Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Washington Football > Locker Room Main Forum


Chase Young #99

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #16
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 96,793
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGisLordOfTheRings View Post
Dude is Clowney 2.0, said it from the day we drafted him.

Big, looks intimidating but is constantly out of position, takes himself out of plays, has about.5 pass rush moves and generally looks like a JAG.

Cant rush worth a fuck, can't cover, can tackle well either.

TF we think hes the face of a franchise for?

FFS we are pathetic.
Let's not go off the deep end. There are enough legit gripes to make without making stuff up. The guy can tackle, honest question when was the last time you saw him miss one?

PFF posted this on 10/25

Quote:
Chase Young hasn’t missed a tackle in 1,082 defensive snaps.

Longest active streak in the NFL
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 96,793
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Rivera had some insightful comments on JP Finlay's podcast this week - he had the analytics team look at how often Chase and Montez are facing chips or extra blocks on 3rd downs. Rivera said it's noticeably higher than league average.

That explains why the PFF grades are high but the sack numbers are low. It also says that Washington either just noticed this because of the analytics exercise, or they noticed it earlier but have failed to scheme anything up defensively to take advantage. If you know you're going to get chipped more often there should be something you can do schematically to counter it. Hasn't happened yet. Now that he publicly pointed to it, he better show that he has a plan to counter it.

I'd run games on 3rd down. Send the ends inside and let the DTs loop around. The ends won't be where the chipping blockers expect them to be.
Is CY the only guy in the league getting chipped though? Garrett, Donald, Watt, etc don't get doubled or chipped a ton? I don't know man, this has always seemed like a weak excuse to me. He seems to get plenty of one on ones and he's simply not winning enough.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #18
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 3,596
Re: Chase Young #99

He had an excellent rookie season. Truly excellent.

This year is highly disappointing so far for sure, but he can still turn it around.
I think part of the issue is a young guy used to success and not handling struggles and adversity very well.
But part of it is definitely on coaching too. You can't have a young player that talented regress that much and not blame coaches, at least partly.
Finally, I don't want to see him drop into coverage one more time. Ever. That was again the case last Sunday, and it was embarrassing, and it's not fooling anybody, and teams are taking advantage of it. It's like thinking you're smart for using a chainsaw to play ping pong. Yeah that's feasible. Yeah that's unexpected. But it's also highly inefficient.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 12,121
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Is CY the only guy in the league getting chipped though? Garrett, Donald, Watt, etc don't get doubled or chipped a ton? I don't know man, this has always seemed like a weak excuse to me. He seems to get plenty of one on ones and he's simply not winning enough.
Definitely needs to develop more pass rush moves if he's going to live up to the #2 overall pick, I'm just saying that his reputation and ability is drawing the attention of offensive coordinators. It's up to our defensive staff to scheme in such a way that lets the play of those around Chase actually be elevated by the attention Chase draws. They haven't, and that's probably the most disappointing thing about this year, to me. Del Rio hasn't schemed up anything. I'm getting very concerned that he and Rivera have a way of doing things, and they're either just too rigid to deviate from it, or they lack the strategic thought to adjust successfully.

Chase won't be a HOF player if he doesn't improve with his pass rush repertoire but it's also insane to call him a bust right now. I don't think his coaches are doing him any favors.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #20
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,596
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I’ll buy low on CY, he’s flashed and still figuring it out. JDR needs to step up
+1

JDR and Sam Mills - both are not looking too hot right now.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #21
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 3,648
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Rivera had some insightful comments on JP Finlay's podcast this week - he had the analytics team look at how often Chase and Montez are facing chips or extra blocks on 3rd downs. Rivera said it's noticeably higher than league average.

That explains why the PFF grades are high but the sack numbers are low. It also says that Washington either just noticed this because of the analytics exercise, or they noticed it earlier but have failed to scheme anything up defensively to take advantage. If you know you're going to get chipped more often there should be something you can do schematically to counter it. Hasn't happened yet. Now that he publicly pointed to it, he better show that he has a plan to counter it.

I'd run games on 3rd down. Send the ends inside and let the DTs loop around. The ends won't be where the chipping blockers expect them to be.

This falls on Rivera and Del Rio.....I think the answer is sending an extra pass rusher such as a LB, a safety, or even a corner......if one or more blockers are occupying Young and Sweat then the answer is to send a extra blitzer....the offense can't block everyone in this case.
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #22
irish
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,367
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
24 regular season games played as a starter and only 9 sacks after being selected as the 2nd overall pick in 2020.....

Question: is it too soon to label Chase Young a bust ???
Yes.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #23
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Forida
Posts: 5,619
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
This falls on Rivera and Del Rio.....I think the answer is sending an extra pass rusher such as a LB, a safety, or even a corner......if one or more blockers are occupying Young and Sweat then the answer is to send a extra blitzer....the offense can't block everyone in this case.
Of course you're right. Del Rio couldn't even buy a clue on how to call an effective game for his defense. This is part of the reason for the low sack numbers.

As for Rivera, I'm damn sick and tired of his lame excuses for just about every deficiency. He even said that the "process" was more important than wins. To whom? Not the fans or the owner. When did winning fall out of first on the list of priorities?

I was a salesman before I retired. I wish I had known enough then to tell my boss whenever I lost a deal that the process I used was good. He probably would have paid me a commission for having a good process. Isn't that right, Ron?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #24
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter
 
OnceWeWereKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Age: 40
Posts: 1,045
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Of course you're right. Del Rio couldn't even buy a clue on how to call an effective game for his defense. This is part of the reason for the low sack numbers.

As for Rivera, I'm damn sick and tired of his lame excuses for just about every deficiency. He even said that the "process" was more important than wins. To whom? Not the fans or the owner. When did winning fall out of first on the list of priorities?

I was a salesman before I retired. I wish I had known enough then to tell my boss whenever I lost a deal that the process I used was good. He probably would have paid me a commission for having a good process. Isn't that right, Ron?
I distinctly remember when rr was hired....he said one of the reasons he came here was because of the talent and that he didn't think he needed a 5 year plan to get this team to be a contender. We were better....and it was alluded to that it was coaching bringing us down. ...well....this is year 2, and we are wayyyyy worse than we were with the previous regime.
So as you are a career salesman...can we agree that he sold us the dream?
And he did it really well.
Unfortunately....it doesn't come with a warranty.
__________________
To beer, or not to beer? That is the ques.....oh, look...a beer.
OnceWeWereKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #25
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter
 
OnceWeWereKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Age: 40
Posts: 1,045
Re: Chase Young #99

Double post
__________________
To beer, or not to beer? That is the ques.....oh, look...a beer.
OnceWeWereKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20,915
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
I distinctly remember when rr was hired....he said one of the reasons he came here was because of the talent and that he didn't think he needed a 5 year plan to get this team to be a contender. We were better....and it was alluded to that it was coaching bringing us down. ...well....this is year 2, and we are wayyyyy worse than we were with the previous regime.
So as you are a career salesman...can we agree that he sold us the dream?
And he did it really well.
Unfortunately....it doesn't come with a warranty.
I'm pretty sure when he was hired he didn't think he would get cancer or that Dwayne would suck so bad that he'd need to get cut; hell even going into this year no one would have guessed that a durable vet QB would get hurt. And coming in he already was handicapped by having Snyder as an owner.

That being said, I think the fluke playoff trip gave fans too much hope. I also think Ron has made a few head scratching moves that he does not need to make.

I do think he needs an opportunity to get his own QB, either through the draft or trade. I also think that a good QB would have us with a better record now, even with all the things that the team has gone through this season.
__________________
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 96,793
Re: Chase Young #99

As most do when they first come here, Ron clearly underestimated this black hole of a franchise and how long it would take to dig it out.

Making the playoffs at 7-9 definitely gave fans a false sense of hope that we were close. A defense that feasted on mostly backup QB's and bad teams during the stretch run last year had the same effect.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #28
SunnySide
Playmaker
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2,956
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
As most do when they first come here, Ron clearly underestimated this black hole of a franchise and how long it would take to dig it out.

Making the playoffs at 7-9 definitely gave fans a false sense of hope that we were close. A defense that feasted on mostly backup QB's and bad teams during the stretch run last year had the same effect.
I feel like we had good reason to expect big things from this D. It wasnt fan over hype based in fantasy world .. this D had and has some premier pieces plus a ton of resources and capital poured into it.

Obviously the season has played out like it did so we and the entire NFL world was wrong but I dont think our thinking and logic entering this season was flawed.

We werent wrong or being fanboys to expect big things from this D.

Thats what bugs me. Its just odd. The pieces are there, the solutions are in house ... its just not materializing.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #29
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Age: 34
Posts: 31,805
Re: Chase Young #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
As most do when they first come here, Ron clearly underestimated this black hole of a franchise and how long it would take to dig it out.

Making the playoffs at 7-9 definitely gave fans a false sense of hope that we were close. A defense that feasted on mostly backup QB's and bad teams during the stretch run last year had the same effect.
It also didn't help that TH had a magical game and everyone went nuts over him... Thinking he was the next Romo or something.
__________________
“Mediocre people don’t like high achievers, and high achievers don’t like mediocre people.”
― Nick Saban
skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #30
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 96,793
Re: Chase Young #99

Enough clues were there that things weren't quite what they seemed with the defense and the team overall. Look at some of these wins last year.

Week 7: 25-3 over Dallas. Andy Dalton and Ben DiNucci at QB. Dallas was 2-4 at the time. If Dak was healthy, who knows. Probably a much different ball game.

Week 11: 20-9 over the Bengals. Burrow was balling before he got hurt. Finley came in and was terrible. Bengals were 2-6-1 at the time.

Week 12: 41-16 over Dallas. Andy Dalton at QB. Dallas was 3-7 and in a free fall.

Week 13: 23-17 over Pittsburgh. Legit good win IMO. But Pittsburgh seemed due for a loss and hadn't been playing that great coming in. But hey, there were 11-0. Again, legit solid win.

Week 14: 23-15 over the 49ers. Nick Mullens at QB, enough said. SF was 5-7 coming in.

Week 17: 20-14 over the Eagles. We know the story here, Hurts gets pulled inexplicably, Sudfeld comes in and is terrible. Philly was a bad team, 4-10-1 coming in.

I think it's safe to say that if Dak played in both of those games, we probably lose at least one of them. If Burrow doesn't get hurt, we perhaps lose to the Bengals. And if Hurts plays that whole game, we again could have easily dropped that one too. Not crazy to think we were close to being 4-12 and completely different expectations for this year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL. But our culture is damn good!
Page generated in 0.23693 seconds with 10 queries