Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #376
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Coaching and Front Office Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Couple of things.

1. "Snyder has undermined every coach but Gibbs": I think it's telling that Gibbs told RR "Keep DS in the loop" AND that RR deemed that info an important tidbit to share publicly. I imagine the conversation with JG went something like this: RR "So, is DS the interfering busybody the press says he is and is he going to undermine my decisions?" JG "DS is just passionate about the Skins, a big well-intentioned fan that happens to be the owner and wants to be part of the team. As long as you keep him informed about what you want to do, why you are doing it, and generally make him feel like an important part of the organization, you will be fine." From what I have seen, I think RR will manage DS just fine; that, more than anything else, will be the key to the Skins future success.

2. I hate everything about this regime because it is doing so many good things - without actually telling everyone they are doing good things ("We are winning the offseason", "We have a damn good culture.") - that I can't wait for next season to start. For the next nine months I will alternate between being excited and dreading the nuts kick - I am going to need medication. <sarcastic font off>.

Now, draft the Predator and pass me the damn Kool-Aid.

The nut kick really hinges on Haskins growth. There is absolutely no reason our defense should not be improved because of Del Rio and hopefully Young. Our staff is obviously better. Bruce FUCKING Allen is gone which can only be good. Our wr’s and rb’s look solid. We will add (hopefully smartly) through the draft and FA towards our needs - namely TE, OLine, and Secondary.
It really all hinges on Haskins. He is the elephant in the room right now.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #377
Warthog
The Starter

Coaching and Front Office Changes

Our defense will improve quickly and immensely! I don’t think that with Chase and a couple good FA acquisitions at FS and CB it is unreasonable for the Redskins to have a top 10 defense. There is a good deal of talent on the defense which was just grossly mismanaged by Manusky. He was bad. This Redskin defense will shock the NFC East after it being so SOFT and DISORGANIZED for so many years. Players were lost in Greg Manusky’s complex system!

The offense is more of a project. The key acquisition is to rehire Trent, Scherff and Flowers to stabilize the line. They’ll draft a OL with the third round pick. Of all the FA acquisitions the Redskins need, the most important is TE. I think the team will spend top tier money for the best TE FA, who is young and can grow with Haskins. They also will spend cap money on a very good WR. As stated above, the future of the Redskins is tied to Haskins progression.

I think the ‘skins could be a 8-8 team next year with a hard-hitting defense and a pass throwing offense. No kool aid talk, that’s what I see now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Last edited by Warthog; 01-18-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #378
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Check out this crazy train article. Belichick coach the Skins?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ching-redskins
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #379
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Check out this crazy train article. Belichick coach the Skins?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ching-redskins

I think this speaks to the NFL looking at the Redskins as a great frozen wreck, that could be restored with a huge CHANGE OF CULTURE and adult supervision. Belichick would have hardened up this vessel, as RR is going to. No more ping pong games when you could be lifting or watching tape or learning from a coach or working on fundamentals!

Flyboy.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #380
rickmmrr
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I think this speaks to the NFL looking at the Redskins as a great frozen wreck, that could be restored with a huge CHANGE OF CULTURE and adult supervision. Belichick would have hardened up this vessel, as RR is going to. No more ping pong games when you could be lifting or watching tape or learning from a coach or working on fundamentals!
F the ping pong table. No one is paying you millions of dollars to improve your ping pong game.
rickmmrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #381
mitch e
Camp Scrub

Smile Re: Coaching and Front Office Changes

wonder what kind of games Brady and his boys play?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #382
Warthog
The Starter

Coaching and Front Office Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmmrr View Post
F the ping pong table. No one is paying you millions of dollars to improve your ping pong game.

Right! You learn your position, talk to the coaches, study tape, lift weights but NOT have big Ping Pong tournaments when you’re a 3-13 team!! The Camp Gruden (cupcake) days are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

Last edited by Warthog; 01-20-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #383
SunnySide
Playmaker

Removing the ping pong table was 100% symbolic imo. Jay was a players coach and I havent been around their practices or the other 31 to compare but ..... I think this Club Jay thing is being over blown. Perhaps its cathartic.

When Callahan took over and talked about how they would practice "hard" ... the CBA limits how many times you can practice and how many times you can wear pads and have contact.

"Hard" to Callahan meant making the team run gassers and sprints. He couldnt have them doing any more contact drills then what they were already doing under Jay. Gassers .. team might accept that for a few weeks but that approach would have worn thin real quick for a full season.
------------------------------------------

Regular season/postseason rules

Limit of 14 padded practices during the regular season, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks (club may hold two padded practices during only one week) with remaining three during the final six weeks.
One padded practice per week in postseason.
Padded practices limited to three hours plus a walk-through with position coaches not to exceed 30 minutes.
Bye weeks – four consecutive days off.

Source: NFLPA summary of main terms of the 2011 collective bargaining agreement.

------------------

Every team is essentially Club Jay with these CBA rules.

Sure coach, have the guys run gassers and sprints during the walk throughs. There is no CBA against that ... but that wouldnt be acceptable well by the players over time imo.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #384
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Removing the ping pong table was 100% symbolic imo.
Wrong! Redskins Park is a place of business and not a social club. There should not have been a ping pong table to begin with.
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #385
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Wrong! Redskins Park is a place of business and not a social club. There should not have been a ping pong table to begin with.
I never understood the Ping Pong table. Go do that shit on your off time. Here you have guys on defense who blow coverages every single game cause of lack off communication and you have dudes playing Ping Pong at work. That to me sums up the Redskins under Gruden.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #386
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Alot of teams have ping pong tables pool tables etc. when you have an idiot owner, gm, staff and lack talent the ping pong table becomes an excuse. Do you guys really think if the Pats played ping pong occasionally at the stadium that they would have sucked for the last twenty years? No. But if they had a clown show running the team that lacked talent they would have.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #387
SunnySide
Playmaker

Option 1:

Players go home immediately after the mandatory 3 hour film session.

Option 2:

Players mingle around, joke, play a few games of pong before heading home after the 3 hour film session.

----

Idk. I highly doubt pong time was replacing film or workout time. I highly doubt pong was the downfall or even in the top 100 reasons for this season.

I would guess 75% of the teams have a pong table or something similar.

The best reason to get rid of it imo .. the locker room was too damn small for it anyway.
--------------------------

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...very-seriously

https://deadspin.com/only-veterans-m...ker-1350413205

Saints, Seahawks, falcons, Giants ...

I spent 3 mins looking for teams without a ping pong table and havent come across one yet. Sure there are articles about Saints removing them for playoffs or Steelers ... but seems like almost all teams have them. Seems like some teams remove them for certain times.

I just dont see the existence of the ping pong table having anything to do with on field communication. If anything is probably helps communication on the field as players who hang out off the field will be more open to talking on the field.

Will Blackmon talked about how when he first came to the Skins, the team was tight and hung out off the field and it made talking during games and being honest easier.
----------------

We went 3-13 and the ping pong table had 0 to do with that. I guess it makes it nice and convenient to blame Club jay and the Ping Pong table for our troubles. I mean, those are easy to fix. Fire jay and fire the pong table.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #388
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Removing the ping pong table was 100% symbolic imo. Jay was a players coach and I havent been around their practices or the other 31 to compare but ..... I think this Club Jay thing is being over blown. Perhaps its cathartic.

When Callahan took over and talked about how they would practice "hard" ... the CBA limits how many times you can practice and how many times you can wear pads and have contact.

"Hard" to Callahan meant making the team run gassers and sprints. He couldnt have them doing any more contact drills then what they were already doing under Jay. Gassers .. team might accept that for a few weeks but that approach would have worn thin real quick for a full season.

------------------------------------------

Regular season/postseason rules

Limit of 14 padded practices during the regular season, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks (club may hold two padded practices during only one week) with remaining three during the final six weeks.

One padded practice per week in postseason.

Padded practices limited to three hours plus a walk-through with position coaches not to exceed 30 minutes.

Bye weeks – four consecutive days off.

Source: NFLPA summary of main terms of the 2011 collective bargaining agreement.

------------------

Every team is essentially Club Jay with these CBA rules.

Sure coach, have the guys run gassers and sprints during the walk throughs. There is no CBA against that ... but that wouldnt be acceptable well by the players over time imo.
I would imagine that you can have practice in pads that is on one level very hard and you could have a practice in pads that is on the extreme other level more of a walkthrough by the guys are wearing pads and shells. Camp Jay means that even when your in pads you're still basically doing light work out or limited contact whereas under a more aggressive coach you might be running full speed or 3/4 speed so that you get the the game situation more closely replicated.
There is zero doubt the team came out more prepared once Jay was gone.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #389
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I would imagine that you can have practice in pads that is on one level very hard and you could have a practice in pads that is on the extreme other level more of a walkthrough by the guys are wearing pads and shells. Camp Jay means that even when your in pads you're still basically doing light work out or limited contact whereas under a more aggressive coach you might be running full speed or 3/4 speed so that you get the the game situation more closely replicated.
There is zero doubt the team came out more prepared once Jay was gone.

Yes, I agree, Im sure there are levels to how hard Coach A might go during padded contact practice vs Coach B ... but the CBA really limits it. I doubt Gruden was so much less demanding during his padded practices.

Callahan could only have 3 padded practices during the last 6 games/weeks.

I just dont think there is a huge variance on "how hard" coaches go during padded practices. You only get like 14 or so a year so I imagine they go as hard as they are allowed for as long as they are allowed.

Callahans "hard practices" = running sprints and gassers during walk throughs.

if anyone thinks Callahan had them cracking skulls or running Oklahoma drills 3x a week .... no.

1. I dont really care if the pong table goes. I thought it took up too much room.

2. Team did play harder after jay left and the false start penalties on Moses decreased.

Idk ... I think jay and the pong table are getting way too much of the blame pie.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #390
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Yes, I agree, Im sure there are levels to how hard Coach A might go during padded contact practice vs Coach B ... but the CBA really limits it. I doubt Gruden was so much less demanding during his padded practices.

Callahan could only have 3 padded practices during the last 6 games/weeks.

I just dont think there is a huge variance on "how hard" coaches go during padded practices. You only get like 14 or so a year so I imagine they go as hard as they are allowed for as long as they are allowed.

Callahans "hard practices" = running sprints and gassers during walk throughs.

if anyone thinks Callahan had them cracking skulls or running Oklahoma drills 3x a week .... no.

1. I dont really care if the pong table goes. I thought it took up too much room.

2. Team did play harder after jay left and the false start penalties on Moses decreased.

Idk ... I think jay and the pong table are getting way too much of the blame pie.
I agree with you about the ping pong table. It was Rivera coming in and making a clear but highly symbolic gesture to current players that a new wind was blowing thru. But if you are saying Jay's way of practicing and prepping the team was not a problem then I strongly disagree with that.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote