Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

UDFA Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: UDFA Thread

One of the first mocks I did I had the FT taking Patterson in the later rounds. Can't wait to see what this guy can do here. He can play.

Advertisements
Old 05-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #17
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Sounds like he is about to become this years camp crush
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #18
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Short / goal to go yardage? Dude have you read anything about the guy at all? He’s 5’7” 195. He’s the opposite of Barber, he’s a baby JD McKissic. He won’t see the field unless something happens to JD, he’ll be stashed on the practice squad unless he can carve out a role as a return guy.

There are no every down backs available as UDFAs. That’s a nonsense thought. You can only ever reasonably hope to find niche role players at RB in the UDFA phase.
You're right I didn't look him up properly. Consider my wrist slapped.

Looking at him physically, he reminds me of Barry Sanders (build not running style), same height but 8 lb lighter. He doesn't look like he has the agility Sanders did, but he's got the power in his legs to extend after being hit and break tackles. But bigger guys in the NFL... If he put on a few pounds he could be quite the little bruiser.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #19
calia
Playmaker

Hummingbirds don’t have the agility that Barry Sanders did. I recently showed my son some of his highlights (he’s too young to have seen him play). It was one, “OMG! No way! What the what?” after another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #20
calia
Playmaker

I am so rooting for our new RB. That’s a guy who has fought to prove people wrong his whole life. Love it. The world was built on the principle of “I’ll show you.”

Old 05-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #21
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I am so rooting for our new RB. That’s a guy who has fought to prove people wrong his whole life. Love it. The world was built on the principle of “I’ll show you.”

Totally agree! Would love to see this guy work out. He seems incredibly driven. Love his size and production. If anything, he'll increase competition in camp.

Honestly, I think him and Lamar Miller are flying under the radar.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #22
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
Totally agree! Would love to see this guy work out. He seems incredibly driven. Love his size and production. If anything, he'll increase competition in camp.

Honestly, I think him and Lamar Miller are flying under the radar.
I would be surprised if Miller is still on the WFT roster by the time the season starts. He lost a step and doesn't have much to offer to us. I liked him when he was younger.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #23
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Yeah, Miller's been done for a while.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #24
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I would be surprised if Miller is still on the WFT roster by the time the season starts. He lost a step and doesn't have much to offer to us. I liked him when he was younger.

Totally agreed.

I think this UDFA kid steals his spot. I know they aren't exactly the same style RB, but I think you go with the younger, cheaper, chip-on-his-shoulder guy if all things are equal.

We'll see how the kid shows up against NFLers. But if its close between the two, you gotta go younger guy.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Just watched the highlights of Patterson's game vs. Kent State. Impressive breakaway speed and he bounces off tacklers. I hope he makes the team.

Reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #26
skinsnut
Playmaker

Just watched Patterson too. His highlights are numerous. Looks like a north south Jump cut guy. I can easily see him making the team. He seems to do most of his work up the gut with a lead block from a fullback or pulling guard. We dont have a FB. I did see a few zone block stretch plays that he hit, but he seems the most effective aiming north south directly at the mlb. Not sure of fit without a FB. This kid races directly into traffic with zero delay. He made explosive plays up the gut sometimes with minimal gaps. His vision and jump cuts look excellent. Id be interested in seeing him on draw plays. He has no hesitation through the line of scrimmage. His production is amazing. The only thing is his level of competition was lame and his line looked fairly dominant
Old 05-10-2021, 01:53 AM   #27
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Apparently the Browns had a guy signed before the last pick was announced, seems a little premature, maybe they should have a 24 hour wait period after the end of the draft before people can sign. Doesn't stop teams from talking to them, but I get the impression that some teams are very much "sign now or the deal is off of the table" forcing the UDFAs to make quick decisions
No. Keep in mind, we had one of last picks in draft, so we couldn't realistically sign guys (even unofficially) until after that pick. A day doesn't matter, players go where the money is and where they have best chance of sticking or playing.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #28
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
Hummingbirds don’t have the agility that Barry Sanders did. I recently showed my son some of his highlights (he’s too young to have seen him play). It was one, “OMG! No way! What the what?” after another.

He would have played 5 more years if not stuck on the Lions. I remember when his agent asked for top-5 RB and top-5 QB money, not to be an a-hole, but to make a point to inept Detroit management. He would have shattered every record if not stuck on a horrible team.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:34 AM   #29
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
He would have played 5 more years if not stuck on the Lions. I remember when his agent asked for top-5 RB and top-5 QB money, not to be an a-hole, but to make a point to inept Detroit management. He would have shattered every record if not stuck on a horrible team.
Instead, Emmitt Smith has the rushing yards record. Thanks Detroit.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:35 AM   #30
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Funny how we get so much stick for inept management in the Snyder era (totally warranted), but Detroit seem to get off relatively lightly. There's a reason they haven't won a SB and their handling of potential (Sanders back then, Stafford recently) is arguably worse than anything we've done.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote