Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #796
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Re: 2011 NFL Draft: Rounds 4-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE View Post
CBS Sportsline.com showing us some love:

Washington Redskins Draft Grade: A

Historically known for aggressively trading up in the draft, the Redskins took the opposite strategy in 2011, deftly moving down the board, picking up more selections and still addressing keys area of need. Having run a 3-4 defense for the past few seasons despite fielding a team largely built on 4-3 personnel, the Redskins added a prototypical edge-rusher in Ryan Kerrigan to pair with Brian Orakpo. While many characterized the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year as strictly a 4-3 defensive end, Kerrigan actually projects better as an OLB as he doesn't use his hands particularly well, but has burst, agility and great instincts. The Redskins added a classic five-technique defensive end in Clemson's Jarvis Jenkins in the second round and addressed their need for receivers with size in Miami's Leonard Hankerson and Nebraska's Niles Paul in the third and fifth rounds. No head coach has enjoyed as much success with late-round running backs as Mike Shanahan, and he could have worked his magic again with Roy Helu (Nebraska) and Penn State's Evan Royster in the fourth and sixth rounds. Helu, in particular, is an ideal fit in a zone-scheme, as he can plant his foot and accelerate downhill explosively. In terms of adding multiple players who fit their scheme and will improve the overall talent of their club, no team was more effective this year than the Redskins.
Finally some love.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #797
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE
Special Teams

Ok, Im O-Ding on highlight reels again. I retract my previous statements regarding Roy Helu. Dude is a beast, definitely faster then I gave him credit for. I just really wanted Ryan Williams. Now that Ive had a chance to relax, definitely loving the Helu pick up.
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #798
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

^ told u, Helu is not a great RB but he's a damn good pick that late
Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #799
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Historically known for aggressively trading up in the draft, the Redskins took the opposite strategy in 2011, deftly moving down the board, picking up more selections and still addressing keys area of need. Having run a 3-4 defense for the past few seasons despite fielding a team largely built on 4-3 personnel, the Redskins added a prototypical edge-rusher in Ryan Kerrigan to pair with Brian Orakpo. While many characterized the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year as strictly a 4-3 defensive end, Kerrigan actually projects better as an OLB as he doesn't use his hands particularly well, but has burst, agility and great instincts. The Redskins added a classic five-technique defensive end in Clemson's Jarvis Jenkins in the second round and addressed their need for receivers with size in Miami's Leonard Hankerson and Nebraska's Niles Paul in the third and fifth rounds. No head coach has enjoyed as much success with late-round running backs as Mike Shanahan, and he could have worked his magic again with Roy Helu (Nebraska) and Penn State's Evan Royster in the fourth and sixth rounds. Helu, in particular, is an ideal fit in a zone-scheme, as he can plant his foot and accelerate downhill explosively. In terms of adding multiple players who fit their scheme and will improve the overall talent of their club, no team was more effective this year than the Redskins.
This is how I came away feeling about the draft. Although, I wish locker would have been there at #10....it may work out better for our future that we traded down and were able to get the ammo to manuever.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #800
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
^ told u, Helu is not a great RB but he's a damn good pick that late

Yeah man, when he lengthens that stride out, he's really fast.

HELLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TOOOOO THE REDSKINNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! HELLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUU VICTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #801
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Helu could be the next Terrell Davis. You heard it here first!!!!!!!!!!!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #802
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

HELU!!!!!!!!!! GOOD-BYE!!!!!!!! Touchdown Redskins!!!!

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #803
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Helu could be the next Terrell Davis. You heard it here first!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been reported that was an actual comment Shanahan made in reference to Royster.

Helu and Royster possess good speed, quickness and cutting ability, which is expected to suit Washington’s zone-blocking running scheme well.

[Quote] “Coach Shanahan, he said to me when they drafted me that I remind him of Terrell Davis,” Royster said. “And that’s who I want to be.” [Unquote]

NFL draft 2011: Redskins add nine more draft picks for a total of 12 - The Washington Post
Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #804
diehard
The Starter

I want to be optimistic but, why will these guys crack the lineup and contribute significantly when guys drafted last year couldn't do it?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #805
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Oh God have mercy on Carolina if they end up with the first overall pick next year. Still I think it'll either be Buffalo or Cincinnati.
Does Carolina even have the money to guarantee 100+ milllion total over 4 or more years to Luck and Newton?

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #806
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Does Carolina even have the money to guarantee 100+ milllion total over 4 or more years to Luck and Newton?
They'd probably eat the signing bonus and deal Newton for a second or a third rounder.

Then fire their front office.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #807
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
I want to be optimistic but, why will these guys crack the lineup and contribute significantly when guys drafted last year couldn't do it?
Considering that most 4th and lower rounders aren't expected to be starters, it's not that bad. We only had one high round pick, and he(Trent) had a good rookie season. This year, we can at least hope our top 3 picks will be studs for us.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #808
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think Cleveland and Detroit both had very good drafts
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #809
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
I liked the draft overall with the exception of addressing the offensive line, particularly finding a replacement for Rabach.
This wasnt a particularly strong draft for Oline outside a couple tackles, couple guards/center. SS has said we got a couple guys targeted all ready in free agency.

My only disappointment with this draft was no NT choice. This draft offered a variety of options with the NT position and we walk away with no choices. Every different type of sizes, styles, etc. and we got zero. Kemo is done. I like keeping Bryant under contract and in the rotation, but we desperately need someone in there to help. Hopefully free agency can yeild us someone.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #810
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-re...kiper-redskins

Mel Kiper gave us C draft grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote