Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Real Classic Rock Music Back In Mainstream?

Parking Lot

Old 04-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #16
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Real Classic Rock Music Back In Mainstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Being the old shit I am ,I pick and chose. A Stones fan early in their careers but not much after 1980 ,same with LZ like the early stuff. To me "old time R&R that is a consistent producer of things over time is the Who put there so much good stuff from when I was growing up in the late 60's,70's and yes I believe Springsteen, Bob Seeger ,Billy Joel and Tom Petty(RIP) has carried it on as well as some others.
While I do love Led Zeppelin, honestly, the bulk of 70's rock that I really enjoyed was Kansas, Boston, Queen, Styx, and Pink Floyd. Loved progressive rock. Loved Journey. Loved a lot of the 80's metal bands, but really started getting tired of some of the hairbands that came in toward the tail end of that era. Huge Billy Joel fan.

So, out of all of that, most of that stuff has deep roots in rock and roll. With music, today, being mostly electronic, it loses a lot of feeling with me. Loses the connection. I respect rap and hip hop artists, but that's just not my thing. Guitar driven rock has just been the music I migrate back to, time and time again.

So, with Greta Van Fleet, I guess whether if one is on the side of them being straight up copycats of Led Zeppelin and not original at all, or on the side of them bringing good 70's classic rock back to the mainstream even though their sound has been done before, the idea that a group of young dudes like them bringing classic sounding rock back into the mainstream can only be good for those of us who like classic rock. I mean, if top 40 radio is occupied by a band that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin, a band that sounds exactly like Styx, Foreigner, or Journey, or an artist that sounds exactly like Billy Joel, is that really a bad thing? I don't think so. But, again, that's personal taste.

Advertisements
Old 04-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #17
Giantone
Gamebreaker

some great guitar work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOKeU1dv7I
Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I would have killed to be at this show!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GirPp-OVQcU
Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Chico's Top Ten Classic Rock Style Albums

Im gonna leave out the Beatles(Psych-Pop-way to ahead of time), any punk reference (Velvet Und), and progressive (King Crimson)

1. Led Zep - Physical Graffiti (the arrangements on this album still give me goosebumps when listening)
2. Allman Bros - Live at the Fillmore East (greatest live album all time. the definition of masterful instrument musicianship)
3. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (or either Bringing it all back home) Dylan is folk, but these albums actually rock fairly hard.
4. Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
5. Neil Young - Harvest
6. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (you can go with any of their first four albums- this is my favorite)
7. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (I could replace this with Meddle, but go with the classic)
8. AC/DC - Highway to Hell (From my childhood, and this album still is fresh...if someone asked me what does Rock'N'Roll sound like? I hand them this first.)
9. Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
10. The Who - Quadrophenia (Never a Who fan, but this album is simply amazing. Keith Moon style drumming on this is unlike anything I ever heard.)

albums which I love don't place on here Beatles White Album/Abbey Road...T Rex- Electric Warrior, King Crimson - Red, Hendrix - Axis and Live at Fillmore East, Led Zep Houses of Holy, Dylan- Blond on Blond, The Band, Neil Young - Zuma, ZZ Top- Tres Hombres...

Last edited by Chico23231; 04-26-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #20
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Chico's Top Ten Classic Rock Style Albums

Im gonna leave out the Beatles(Psych-Pop-way to ahead of time), any punk reference (Velvet Und), and progressive (King Crimson)

1. Led Zep - Physical Graffiti (the arrangements on this album still give me goosebumps when listening)
2. Allman Bros - Live at the Fillmore East (greatest live album all time. the definition of masterful instrument musicianship)
3. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (or either Bringing it all back home) Dylan is folk, but these albums actually rock fairly hard.
4. Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
5. Neil Young - Harvest
6. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (you can go with any of their first four albums- this is my favorite)
7. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (I could replace this with Meddle, but go with the classic)
8. AC/DC - Highway to Hell (From my childhood, and this album still is fresh...if someone asked me what does Rock'N'Roll sound like? I hand them this first.)
9. Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
10. The Who - Quadrophenia (Never a Who fan, but this album is simply amazing. Keith Moon style drumming on this is unlike any thing every heard.)

albums which I love don't place on here Beatles White Album/Abbey Road...T Rex- Electric Warrior, King Crimson - Red, Hendrix - Axis and Live at Fillmore East, Led Zep Houses of Holy, Dylan- Blond on Blond, The Band, Neil Young - Zuma...
Yeah, I will say, I have just never been able to get into the Beatles. A song here and there that I like, but nothing where I want to jump in the car and crank up.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #21
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Very happy this thread came up,I'm 57 and sick to death of listening to the same classic rock on the radio.I discovered Greta Van Fleet at least 6 months ago,they need to get a new album out already.
So back to what I was saying about listening to same old crap.This week I remembered Eddie Trunk saying something about a band called Monster Truck a few months ago.So I started listening to their Pandora channel this week and its opened my world to a whole bunch of bands I've never heard of that play good old rock n roll.I've liked most of what I've heard from Monster Truck,Taddy Porter,Black Stone Cherry and quite a few others.I've heard of Joe Bonamassa but I've never listened to him,turns out I really like him also,the Monster Truck channel mixes in his tunes also.I've listened to that channel for about 4 hours now and I am loving it.While I've been listening it's played some bands I do know like Zep,ZZ Top,and Greta Van Fleet.Heres one from Black Stone Cherry I like
Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #22
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Very happy this thread came up,I'm 57 and sick to death of listening to the same classic rock on the radio.I discovered Greta Van Fleet at least 6 months ago,they need to get a new album out already.
So back to what I was saying about listening to same old crap.This week I remembered Eddie Trunk saying something about a band called Monster Truck a few months ago.So I started listening to their Pandora channel this week and its opened my world to a whole bunch of bands I've never heard of that play good old rock n roll.I've liked most of what I've heard from Monster Truck,Taddy Porter,Black Stone Cherry and quite a few others.I've heard of Joe Bonamassa but I've never listened to him,turns out I really like him also,the Monster Truck channel mixes in his tunes also.I've listened to that channel for about 4 hours now and I am loving it.While I've been listening it's played some bands I do know like Zep,ZZ Top,and Greta Van Fleet.Heres one from Black Stone Cherry I like

Just seems like to me that top 40 music, for me, finally migrated completely away from anything I would ever like to listen to. I had a "today's music" playlist of songs that I liked - not necessarily stuff you'd hear me listening to on a regular basis, but a playlist of stuff that was modern and that WAS being played on the radio. I suppose you could say a playlist that would make me appear somewhat hip to what's popular today. I happened to notice that this playlist is over 6 years old now, lol! I don't hear any of these songs played on the radio. None of them, lol! If I watch a music video of one of these songs, I read in the comments section, "Wow, this is a trip back in memory lane! What nostalgia!" I'm like, "but, but, but, this stuff just came out!" LOL! I can't even stomach what's on radio right now. Used to be that I could take listening to the radio all day and sitting through a handful of crappy songs, because I knew at any minute, you were going to hear a rockin', adrenaline pumping song to get you all excited. For example, back in the 80's, you'll sit through some pop songs and then, Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone" would come on, getting you all pumped (because Top Gun is still one of my all time favorite movies!) I don't even know what music on the radio right now would even come close to being "adrenaline pumping".
Old 04-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #23
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
Just seems like to me that top 40 music, for me, finally migrated completely away from anything I would ever like to listen to. I had a "today's music" playlist of songs that I liked - not necessarily stuff you'd hear me listening to on a regular basis, but a playlist of stuff that was modern and that WAS being played on the radio. I suppose you could say a playlist that would make me appear somewhat hip to what's popular today. I happened to notice that this playlist is over 6 years old now, lol! I don't hear any of these songs played on the radio. None of them, lol! If I watch a music video of one of these songs, I read in the comments section, "Wow, this is a trip back in memory lane! What nostalgia!" I'm like, "but, but, but, this stuff just came out!" LOL! I can't even stomach what's on radio right now. Used to be that I could take listening to the radio all day and sitting through a handful of crappy songs, because I knew at any minute, you were going to hear a rockin', adrenaline pumping song to get you all excited. For example, back in the 80's, you'll sit through some pop songs and then, Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone" would come on, getting you all pumped (because Top Gun is still one of my all time favorite movies!) I don't even know what music on the radio right now would even come close to being "adrenaline pumping".
I dont know what rock stations they have in your market,but for a big city Houston sucks!
We have a classic rock station{that just plays the same shit over and over again}and alternative rock[Dave MAtthews,Beck,Etc}
Old 04-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #24
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I dont know what rock stations they have in your market,but for a big city Houston sucks!
We have a classic rock station{that just plays the same shit over and over again}and alternative rock[Dave MAtthews,Beck,Etc}
Pretty much like us. We have an alternative rock station that is really more or less, a classic rock station that will play Nirvana or Queens of the Stone Age every once in awhile.

I would love a station where the DJ has full control over what is played. If he/she has it, it gets played. And requests are welcomed! You know, how rock stations USED to be. I remember calling up the local rock station and requesting songs all the time. It would take them awhile, but eventually, they would get the song on the radio, and it was always fun to listen to my favorite stuff. Last time I tried to request a song, they basically said if it's not in their playlist, they can't play it, but to get in touch with the main company and request it from them.

I'm really surprised radio hasn't died out completely.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #25
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Pretty much like us. We have an alternative rock station that is really more or less, a classic rock station that will play Nirvana or Queens of the Stone Age every once in awhile.

I would love a station where the DJ has full control over what is played. If he/she has it, it gets played. And requests are welcomed! You know, how rock stations USED to be. I remember calling up the local rock station and requesting songs all the time. It would take them awhile, but eventually, they would get the song on the radio, and it was always fun to listen to my favorite stuff. Last time I tried to request a song, they basically said if it's not in their playlist, they can't play it, but to get in touch with the main company and request it from them.

I'm really surprised radio hasn't died out completely.
Couldnt agree more.Now that Clear Channel and Cox radio have bought out I think every station in Houston{and probably across the country}radio sucks!
There used to be a great rock radio station in town,mixed old rock and new rock,gave great stuff away with their contest.Now if you try to win anything on the radio you're calling a 1-800 number or texting some number and you're competing against everyone in your city and a bunch of other cities,it's bullshit.
Heres another band I just found out about

Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #26
metalskins
The Starter

Here's a solid hard rock band everyone should check out. The band is called W.E.T. It's got members from Work Of Art (another cool AOR band to check out), Eclipse, and Talisman. Hence, the name, W.E.T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8FhXKTSSfA
Old 05-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #27
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Here's a solid hard rock band everyone should check out. The band is called W.E.T. It's got members from Work Of Art (another cool AOR band to check out), Eclipse, and Talisman. Hence, the name, W.E.T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8FhXKTSSfA
Good riffs good vocals but I didnt like it that much,too popish sounding to me but that's just me,music is so subjective to each individual