Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the trade for Alex Smith?
Yes 50 58.14%
No 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #181
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Alex Smith the last 7 season has had a QB Rating of 90 or better, that is damn good. Is he the Franchise QB? No but he'll be fine for 3 years or 4. Also dude is a winner 88-62 as a starter, that is damn good. Look I wanted KC to stay and be our guy for the next 7 years, that was never going to happen,.

Smith in the playoffs
7 Games 2-5-0 156 253 61.66 1745 14 2 97.4 18 102 6.90 7.65 35 220 6.29 1 1 6 0.0 1 0

14 tds 2 ints I'll take that. 2-5 record isn't any good but atleast he plays good in the playoffs

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #182
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I like Alex Smith as a player but he is not the future at QB for the Skins. I would not be a bit surprised if the Skins draft our QB of the future in the 1st or 2nd Round of this years draft. Smith will probably be our starter for two years while an apprentice studies under him.

Concerning the trade values: If we trade a 3rd Rounder to KC and pick up a 3rd Round compensatory pick for losing KC, isn't that a wash on the picks? So we only gave up Kendall Fuller in trade for Smith. How is that a bad trade?
Well you also have to look at the entirety of the situation you cannot take the compensation for Cousins as a part of the trade without talking about the loss of Cousins, as they are two separate issues.

Part 1:
Alex Smith for Fuller and a 3rd rounder (I personally do not like the trade a journey man QB that has been ran out of two teams for two players that would be cheap and one that was on the upswing is a loss to me)
Part 2:
Kirk Cousins for a 3rd round compensatory pick (Anyway you slice it this is a loss)

All they did was try to minimize the embarrassment of the Kirk contracts.

FWIW we are getting dragged through the coals for this in the Baltimore sports media. Not a surprise because they hate the Skins.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #183
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
It is interesting to see how we are divided on this move - some people applaud the move and some people are saying it's end of Redskins world for next 5 years.

In my perspective, I am not surprised by this move at all; it simply is all about value. Cousins and Smith are similar QB in general (yes, Cousins is little better than Smith but not by wide margin). Cousins and his agent want a contract that is close to $30m per year, and Smith seems to accept $23.5m per year, which will allow us to resign or sign 1 or 2 players (Z. Brown as an example). Don't forget Jay's offense system is QB friendly system - I have no doubt we will get similar results with Smith. We basically moved down in 3rd round pick with the compensatory pick, which we will get from Cousins. However, I am disappointed with giving up Fuller, I assumed we would let Breeland walk and then move Fuller to #2 CB. I suppose the plan is different now.. .
I think the compensatory pick for KC is in 2019
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #184
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Hate, hate hate this move. How in the world can you give up your highest rated player last year on defense? The man was a screen pass killer. He is a bonafide star in the making.

For Alex Smith.

We traded away our rising young defensive homegrown talent still under team control for an older Kirk Cousins. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

This move reeks of the age old, "win now" mentality, and doesn't play like a team capitalizing on it's own building blocks. This defense will suffer from this, and now CB has been added this defenses long list of needs.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #185
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
A few thoughts here:

- Cousins was as good as gone so what did you prefer to Smith? Teddy B? Bradford? McCoy? Cousins also wasn't taking $23.5M per year.

- Smith is 33, no question he's still got some good years left in the tank, I'd say at least 2-3 which is enough to get us to the next option.

- With a compensatory pick coming back from Cousins leaving it's essentially Fuller for Smith. I love Fuller but I wouldn't have said trading him was a deal breaker.

- KC wasn't going to let him go for a ham sandwich. He was still under contract and no doubt several teams were very interested.
Fuller is a player that's on the upswing. You simply can not trade a young, corner that you drafted for an old QB that doesn't throw downfield. So yes as I said, Colt could most likely do what Smith does. They should have went w/ Colt, signed a vet, keep the draft pick. They could have grabbed a QB in the 3rd round. Smith isn't taking you all the way anyway. This is Bruce Allen's way of doing business. Piss away draft picks just like his dad.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #186
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Hate, hate hate this move. How in the world can you give up your highest rated player last year on defense? The man was a screen pass killer. He is a bonafide star in the making.

For Alex Smith.

We traded away our rising young defensive homegrown talent still under team control for an older Kirk Cousins. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

This move reeks of the age old, "win now" mentality, and doesn't play like a team capitalizing on it's own building blocks. This defense will suffer from this, and now CB has been added this defenses long list of needs.
Bro this is a WIN NOW league, we all know this.. Yeah it sucks losing Fuller (who apparently didn't even know) but its the NFL in today's world.. You can replace a CB much easier than a QB..

Would you rather have KF and Colt Mccoy starting or some rookie that is a huge ? Not me, I am tired of the "we will just ride it out" No I want to start winning now, and so does Jay.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #187
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Fuller is a player that's on the upswing. You simply can not trade a young, corner that you drafted for an old QB that doesn't throw downfield. So yes as I said, Colt could most likely do what Smith does. They should have went w/ Colt, signed a vet, keep the draft pick. They could have grabbed a QB in the 3rd round. Smith isn't taking you all the way anyway. This is Bruce Allen's way of doing business. Piss away draft picks just like his dad.
Once again Alex Smith was in the top 10 in Deep ball attempts last season, why do you guys keep saying this?

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards

right with KIRK
Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #188
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

At point, its vital to see the numbers in the Alex Smith extension. Im praying for an out clause after the 3rd year.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #189
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
At point, its vital to see the numbers in the Alex Smith extension. Im praying for an out clause after the 3rd year.
71 M Guaranteed is all u really need to know, kirk will prob get 85 or 90m
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #190
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I like Alex Smith as a player but he is not the future at QB for the Skins. I would not be a bit surprised if the Skins draft our QB of the future in the 1st or 2nd Round of this years draft. Smith will probably be our starter for two years while an apprentice studies under him.

Concerning the trade values: If we trade a 3rd Rounder to KC and pick up a 3rd Round compensatory pick for losing KC, isn't that a wash on the picks? So we only gave up Kendall Fuller in trade for Smith. How is that a bad trade?
Here's why. Because you just lost your best corner on an already bad defense. That doesn't make your bad defense any better. If it was Cravens I could stomach this, but Fuller was a building block and a guy you can't trade.

Keeping the 3rd rounder, signing a vet to compete w/ Colt and drafting someone was the smarter thing to do. But hey, Bruce knows how manage QB's of an NFL franchise. Just look at his past.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #191
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I know it is 71 guaranteed but not sure what that means at this juncture. I guess we will find out on March 14th.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #192
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Here's why. Because you just lost your best corner on an already bad defense. That doesn't make your bad defense any better. If it was Cravens I could stomach this, but Fuller was a building block and a guy you can't trade.

Keeping the 3rd rounder, signing a vet to compete w/ Colt and drafting someone was the smarter thing to do. But hey, Bruce knows how manage QB's of an NFL franchise. Just look at his past.
Just remember the whole world said we got robbed of the RG3 trade too and the Rams ended up getting basically nothing for years until Mcvay came. We'll see what happens, if Smith leads us to the playoffs next yr all will be forgotten
Old 01-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #193
Jayroc24
Special Teams

I voted no, my reason why-

Like the Alex Smith as the QB.
Hate the Fuller plus the 3rd rounder, my thoughts that the 3rd was enough.
They were going to cut/trade him regardless....

We do not have the running game the AS needs to be successful.
Fat Rob is not the answer.
Jayroc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #194
metalskins
The Starter

Alex Smith is clearly the best QB the Redskins could've picked up in this offseason. No way Kirk was signing a LTD with us. Just get over that fact. Nobody likes the idea of giving up Kendall Fuller - I sure don't, but do you really think KC was willing to give up Alex Smith for a ham sandwich? (Well, maybe Andy Reid would've taken the ham sandwich as well!)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #195
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins Trade for Alex Smith

This is a QB driven league, I'll take having good Proven QB over a Good slot CB any day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk