Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #166
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I think Reed will also retire. If he tries to continue to play he risks damaging his health due to more concussions. CTE is no joke and the case of Aaron Hernandez is well known- he had a major case of CTE before his life descended into hell.
CTE can only be accurately diagnosed post mortem, so while Hernandez might well have it it can't have been diagnosed. Besides there's no causal link to it making someone homicidal so it's a bit of a stretch to relate it to his behaviour. It's more likely to lead to depression and similar psychosis than make you homicidal.

But yeah, Reed should hang em up after so many concussions not to mention the other injuries.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #167
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Olsen and Reed should join the retired list. No way I want either on this roster.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #168
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I think Reed will also retire. If he tries to continue to play he risks damaging his health due to more concussions. CTE is no joke and the case of Aaron Hernandez is well known- he had a major case of CTE before his life descended into hell.

If Reed decides to continue to play in the NFL, I don’t think the Redskins will resign him. He is too much of an injury risk after the last two years. He has so much potential but it means nothing if he can’t play in the regular season.

I think that the big FA signing this season will be for TE. A big contract at this position will have the biggest impact for the team, for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I seriously doubt CTE had a thing to do with the plight of Aaron Hernandez. His criminal behavior, drug use and the crowd he ran with went back to High School. If you want an example of CTE's devastating effects look at someone like Junior Seau.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #169
Warthog
The Starter

I’m not saying that’s Aaron Hernandez’s murders and criminal behavior were caused by CTE. But CTE causes constant blinding headaches and many other bad effects that destroy an ex-players quality of life. I think that Reed will quit the NFL, because he’s worried about destroying his post-NFL life.
Other young NFL players have or will do so in the future.

Even if he doesn’t leave the NFL, the Redskins can’t gamble on his again. Besides the Redskins need his cap space to hire a new TE FA. I think the skins will spend big money on this position in FA.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #170
SunnySide
Playmaker

Another young talented DE will be a FA.

edit - article calls him a DE but I think for sure he is a LB.
-----------------------

The Atlanta Falcons announced that they will not pursue negotiations with defensive end Vic Beasley Jr., meaning the former NFL sack champion will become a free agent.

"As we continue to craft our 2020 roster, we'd like to thank Vic for five years of effort on behalf of our organization,'' general manager Thomas Dimitroff said in statement on Monday.

Beasley, who was coach Dan Quinn's first draft pick in 2015, taken eighth overall, did not show consistency despite leading the NFL with 15.5 sacks in 2016 -- the season the Falcons made it to the Super Bowl. Beasley made the Pro Bowl that year but managed just five sacks in each of the 2017 and 2018 seasons. Although Beasley had eight sacks this past season, 6.5 of those came in the second half of the season.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ake-free-agent

Rookie year he looked HOF but he has been inconsistent, not that I watch many Falcons games though.

Is he really a DE now? I thought he was strictly a LB. Thought he was fast, kinda a sideline to sideline pursuit guy.

He's listed at 6'3" and 245 lbs .. that too small to be an end in any system imo.
Chase Young is 6'5" and 265.

If he was reasonable and wanted to move back to LB, Id kick the tires for sure. No idea if Atlanta was playing him as a hand in dirt type but if they were ... yesh.

He reminded me of CJ Mosley, who the Ravens let walk and signed a mega deal w the Jets.

FA = talented edge rushers
Old 02-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #171
GridIron26
Playmaker

I will be fine if we sign Beasley on a prove it one year deal although I cannot see how he will fit in the new defense. I suppose we could use him just for obvious pass rush plays but I imagine he will want to join a team where he will be a full time starter.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #172
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I will be fine if we sign Beasley on a prove it one year deal although I cannot see how he will fit in the new defense. I suppose we could use him just for obvious pass rush plays but I imagine he will want to join a team where he will be a full time starter.
I imagine he will want north of 10M per w 60% or more guaranteed.
I imagine he will get it.
I also imagine this means they are signing TE Cooper to a LTD.

I keep hearing fans on the radio talking about how much cap space we have and how this team will look totally different next year ....

Every team except like the Saints and rams have a ton of cap space.
Do you know who has more cap space then us? The god damn cowboys, even w tagging Dak.

19 more teams currently have more cap space then us. I know, well cut Reed and reduce RK etc but other teams will make cap saving moves to.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

1. Phins 89M
2. Colts 86M
3. Bills 80M

5. the God damn Dallass Cowboys 77M
7. giants 61M

19. Eagles 40M
20. Skins 38M
---

Were going to have money to spend ... but so are a lot of teams. Seems like the contract game is changing ... quickly.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #173
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I imagine he will want north of 10M per w 60% or more guaranteed.
I imagine he will get it.
I also imagine this means they are signing TE Cooper to a LTD.

I keep hearing fans on the radio talking about how much cap space we have and how this team will look totally different next year ....

Every team except like the Saints and rams have a ton of cap space.
Do you know who has more cap space then us? The god damn cowboys, even w tagging Dak.

19 more teams currently have more cap space then us. I know, well cut Reed and reduce RK etc but other teams will make cap saving moves to.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

1. Phins 89M
2. Colts 86M
3. Bills 80M

5. the God damn Dallass Cowboys 77M
7. giants 61M

19. Eagles 40M
20. Skins 38M
---

Were going to have money to spend ... but so are a lot of teams. Seems like the contract game is changing ... quickly.
A good portion of that Cowboys is going to Dak as a franchise tag or long term extension

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #174
Irrefutable
The Starter

$10 million for Beasley? he had less than 2 tackles per game

No thanks
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #175
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-visit-reports

Redskins will host free agent tight end Greg Olsen

So this is happening

He Gets Us
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #176
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-visit-reports

Redskins will host free agent tight end Greg Olsen

So this is happening
Told you. It’s between us and Buffalo as Brandon Beane used to be in Carolina too.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #177
Warthog
The Starter

The Redskins will have lots of cap room WHEN they trade/dump many of their current FA. The reason the Redskins are low on the cap room list right now is because the Redskins haven’t made those decisions yet. I think this week the Redskins management is on vacation. Next week they will start to evaluate the team to determine who is to be let go. Then they will need to figure out what positions need to be dealt with in FA / draft /UDFA.

The whole TE FA equation is being re-written by the Greg Olsen visit. He’s a one year hire for his ability to help Haskins, kind of like Alex Smith, except he will play. His hire, which I expect, will mean that instead of hiring an elite, younger and very expensive FA such as Hooper, the Redskins will hire a more a lower price TE and probably will draft a TE for long-term development.

BL -I think the Redskins will hire Greg Olsen. He and RR have worked together and he will be used to help develop Haskins.

Flyboy.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #178
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Told you. It’s between us and Buffalo as Brandon Beane used to be in Carolina too.
Yeah...one thing about Olsen is he is really tough, that would be a change versus the guys we have had before. My obvious concern would be if he is starting, then this would be kinda terrible as he will get hurt. I really hope we find a starter in Free Agency or draft

He Gets Us
Old 02-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #179
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah...one thing about Olsen is he is really tough, that would be a change versus the guys we have had before. My obvious concern would be if he is starting, then this would be kinda terrible as he will get hurt. I really hope we find a starter in Free Agency or draft
Reed averaged 6 games the last 3 years, so if Olsen plays more than that it is a bonus. They need 3 new TEs, so they should have help if Olsen can not play 16 games.

FWIW... a few years ago Olsen played 144+ games in a row, granted he is older now
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #180
Warthog
The Starter

I think the Redskins will hire Greg Olsen within a week. I think he will be hired at reasonable cost. The next question is who else will be hired at TE.

As I have said, I think TE is where the Redskins will spend the most of their FA money. I think it is still possible for the Redskins to hire an elite TE like Hooper or Henry - both who are in their 20’s. The combination of Olsen and let’s say Hooper will help Haskins greatly, especially in the Red Zone. The quest to get an elite TE like Hooper or Henry will be expensive as they are coveted by other teams. They will probably be record TE contracts. Getting two very good TE will also help the running game as they can both block as well as catch. The money to hire this TE plan will come from letting Reed go and also because Vernon Davis retired.

I also think the Redskins will resign Trent Williams with a contract of guaranteed money that he wants. I give it a 50-50 chance the Redskins will sign Trent, Scherff and Flowers.

Olsen will help mentor Haskins, like Alex Smith is doing. This can only help Haskins to grow.

Flyboy.