There's the "C" word again. I've used it before too, and although up to this point in the season Portis has done and said the right things, it was just a matter of time until he got another case of diarrehea of the mouth.

This is not what's needed right now. I appreciate what Portis has done for the franchise, but he's not worth $ 10M / yr. and I believe it's time for he and the Skins to part ways after the season.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #44
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Who let GTripp have two accounts?
lol!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #45
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
There's the "C" word again. I've used it before too, and although up to this point in the season Portis has done and said the right things, it was just a matter of time until he got another case of diarrehea of the mouth.

This is not what's needed right now. I appreciate what Portis has done for the franchise, but he's not worth $ 10M / yr. and I believe it's time for he and the Skins to part ways after the season.
Yeah, but make sure we use the right "c" word!

Like I said, I hate to say it, cause I want the team to keep its core players till they retire. I would love to see CP become the 3rd down back & extend his career. But w/his drama & his lack of practicing + age, a rookie can easily outperform him running the ball. It looks certain a rb will be drafted next year, when is the question. They'll probably look at cutting Betts to make room.

I really think his lack of practice is affecting CP's performance. Maybe he was too nicked to practice, but his ankle spurs can't be that bad, otherwise he wouldn't be jumping up & down at the end of the game.