Old 09-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #121
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Punch's Post-Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
You know, we could still win this division. Fuck the cowboys
We are still in 1st-place!

No way we should lose to the Vagiants. We proved we can beat the Eagles. They could not even manage a FG in OT against the Bengals yesterday, so they're still winless. Dallas is the most overrated team in the NFL.

We do have a shot.

I also, like most of you, HATE the way Coach Ron is ending games...but for now, I'm going to keep trusting that he has a long-term plan and won't yet freak out about short-term losses, There's a LOT of cleaning up to do on this team and he's doing it his way. It does feel like he's taking this first month of the season as the evaluation period he was cheated out of with no preseason. Anyone who can't play will go.

Advertisements
Old 09-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #122
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

After watching the all 22, a part from a few missed tackles (which are going to happen against Chubb and Hunt), I had this feeling that despite allowing 34 points to the Browns, our defense had a really good game... So I went back looked at the Browns offensive drives :

6 plays, 33 yards, Punt
6p 20y, P
13p, 42y, FG
3p, 28y, TD
3p, 8y, P
3p, 24y, TD
3p, 9y, P
3p, -8y, P
11p, 75y, TD
3p, 35y, TD
10p, 34y, FG

3 TD on 35 yards or less drives.

Our D allowed one legit drive all game.
Sure you wish they could have come up with one more stop after a turnover (only 1 on 4), but they had a good game, they did more than enough to give us a chance in a game we had 4 (5) more turnovers than our opponent.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #123
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Some of you may remember when I made a fool of myself by saying I didn't see what you guys were seing in Tim Settle during the 2018 pre-season when we drafted him ?

I had already said I was wrong and thanked those who helped me understand why, but here's a good occasion to make amend:

Cooley gave him an A-, best grade on the DL, in this week's Filmbreakdown and I did remember seeing #97 flash from time to time.

So I went back and found some play I thought were really good, if you guys have some more intel on that, I'm all ears ! (well eyes, but...)

1) Beats his guy and makes the tackle with a lineman on his back :

2) Payne makes the tackle after beating a lame ass cut block, but notice how #97 helps by driving his guy and leaving the RB no place to go but #94's big arms ? Again, grabs his ankles with a guy on his back:

3) There #97 anchors down and eats up a double team, Payne does too, both guys doing their jobs allow Bostic and Curl to get in on the tackle:

4) Playing sound gap responsibility, drives the blocker back, bounces the RB outside,
Collins awaits and makes a solid tackle, #97 splits the double block and gets in there too:

5) There he drives his guy so badly the OL has to commit an egregious hold to avoid the TFL, 10 yards for the team:
Old 09-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #124
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Payne has been very good. In fact he’s probably better than Allen
Old 10-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #125
SunnySide
Playmaker

French — nice posts thank you
Old 10-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #126
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

How did I miss this? Awesome breakdown. Settle is a baller, JDR specifically mentioned him yesterday. Settle, Payne and Allen could be the best run stuffing 3 man combo in the league.

Baltimore could suffer the consequences

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #127
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I’ve been saying Settle and Payne are a couple rhinos. I’ve seen Settle manhandle OLinemen, he might be the strongest DL on the team and I would not want to lose him and should resigned at some point.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #128
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I’ve been saying Settle and Payne are a couple rhinos. I’ve seen Settle manhandle OLinemen, he might be the strongest DL on the team and I would not want to lose him and should resigned at some point.
This week go Allen and Sweat DE, Payne and Settle at DT in most packages. Mix in RK passing downs RA passing down. RK can’t play the run anymore, he sux at it

He Gets Us
Old 10-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #129
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
French — nice posts thank you
Thanks, the number one thing I like on this board is learning about the game reading some posts.
So I figured I owed everybody (and Tim Settle ^^) making amend for being wrong (and learning because of being wrong).
Old 10-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #130
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
This week go Allen and Sweat DE, Payne and Settle at DT in most packages. Mix in RK passing downs RA passing down. RK can’t play the run anymore, he sux at it
Good call.

Also, they played some snaps in 5-2 packages last week, in "running downs" IIRC, good way to get Allen-Payne-Settle + Sweat&RK(or Anderson) on the field at the same time.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #131
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Good call.

Also, they played some snaps in 5-2 packages last week, in "running downs" IIRC, good way to get Allen-Payne-Settle + Sweat&RK(or Anderson) on the field at the same time.
Yes I noticed the down 5 lineman as well.

Another thing I noticed ... we aren’t asking Sweat, chase or Kerrigan to drop back into coverage like years past. I’m sure on some instances with a pre snap shift they will have to but I haven’t seen it like years past. I think KPL helps in that regard.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #132
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yup, it’s like it. Why not put your best talent on the field? Our lb outside of kpl and bostic ain’t shit

He Gets Us
Old 10-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #133
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Yup, it’s like it. Why not put your best talent on the field? Our lb outside of kpl and bostic ain’t shit
Yap. Hope Holcomb comes back fast cause SDH isn't good.
And listening to Cooley I realized something: remember that slow ass #58 that played some snaps last week ? Watching live I thought that was a late practice squad brought up nobody... Yeah? That was Thomas Davis ladies and gentlemen... talk about another great FA signing...
Old 10-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #134
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Yap. Hope Holcomb comes back fast cause SDH isn't good.
And listening to Cooley I realized something: remember that slow ass #58 that played some snaps last week ? Watching live I thought that was a late practice squad brought up nobody... Yeah? That was Thomas Davis ladies and gentlemen... talk about another great FA signing...
The only reason I can think of is his leadership, Davis looked like he was stuck on quick sand.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #135
Warthog
The Starter

When this season started, Rivera gave everyone the strategic plan of a rebuilding year. He let several players leave, who wanted to go, including Trent Williams. After years of Bruce Allen’s “winning year is just around the corner”, it was a nice change. The team was quiet in Free Agency and completely IGNORED chances to get legitimate TE, WR or OL players in FA. Okay, because the team has the third or fourth in cap money for next year.

Haskins was a project player and I understand Rivera and the coaches seeing Dwayne cut back on his film study and time at the practice facility. If true, that must have infuriated them, with Alex Smith outplaying Haskins in training camp and also spending much more time in the practice facility than Dwayne. Haskin’s FUNDAMENTALS were awful, with bad foot work even on plays with no rush. He needs at least a full offseason to fix those bad footwork habits.

So, it is kind of amazing that suddenly Rivera wants to “WIN NOW”. Did he forget about all the FA he passed up at TE, WR and the OL?? Our OL gave up 8 sacks today!

It was really depressing to see Kyle O’Connell pummel our defense. Meanwhile, Scott Turner’s offensive plan was weak. If you keep running the same plays the defense will make your players pay. The Rams had some spectacular defensive plays because they knew the short passes were coming. Finally, when we were down three scores, Turner tried a long passing play. It’s kind of basic, but if you stretch the field occasionally, they can’t crush your short game. O’Connell is running a varied offense that kept the WFT off balance all day. Turner’s short game program was predictable and amateurish.

Watching the Cowboys and the Giants play, I don’t think either of these teams are going to be an easy victory. Both of their offense’s can put up points. Can our offense do so? The other team’s defense simply puts eight in the box and double-teams McLaurin. We’re stuffed.

In the end, by changing the teams strategic plan for this year, I think it will spell failure. We may win one more victory than if they had stayed the course. We’re NOT going to win 7 games this season. I think we’ll be lucky to get 5 wins. All the holes they ignored in the draft and in FA are the Achilles heal of this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote