Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sources: Commanders finalize deal to make Eric Bieniemy new OC

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the hiring of Eric Bieniemy?
Yes 29 82.86%
No 2 5.71%
I'm on the fence 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #31
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Sources: Commanders finalize deal to make Eric Bieniemy new OC

Make no mistake about it, the NFC East and Washington both improved a whole lot with this deal.

Advertisements
Old 02-20-2023, 12:47 AM   #32
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Definitely approve. However, let's all be honest, KC wasn't winning SB's and becoming a top offense until Mahomes took over. It always comes down to players and most importantly who you got under center.

When Alex Smith was playing they were making the playoffs and getting bounced. They draft Mahomes, they got 2 SB's and now Andy Reid is going into the HOF.
Don’t worry, we got Sam Howell!

All joking aside, you’re right. Reid couldn’t win with good but not great QB play from Alex Smith and McNabb.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:51 AM   #33
jamf
Pro Bowl

In regards to the hire, I like it for the upcoming season but I still hope they blow it up when the new owner arrives.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:05 AM   #34
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Third times a charm for Washington when dealing with Andy Reid.
Lolol. There's a 3% chance this works out.

But it's all irrelevant until the ownership situation is settled.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #35
Schneed10
A Dude

I didn't love Turner but I'm not sure the OC was ever the reason we've been bottom 3rd in the NFL in offense. It's more about iffy personnel moves especially along the OL and lack of ability to find a QB.

If those things get fixed with OL investment and Sam Howell becoming something useful, then EB will look like a genius. If they don't he's going to be playing with two hands tied behind his back just like Turner was.

To be clear I think EB is better than Turner so I approve of the hire but I'm just not convinced this is going to make a big difference. It's the blocking and the QB.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #36
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I didn't love Turner but I'm not sure the OC was ever the reason we've been bottom 3rd in the NFL in offense. It's more about iffy personnel moves especially along the OL and lack of ability to find a QB.

If those things get fixed with OL investment and Sam Howell becoming something useful, then EB will look like a genius. If they don't he's going to be playing with two hands tied behind his back just like Turner was.

To be clear I think EB is better than Turner so I approve of the hire but I'm just not convinced this is going to make a big difference. It's the blocking and the QB.
Yeah until we find a QB NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.. I hope SH is that guy but right now we have no clue and neither does EB
Old 02-20-2023, 10:03 AM   #37
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Sources: Commanders finalize deal to make Eric Bieniemy new OC

How many times last year would one more TD have possibly won us a game? One more TD instead of a FG? Not hitting that wall at the 30 yard line due to piss poor play calling and piss poor quarterback play. One more first down here and there to give the D a much needed breather.
We do not need the greatest show on turf with our D. We need a semi competent offense. EB and Howell, imo, get us over that little hump that Turner and Wentz or Taylor couldn’t.

Even with the same oline we probably get over that hump and win a couple more games last year.
Fixing the oline is priority number one though.

Minny
Tennessee
Both Giants games.
Detroit?

All games that one more score would have won.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #38
SunnySide
Playmaker

EB is a better quality candidate than youd imagine we could land at this odd lame duck year coming up.

Im guessing hes one of the top 5 highest paid Coordinators.

Good for us. Not sure it adds a W to our record next year but it should be interesting to see a new philosophy.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #39
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
How many times last year would one more TD have possibly won us a game? One more TD instead of a FG? Not hitting that wall at the 30 yard line due to piss poor play calling and piss poor quarterback play. One more first down here and there to give the D a much needed breather.
We do not need the greatest show on turf with our D. We need a semi competent offense. EB and Howell, imo, get us over that little hump that Turner and Wentz or Taylor couldn’t.

Even with the same oline we probably get over that hump and win a couple more games last year.
Fixing the oline is priority number one though.

Minny
Tennessee
Both Giants games.
Detroit?

All games that one more score would have won.
You're kind of just waving the magic wand and saying one more score and boom four more wins. How do you know the team has time for the improvements in scheme to matter before the QB comes under pressure? How do you know Howell won't turn it over at the same rate that Wentz did?

I think the only definitively true thing you said is fixing the line is priority one. If that doesn't happen we'll be right around 500 again. If it gets fixed, then sure, playoffs are possible.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:44 AM   #40
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
You're kind of just waving the magic wand and saying one more score and boom four more wins. How do you know the team has time for the improvements in scheme to matter before the QB comes under pressure? How do you know Howell won't turn it over at the same rate that Wentz did?

I think the only definitively true thing you said is fixing the line is priority one. If that doesn't happen we'll be right around 500 again. If it gets fixed, then sure, playoffs are possible.

Our offense was putrid last year Schneed. Especially when we got down around the opponents 40. How many times did you say wtf is Turner doing? I said it at least 5 times a game. Especially down in that area. Again, without an improved Oline our Offense will struggle. But a better playcall, a more mobile qb, and a more accurate throw probably result in another score here and there. I don’t think that is a far fetched assumption. There were plenty of times last year our oline held their own and we all asked wtf was that playcall or who the hell was he throwing to? We got a solid D, and plenty of weapons on offense. I think a more capable qb and OC would have had us in the playoffs last year. If you want to argue that Sam is better than Taylor or Carson well that is another story. I certainly think he is/will be.

Anyway fix the oline and couple that with EB and Sam and the offensive problems most definitely go away.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:06 PM   #41
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Our offense was putrid last year Schneed. Especially when we got down around the opponents 40. How many times did you say wtf is Turner doing? I said it at least 5 times a game. Especially down in that area. Again, without an improved Oline our Offense will struggle. But a better playcall, a more mobile qb, and a more accurate throw probably result in another score here and there. I don’t think that is a far fetched assumption. There were plenty of times last year our oline held their own and we all asked wtf was that playcall or who the hell was he throwing to? We got a solid D, and plenty of weapons on offense. I think a more capable qb and OC would have had us in the playoffs last year. If you want to argue that Sam is better than Taylor or Carson well that is another story. I certainly think he is/will be.

Anyway fix the oline and couple that with EB and Sam and the offensive problems most definitely go away.
OK we're mostly saying the same thing then, maybe you're saying it with a bit more optimism.

Howell's going to have a learning curve. The bad INT in the end zone against Dallas was indicative of the kind of growing pain we'll have with a young guy. Will he be better than what Heinicke gave us? Better arm, for sure. Pretty mobile, EB will like having that tool in the toolbox.

But if he makes shitbird decisions under pressure then it's all for naught. We don't know what we have there at QB, we only have hope. One thing's for sure, to give him a chance he needs a better line, that much we clearly agree on.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #42
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
OK we're mostly saying the same thing then, maybe you're saying it with a bit more optimism.

Howell's going to have a learning curve. The bad INT in the end zone against Dallas was indicative of the kind of growing pain we'll have with a young guy. Will he be better than what Heinicke gave us? Better arm, for sure. Pretty mobile, EB will like having that tool in the toolbox.

But if he makes shitbird decisions under pressure then it's all for naught. We don't know what we have there at QB, we only have hope. One thing's for sure, to give him a chance he needs a better line, that much we clearly agree on.

Total optimism. It’s February. Lol
I blame that int on first game jitters. It was awful though. I would trade back in the first and grab Torrence out of Florida. Beast of a Guard.

On defense improve mlb and corner.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:38 PM   #43
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Total optimism. It’s February. Lol
I blame that int on first game jitters. It was awful though. I would trade back in the first and grab Torrence out of Florida. Beast of a Guard.

On defense improve mlb and corner.
If we get the right depth on the line I agree we could take off. I suggest everyone read this terrific Mark Bullock analysis of the Eric Bieniemy offense with the Chiefs. It focuses on the run scheme; he calls a mix of power, zone, and RPO. Bullock takes you through how the linemen react.

What the Commanders' Offense Will Look Like With Bieniemy

For me the big takeaway is he's going to need agile linemen who are sturdy enough to mix in Power. Sam Cosmi probably has a place in that world. Chris Paul might if he can be consistent enough. But to me it says we need a pretty big overhaul of our line. Leno can pass protect OK but is he agile enough for a zone scheme? Can Roullier or Larsen move well enough after so many injuries? Can Schweitzer do anything but Power?

I think we're looking at a pretty big overhaul of the line and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. But it's definitely a critical thing to get right.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:05 PM   #44
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Who is calling the shots on these personnel moves for the O line? I think the brain trust here scares me more than the fact that we need to overhaul the line.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:07 PM   #45
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Who is calling the shots on these personnel moves for the O line? I think the brain trust here scares me more than the fact that we need to overhaul the line.
Pretty sure EB will have a lot of input given his Asst. Head Coach title, and it would not surprise me if this was widely discussed in his interview/deal negotiation process. It is obvious that Ron is turning the keys to the offense over to him.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote