Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Keim added.....

John Keim
@john_keim
·
1h
Has been made clear: they don’t want to overspend (esp with picks) to get someone with a roster they still need to build. Perhaps in another year in a different spot based on how this offseason goes.
Exactly.
Keep building through draft, including at QB, and only trades should be down for more picks.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #1517
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Watson will be bankrupted, without suing, by simply not collecting a salary. You are correct the fines come out of salary not paid. The team can sue for bonus money, but there are limitations. Basically, Watson comes back Week 11, team can sue him for prorated 10 weeks of bonus. Some variation depending on bye week?, suspect it is just treated like a standard pay week. Most teams don't do that because alienates player permanently, but they can. That's around $3.5M, and Watson basically then gets hosed for twice that amount because he paid taxes and agent fees already. They can also take fines out of his checks from week 11 onward, which are I believe more dispersed under new CBA, checks throughout like 8 months of year keep players with budgeting skills of 7 year olds from going broke, not just weekly game checks. He's due $10.5M in 2021, but gets 38% of that only, because of games missed. About $4M. Some variation with preseason games how they count etc., could make that higher, but most estimates say Watson holds out of everything, fines are $3M to $4M. That means he earns $1M maximum, after fines, and it could be nothing or he could even end up owing team money. His effective earnings 2021 are thus NOTHING if he holds out. And this isn't some guy that lives frugally on the few million he hasn't spent. Even if he makes $1M in 2021, pays half in taxes, 3% agent fee or whatever, etc.

I do not know how holdout has changed under new CBA, when player can come back and still get entire season. They tightened some previsions on holdouts, but I don't know.

TW collected fat checks almost a decade. Situation not analogous. TW easily worth $50M+ liquid when he held out.

I agree he will sit out this year probably, and my point is Houston ownership is fine with that and has him by the balls. They will eat the money and cornhole him because the money matters MUCH less to them than him. And by the time year 2 rolls around, of the holdout, Watson will be rolling up on broke, in NFL player terms. His market value not playing football is under $100K, optimistically. Houston owners rake in the cash from TV deal even if Watson doesn't play and tickets don't sell. I also think owners in general STRONGLY support Houston owners, simply because they aren't going to let players take huge new deals with tons of guaranteed money and then hold them hostage and hijack their golden goose. There is always another player, even at QB, and a huge line of players have learned that the hard way. Love it or hate it, owners wield almost all power in NFL.

2022 is the first year Watson earns real money, $35M, but if he holds out, that drops. to $13.3M, minus $4M fines, $9.3M, half for taxes agent fees, $4.7M left. Not chump change, but not a pile either, especially because he is now on hook for 2 years of bonus money, which team will certainly go after by 2022, which is 6.7M or something for two years prorated. Probably involves player's union, but team can still sue. And he has to get to 2022. By that time, end of 2022 season, he's rolling up on 28 by start of next season, and has squandered his prime. I don't think it'll get to that. But Houston can just sit on it and hose him. They can sign another QB free agent, draft one, whatever, and earn the TV revenue.

Watson is a HOLE, and dumb, for not thinking it through before signing new deal. I fully expect Houston to maintain its zero-tolerance no trade policy for years. By 2022 Watson will cave, for sure, and the team can easily eat the $13.3M just out of spite as dead cap money.

Watson isn't going ANYWHERE, except to bankruptcy court if he doesn't play by 2022, and by that time I think he will certainly cave simply because his years of high earning are limited, whereas Houston ownership earns forever no matter what players they have or don't have. I hope he does hold out and go broke, that would serve him right for being such a HOLE, taking pirate ships full of loot for signing bonus and than reneging on his contractual obligations.
Watson has earned 40Million Cash so far. The Texans aren't bankrupting him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:04 AM   #1518
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Yeah, I definitely don't think you'll find him in bankruptcy court anytime soon. I still think they will end up trading him eventually.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #1519
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Lol I love how a 24 year old signing a 150 million+ deal is dumb. What 24 year old is turning that down?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #1520
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Lol I love how a 24 year old signing a 150 million+ deal is dumb. What 24 year old is turning that down?
It is also funny how some fans are basically rooting for a Bruce Allen type move by the Texans:

A team in rebuilding mode stubbornly holding on to a player, who obviously doesn't want to play for the team anymore, and giving up compensation that can be used to rebuild the team.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #1521
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Exactly. And also you have seen this trend of the superstar player having more leverage through a slowly weakening CBA. The owners still have the leverage over 90% of their players but every team has 2 - 3 players that have set themselves in the right place financially and contractually to have a lot more say in their employment even after they sign the contract. I think as good agents learn those loopholes and structures we are going to be seeing this more often from star players, especially on teams that have dysfunctional front offices.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #1522
MTK
\m/

Watson isn't going bankrupt lol get the F outta here
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #1523
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
It is also funny how some fans are basically rooting for a Bruce Allen type move by the Texans:

A team in rebuilding mode stubbornly holding on to a player, who obviously doesn't want to play for the team anymore, and giving up compensation that can be used to rebuild the team.
I agree the Texans may be better off trading him than having the situation rot even more. But the difference is BA effed up the Kirk Cousins situation by 1) not signing him earlier 2) low balling him 3) not trading him when it was obvious he wasn't going to stay AND he was under the tag so was going to be lost for nothing.

Watson just signed a 5y contract making him the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, that gives the Texans leverage, and some legitimacy to say "we're not trading a 25 years old franchise QB we just signed to a 5yr contract".
Old 03-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #1524
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I agree the Texans may be better off trading him than having the situation rot even more. But the difference is BA effed up the Kirk Cousins situation by 1) not signing him earlier 2) low balling him 3) not trading him when it was obvious he wasn't going to stay AND he was under the tag so was going to be lost for nothing.

Watson just signed a 5y contract making him the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, that gives the Texans leverage, and some legitimacy to say "we're not trading a 25 years old franchise QB we just signed to a 5yr contract".
Tricky situation. Gun to head, I'd trade him, just to move on. But I can totally see why Texans would want to hold onto him as well. The Texans have one of the best QB situations in the league, minus him trying to force a trade.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #1525
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Move up and grab our guy
Old 03-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #1526
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Exactly. And also you have seen this trend of the superstar player having more leverage through a slowly weakening CBA. The owners still have the leverage over 90% of their players but every team has 2 - 3 players that have set themselves in the right place financially and contractually to have a lot more say in their employment even after they sign the contract. I think as good agents learn those loopholes and structures we are going to be seeing this more often from star players, especially on teams that have dysfunctional front offices.
Yeah plus it is not like he is going to a competitor and taking his money from Houston as well. He is holding out, not getting paid. It is the confines of the CBA. Under current constructs the CBA favors high value players and ownership. I think as long as they can keep their hold on most of their product they will tolerate a few headaches here and there. How many times has a hold out like this happened? Only a handful
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #1527
irish
Playmaker

Quote:

You forgot to mention signing Alex Smith to a big $ extension so BA could prove he can sign QBs to extensions. IMO that big $ extension was the cherry on $hit sundae.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #1528
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
You forgot to mention signing Alex Smith to a big $ extension so BA could prove he can sign QBs to extensions. IMO that big $ extension was the cherry on $hit sundae.
100%, and if we're going down that road, let's not forget how Alex' trade was made without any football people being informed nor asked for advise. Let's call that the puke topping laid over the cherry on our shit sundae.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #1529
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Tricky situation. Gun to head, I'd trade him, just to move on. But I can totally see why Texans would want to hold onto him as well. The Texans have one of the best QB situations in the league, minus him trying to force a trade.
I'm with you, with all the reasons to keep him, I think if one team is willing to put an absolute block-buster never seen before offer, you take it rather than dragging yourself into a lose-lose situation... Because if Deshaun starts sitting games, he'll lose money, but they'll lose trade leverage.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:20 PM   #1530
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

Regardless of the situation with Cousins or Trent, Bruce Allen was stubborn and refused to acknowledge that it was better for the team to trade both players and he didn't.

Houston may have a star QB, but have no draft capital or cap space to build around Watson.

They are either going to have a bad 2021 season with no draft capital this year and Watson sitting out during the season OR have a bad 2021 season with extra first round picks in 2022 and 2023. I'd rather have the latter.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote