Redskins OTAs

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #31
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Redskins OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I'm not trying to make excuses for him but those catches are harder to do when you only get 1 target a quarter.

He needs to earn a bigger role in our game plan or GTFO.
It's been long enough.
You made a good point about KC not taking shots during the week at practice, I remember that segment on C&K, and it definitely has to be a factor, especially for a "rookie"... but still, he's a pro, he should be able to make the most of his opportunities.

Again, I hope he finally does!

Advertisements
Old 05-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #32
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He’s definitely got the skills to be a #1, he just needs to prove it now
I don't think he has the skills to be a 1. To me he plays too soft, doesn't seem to play witb any intensity. He's really good at jump balls but that's about it. If it's 3rd and 7 and we need a go to guy to make a tough catch it ain't Doc. That guy was Garcon.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #33
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
It sure is, in his case. Like the way smaller DB's easily jam his routes at the LOS. He might get better at route running and he might get physically stronger but will he ever be tough enough to become a legitimate NFL starter?

I thought he was the best WR in the draft when he came out of college. Now I think he might not not make it in this league.
Doc is soft IMO. Grant made tougher catches if you ask me.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #34
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I can't help to think that maybe some of Kirk's game, especially last year, was all about padding the numbers, less about helping these guys get developed. When Favre was playing, the dude went after it. If it got picked, it got picked, but he wasn't afraid to break in a new receiver.
So you think Smith is going to be a gunslinger? He might be more conservative that Cousins was.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #35
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So you think Smith is going to be a gunslinger? He might be more conservative that Cousins was.
He might be a gunslinger.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #36
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Matt Ioannidis was 5th in the NFL on Pass rush pressures for a DT,

I think we have forgotten about him in the mix as well.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #37
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Matt Ioannidis was 5th in the NFL on Pass rush pressures for a DT,

I think we have forgotten about him in the mix as well.

He could be in for a breakout season
Old 05-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #38
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Doc is coming into his third year. WR is one of the toughest positions to transition from college to pro. Sure, a handful of WR's are day 1 ready. Most take a couple years to develop.

I am not ready to pass judgment on Doc yet. After this year, if he fails to produce, fine, I will not object when folks say he is soft or not a No. 1. He made some hard catches and did not shy away from contact as far as I could tell. I don't know if KC wasn't comfortable with him or if Doctson really just wasn't doing his job. Let's see if Smith / Richardson make a difference.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #39
JoeRedskin

So, youtube had a couple videos of all of Doctson's targets in the Denver and Saints game.

In the Saints' game, he had 4 catches on 7 targets. Of the three non-catches, he got his hands on one but couldn't pull it in, the other two were on Cousins.

In the Denver game he had 2 catches on 13 targets. Of the non-catches, the vast majority (at least 6) were just bad throws by KC. Three were ones he should have caught with one being a very tough but makeable catch.

Nothing in the videos, however, show a "soft" receiver. He ran over the middle without hesitation and consistently contested balls in the air (in one, he almost turned a certain interception in the end zone into a TD). When close, and whether he caught it or not, he would lay out and take the pounding in the attempt. In addition, on several of KC's misses, Doc was open and KC just either underthrew or overthrew him (in one Doc had beaten double coverage deep and KC just threw it behind him, two yards in front and it's a TD).

It was only two games but I didn't see anything in them that would cause me to believe he is lacking the skills or the will needed to be a No. 1 WR in the league.

At this point, I expect a big leap from last year. He had a full year of being healthy after missing all but two games his rookie year. In addition, I am admittedly buying into the company line that KC really didn't take many chances downfield with him (although he did force the ball into a couple double coverages in an attempt to give Doc a chance, I think he was about 50/50 on those).

All this is to say that, if I was to bet on it, I'd bet we see very significant improvement in his numbers this year.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #40
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
So, youtube had a couple videos of all of Doctson's targets in the Denver and Saints game.

In the Saints' game, he had 4 catches on 7 targets. Of the three non-catches, he got his hands on one but couldn't pull it in, the other two were on Cousins.

In the Denver game he had 2 catches on 13 targets. Of the non-catches, the vast majority (at least 6) were just bad throws by KC. Three were ones he should have caught with one being a very tough but makeable catch.

Nothing in the videos, however, show a "soft" receiver. He ran over the middle without hesitation and consistently contested balls in the air (in one, he almost turned a certain interception in the end zone into a TD). When close, and whether he caught it or not, he would lay out and take the pounding in the attempt. In addition, on several of KC's misses, Doc was open and KC just either underthrew or overthrew him (in one Doc had beaten double coverage deep and KC just threw it behind him, two yards in front and it's a TD).

It was only two games but I didn't see anything in them that would cause me to believe he is lacking the skills or the will needed to be a No. 1 WR in the league.

At this point, I expect a big leap from last year. He had a full year of being healthy after missing all but two games his rookie year. In addition, I am admittedly buying into the company line that KC really didn't take many chances downfield with him (although he did force the ball into a couple double coverages in an attempt to give Doc a chance, I think he was about 50/50 on those).

All this is to say that, if I was to bet on it, I'd bet we see very significant improvement in his numbers this year.
I am thinking 77 catches 1,081 yards and 9 TDs

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #41
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

I am not as hopeful as you are, but I sure hope you're right! Potential is there.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #42
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Doc is coming into his third year. WR is one of the toughest positions to transition from college to pro. Sure, a handful of WR's are day 1 ready. Most take a couple years to develop.

I am not ready to pass judgment on Doc yet. After this year, if he fails to produce, fine, I will not object when folks say he is soft or not a No. 1. He made some hard catches and did not shy away from contact as far as I could tell. I don't know if KC wasn't comfortable with him or if Doctson really just wasn't doing his job. Let's see if Smith / Richardson make a difference.
I heard Cooley go over this a few weeks ago. He was doing it from the point of view of which positions to draft versus which positions to sign in FA.

He was making the categorization based purely on how quickly players at the position transition from college to the NFL.

He lumped WR squarely as a position that takes longer to develop.

Hope springs eternal.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #43
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He could be in for a breakout season
It's keeping these guys on the field, I saw Allen saying that is his biggest goal. Kinda scares me that he has that thinking already.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #44
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

One thing is clear with Doctson, if we can start the season with P. Rich, Reed and Crowder all healthy ready to go his opportunity will be at its greatest potential since he's been here.

With P Rich's speed and Reed's ability as top 5 pass catching TE...these 2 will demand the most attention from the D coordinator's passing defense. Throw in Crowder a nuisance type receiver who has proven to be a playmaker and match up problem working underneath....he will probably demand some attention especially when it comes to formation match ups.

Doctson will probably be left alone on the 2nd corner without safety help...certainly an opportunity here.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #45
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
One thing is clear with Doctson, if we can start the season with P. Rich, Reed and Crowder all healthy ready to go his opportunity will be at its greatest potential since he's been here.

With P Rich's speed and Reed's ability as top 5 pass catching TE...these 2 will demand the most attention from the D coordinator's passing defense. Throw in Crowder a nuisance type receiver who has proven to be a playmaker and match up problem working underneath....he will probably demand some attention especially when it comes to formation match ups.

Doctson will probably be left alone on the 2nd corner without safety help...certainly an opportunity here.
I mean, throw in Chris Thompson and that just becomes a nightmare scenario for coordinators.