Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post draft breakdown

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What is your way too early draft grade for the '21 WFT class?
A 14 23.33%
B 32 53.33%
C 8 13.33%
D 5 8.33%
F 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #31
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Post draft breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I have us a 'B' only because there were a couple of players we missed on that I would have liked to get when available like JOK, CB Elijah Molden, TE Tommy Trembel, LB Jabril Cox and WR Jaelon Darden who all slid further than they should have...but I am happy that Rivera had a plan and stuck to it. He watched the tape, so I trust him.

Well, you can't complain with the approach, we filled nearly every need. LB and LT were the most urgent positions and they were filled with potential stars in the league.

LB - Biggest need, potentially GREAT player picked
LT - Starter-quality player. The position is finally fixed post-Trent Williams.
CB - We have 2 solid starters already but lacked depth and a impact slot CB. Got one.
WR - Steal of our draft, made a good WR group one of the deeper in the NFL
TE - Big need for a backup TE. We took a solid, athletic blocking TE that will have a role.
S - Solid depth pick.
LS - We needed one and got one of the best available who could be here 15 years like Sundberg, Better to draft a talented one than look for a re-tread FA.
DE -If Kerrigan's not coming back, we need depth. Took two with good potential.
WR - Let's see what this last pick can do on special teams, we still need an improvement in the return game over Sims, Jr. who won't be making this team with all of the WR depth we have.
Agree overall with your post.

Just to nitpick, I really don't get the thing with JOK. We needed a real do it all/stuff the run LB, we got an athletic stud that can do that, and (not saying you, but you mentioned him) we're gonna complain about not drafting a small hybrid LB that wasn't selected by anybody until late in the 2nd ? Don't get it.

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #32
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Mark Bullock's breakdowns contain really interesting coach film versions of college plays:

Jamin Davis

Samuel Cosmi

I think Cosmi can start. Contrary to Saahdiq Charles his hand technique is really good ! He needs to clean up his footwork and add a real kickslide, but he seems way more NFL ready to me.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #33
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
I gave it an A. For one, no one knows how these picks will turn out until year two or three.

Loved every pick except the St Juste pick, and that’s ONLY because I thought there were better CB’s available.

Brown was my favorite pick, and immediately upgraded our WR group.

We needed a consistent LS, it’s an important position that can directly impact a game. Props to the FO replacing Sundberg.

The fact that Synder is not meddling in the draft room deserves an A alone. This is Rivera’s team and he has full control.

Yeah the last couple drafts have zero stench of Snyder.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #34
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Agree overall with your post.

Just to nitpick, I really don't get the thing with JOK. We needed a real do it all/stuff the run LB, we got an athletic stud that can do that, and (not saying you, but you mentioned him) we're gonna complain about not drafting a small hybrid LB that wasn't selected by anybody until late in the 2nd ? Don't get it.
Yeah, can we put the JOK thing to rest already. He wasn't high (1st round talent) on a lot of boards obviously, including WFTs. He was the 23rd defensive player picked. Davis is a better fit, and will likely be an absolute beast behind this defensive front. Not sure what there is to complain about there.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:16 PM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I don't see it mentioned, apparently the Skins wanted to get the extra picks under the rookie draft cap or some sort of salary cap vs putting out alot of spending on the undrafted pool. Also why we only have one undrafted FA right now. Not sure how the numbers really work on that, but that was the explanation given by Rivera. Saw this in a Finlay tweet.
Quote:
Interesting nugget from Rivera - Washington made late round trade to acquire more picks so they could avoid having to pay more $$ for undrafted rookie free agents. WFT has only signed 1 UDFA thus far, and the team is bringing in more free agents this week, not just rookies
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #36
HTTR
Special Teams

I give our draft an 8.647. It would have been an 8.739 if Cosmi’s arms were an inch longer. It would have been an 8.525 if we hadn’t taken Camembert Cheeseman. There will be a trick play installed just to show off his draft status and get him name-checked.

Overall, strong picks: good athletes, team players, fast, and versatile. Our WR draft curse is over.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:23 PM   #37
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't see it mentioned, apparently the Skins wanted to get the extra picks under the rookie draft cap or some sort of salary cap vs putting out alot of spending on the undrafted pool. Also why we only have one undrafted FA right now. Not sure how the numbers really work on that, but that was the explanation given by Rivera. Saw this in a Finlay tweet.

I don't think I've ever heard of that strategy, but it makes some sense if the UDFA targets you have in mind aren't graded much differently than anyone left in the last round.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:40 AM   #38
nonniey
The Starter

I gave them a C. Not that I disliked the players taken (I always seemed to draft Davis in my mocks) I just thought they were too conservative and averse to taking a risk when given an opportunity. I think we could have traded with the Vikes (who stated they tried to move up 4-5 picks) and picked up some draft capitol and likely have had Davis at pick 23. and I didn't like the trade up for Cheeseman especially given the assessments that the 2022 draft will be stronger.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #39
Scalper

Final Draft Grade

2021 Draft Grade - B-

You can't realistically grade a draft until 2-3 years later.
But grading sooner is of course a past time.
So let's have at it.

THE NO-FELON TEAM, WOOHOO!
First, the good. We didn't draft a single bunghole character risk or criminal. Culture is everything. RR understands that. What is the point of shipping off every felon, douche, and malcontent last year, and then drafting more? Every pick we have can be expected to bust their ass and not pull a Guice or Dunbar. Give FO TONS of credit for understanding the absolute importance of character, work ethic, absence of criminality, and love of the game, and people that will enhance a culture rather than undermine it. Albert Haynesworths need not apply. This is all RR. Contrast that will Dallas who had another all-criminal draft (the all not fair but sounds better, LOL). Jerruh still hasn't learned this lesson. You don't win drafting selfish a-holes and criminals. Our FO deserves immense credit for understanding this.

ELITE ATHLETES OR PHYSICAL FREAKS WITH HIGH PICKS
Second, the better. Our first 4 picks are all either physical freaks or elite athletes with massive upside. Davis a great athlete. Cosmi has phenomenal movement skills in space. St-Juste at 6'3" is a bit of Dunbar 2.0, minus the douchery and thuggery. Brown is a burner. If coaches do their jobs and develop players, the upside of these picks is tremendous. We could and should bust the FOs balls for drafting far too much for need, but with three ex-GMs advising RR, you would expect some general level of competence in not making absolute head-scratcher picks with our higher draft picks, and we saw it. Will JOK prove to have been a smarter pick than Cosmi? No one can say for sure right now. Would the offensive player we passed who was rated higher than Davis on our board have been a better pick? No one can say for sure now. And so forth. But at least we aren't looking at absolutely outlandish and horrible picks like the FO of old, at least high up in draft. You might think this draft was an A or C+, but no one is saying it is a D or F. Considering the way this franchise has been run under Snyder, this is a HUGE evolution.

DUNCERY AT QB
Third, the horrible. We did nothing a QB. This is inexcusable and you cannot grade the draft anything above a B because of this fact. The Packers had Aaron freaking Rodgers and still drafted Love 26th overall last year. The Rams had Geoff, who is awful but better than any QB on our roster except maybe Heinecke, and still traded for Stafford. The Niners had Garrop, who is better than any QB on our roster except maybe Heinecke, and still traded up for Lance, who I liked much better than Fields or Jones, though Lance much more of a long term project and riskier. The Bears have Nick Foles, a SB winning QB, and Andy Dalton, a solid game manager, but still drafted Fields. Etcetera. The Texans have Deshean "Shiatsu" Watson but still drafted Mills.
EVERY team in the entire NFL without a solid long-term answer at QB or questions with franchise QB (Texans) did something to try and find a long-term solution. Except one team, us.

You can understand some of the arguments, which make sense. We shouldn't have traded the farm to move up. We maybe shouldn't have drafted a QB with one of first 4 picks in the higher rounds. There is wisdom to continuing to build a solid roster and adding a QB smartly, waiting until some year when a better QB drops, as happened to Rodgers with Packers, Big Ben did Pittsburg, etc. You can't make a franchise QB magically appear out of thin air, they aren't falling out of trees like coconuts. But to not add even a single developmental QB in late rounds is inexcusable.

I would have favored not signing Fitz-Average, cutting Allen, letting Heinecke roll into camp as QB1, maybe letting Montez be 3rd QB, or drafting 2 QBs. Totally committing to finding long-term answer at QB, no stopgap, and if you suck this year then you pick high enough to get a good QB next year or year after. Let's suppose you disagree with this approach, we should have signed Fitz-"Magic". Okay, I'll play along. Heinecke should be kept as #3 QB at worst. Yet keeping Allen and thus having 2 QBs on roster with no long-term potential (Allen,Fitz) is indefensible. It is what a coach would of course do (what if Fitz gets hurt and Heinecke sucks, I could be on the hot seat if I don't have a game manager like Allen) but not a GM, and this is again problem having coach as GM.

Let's suppose Smith was GM. He would have told entire scouting staff, there are hundreds of QBs in North America entering the draft or exiting college this year. Somewhere right now, there is one QB with upside. I don't care if he's playing in a bush league on the backside of the moon or Mars, find him.

When we mortgage future picks to draft a fucking long snapper, use one of the last picks of the draft on a 10th WR (lets count the viable WRs on our roster, not all stud #1s, but viable WRs: #1-McL,#2-Samuel,#3-Humphries,#4-Harmon,#5-Golden,#6-Sims,S.,#7-Sims,C.,#8-Carter,#9-Brown(R)), and don't draft a single developmental QB, even take a flier one one, this is inexcusable. We are going to cut 2-3 WRs that will get picked up by other teams for sure. It would have been WAY smarter to draft a QB and sign a LS off the street, or draft a QB instead of Milne, even if you stash him on PS. To do SOMETHING, even if it just with a single 6th round or 7th round pick in lieu of a long snapper or 10th WR, to find a long-term answer at QB. Not doing so is completely inexcusable, and anyone who can look at our QB situation from a long-term perspective and argue that standing completely pat while drafting a 10th WR and a LS should not be running a FO.

NEED NOT BPA
This was a need draft start to finish. I believe we stayed true to our board up to point, picking one of the highest ranked players, but we clearly pigeonholed need. This became egregious rounds 4,5, and 6, when FAR more talented and proven players were still on the board and we passed them. We are a much better team with no gaping "holes" except FS, and of course a long-term answer at the most important position in all of sports, because we pigeonholed need. We should be the favorite to win division if Fitz doesn't implode or revert to his statistical mean performance levels. Yet we left a lot of talent on the table, in terms of difference between talent of players we drafted for need, and those we could have chosen for BPA. Long term, you draft like this, you have a major talent deficit versus contender teams that draft for BPA consistently.

I am fine pigeonholing need a bit for a LT, the second highest leverage position, but not anywhere else in this draft as we did. Coaches will always draft for need and the short term. GMs will generally draft more long-term and BPA. This draft is a case study in why a coach should not be a GM, our perspective was short-term and short-sighted.

That being said, a B- isn't some horrific grade. We added a fair amount of talent, especially with higher picks that are usually the primary determinant of draft grade. We have seen MUCH worse drafts from Redskins FO historically, but we shouldn't drink the kool-aid too much and act like this was some grand-slam draft. It was not. Neither was it a total disaster however, thus the B- grade. The grade is B- rather than B because we mortgaged future to draft what is effectively (though not literally) a 10th WR and a LS, which is brutal.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #40
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Every year it seems like the same shit. People bitching about draft picks, or where they were taken, or why someone didn't do their research.

My only question is if your talent evaluation skills are better than theirs, why are you online complaining on a forum instead of getting paid to tell coaches your opinion.

3 years from now if any of these players turn into quality pros nobody will give two shits about where they were drafted or what price was paid.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #41
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

According to CBS Sports, JOK was diagnosed with a heart condition which caused him to fall on some draft boards.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I love the concept that trading a 5th round pick is mortgaging our future. Particularly when one of the two resulting picks likely will be on the team for 8-10 years if NFL position history holds true.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #43
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Mortgaging the future would have been trading multiple 1s to trade up to draft a QB.

I see a roster with 3 capable guys at QB and a better team now after Saturday.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #44
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Hatters gonna hat. Listening to Sheehan said NFL people he talked to said none of the late round QBs graded out as high as Wilson or Cousins. Cooley also graded out Trask, Mond and Mills and said none are worth more than a 5th but you would have to draft in the third. Kinda called that. I just don't see drafting a QB for the sake of drafting a QB.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #45
MTK
\m/

Already seeing chatter that Vikings fans think Mond could start over Cousins?! Get the F outta here, so dumb