Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Recount Opinions

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Recount Opinions

Jill Stein has pulled effectively a "Harbaugh" on the Electoral College. From the election thread poll, we know we have about a 50/50 split in this group so I am curious what everyone's take on it is.

While the 3 recounts will not change the election results the net effect could cause an interesting Electoral College spin.

Because the 3 states recounts likely won't be complete and certified by December 13th, the electors may not be able to complete and send in their votes by the 19th of December as required by the US Constitution.
Quote:
Key Dates:

December 13, 2016

States must make final decisions in any controversies over the appointment of their electors at least six days before the meeting of the Electors. This is so their electoral votes will be presumed valid when presented to Congress.

Decisions by states’ courts are conclusive, if decided under laws enacted before Election Day.

December 19, 2016

The Electors meet in their state and vote for President and Vice President on separate ballots. The electors record their votes on six “Certificates of Vote,” which are paired with the six remaining Certificates of Ascertainment.

The electors sign, seal, and certify six sets of electoral votes. A set of electoral votes consists of one Certificate of Ascertainment and one Certificate of Vote. These are distributed immediately as follows:

one set to the President of the Senate (the Vice President) for the official count of the electoral votes in January;
two packages to the Secretary of State in the state where the electors met—one is an archival set that becomes part of the public record of the Secretary of State's office and the other is a reserve set that is subject to the call of the President of the Senate to replace missing or incomplete electoral votes;
two packages to the Archivist—one is an archival set that becomes part of the permanent collection at the National Archives and Records Administration and the other is a reserve set that is subject to the call of the President of the Senate to replace missing or incomplete electoral votes; and
one set to the presiding judge in the district where the Electors met—this is also a reserve set that is subject to the call of the President of the Senate to replace missing or incomplete electoral votes.
December 28, 2016

Electoral votes (the Certificates of Vote) must be received by the President of the Senate and the Archivist no later than nine days after the meeting of the electors. States face no legal penalty for failure to comply.

If votes are lost or delayed, the Archivist may take extraordinary measures to retrieve duplicate originals.

On or Before January 3, 2017

The Archivist and/or representatives from the Office of the Federal Register meet with the Secretary of the Senate and the Clerk of the House in late December or early January. This is, in part, a ceremonial occasion. Informal meetings may take place earlier.

January 6, 2017

The Congress meets in joint session to count the electoral votes. Congress may pass a law to change this date.
Bottom line, is that by challenging enough electoral votes to prevent Trump from receiving 270 (even though they all will eventually be counted) the electoral college may not be able to elect Trump by the structural deadlines.

If no candidate has 270, would the Congress, who all likely dislike Trump, be willing to extend the date? Would they on Jan 6th convene and vote on a president and vice president outside of the normal process?

According to the national archives, if no one reaches 270:
Quote:
If no Presidential candidate wins 270 or more electoral votes, a majority, the 12th Amendment to the Constitution provides for the House of Representatives to decide the Presidential election. If necessary the House would elect the President by majority vote, choosing from the three candidates who received the greatest number of electoral votes. The vote would be taken by state, with each state having one vote.
How does the House of Representatives breakdown since each state only gets one vote? If a state is mixed Dem/Rep, how would they determine their vote?

Or do ou think that the recounts will be completed before the 13th and the Electoral college vote go without issues.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Recount Opinions

Oh I thought you meant "recount your opinions " of Trump. LOL
Just that in the wake of these latest swampy hirings it sounded like a good idea for a thread.
This guy just keeps getting better. In a comedic way.
Seriously though I think the recount is just an exercise in futility. Regardless of the "law" or what the archives say, because it is becoming quite obvious that the constitution or fact means nothing at all in this country.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

As a country we are quite fond of wasting money and time on exercises such as these. This is more about propping up Jill Stein popularity and status than the recount...extremely selfish.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

I doubt anything comes of it, although anything that ruffles Trump's delicate feathers is alright with me.

I think we've got much bigger things to be concerned with as far as his presidency goes.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I doubt anything comes of it, although anything that ruffles Trump's delicate feathers is alright with me.

I think we've got much bigger things to be concerned with as far as his presidency goes.

Exactly. This is just something else that will assure he continues to act like a juvenile and eventually even the most stubborn trumpers will have to acknowledge the fact that they put an unstable, two bit con artist, hypocritical, hate monger in the Oval Office.
This cabinet should already be enough to turn the Trumpers off. He is not draining the swamp. He is hiring the swamp. But I know, it is because they know the swamp?!?!? Holy shit. Suckers are born every day.
Goldman Sachs was the culprit during the campaign. They were public enemy number one. They stood for Wall Street and Trump was going to take them down. Now they run the country. Good job dipshit.
Oh and this bullshit with Carrier. Hahaha. Mike Pences hometown. They did not threaten them about going to Mexico like they said. They paid them to stay! Crony Capitalism at its finest! Let us see the details of this great deal? Or are they under audit too? Wake the fuck UP people.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

It is a who's who of old white men. I wonder if they call Kellyanne Conway sweetheart or toots?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
It is a who's who of old white men. I wonder if they call Kellyanne Conway sweetheart or toots?

I know what I call her...it starts with C and isn't cutie
Old 12-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Her face is almost more upsetting than Trump's.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Does it rhyme with schmunt?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Her face is almost more upsetting than Trump's.

Sooooo true. I really am not sure which face I could tolerate longer. Possibly him actually. She straight up has the devil inside her. Bob Dylan once said, "and all of your money can never buy back your soul".
Old 12-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Does it rhyme with schmunt?

It does!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Exactly. This is just something else that will assure he continues to act like a juvenile and eventually even the most stubborn trumpers will have to acknowledge the fact that they put an unstable, two bit con artist, hypocritical, hate monger in the Oval Office.
This cabinet should already be enough to turn the Trumpers off. He is not draining the swamp. He is hiring the swamp. But I know, it is because they know the swamp?!?!? Holy shit. Suckers are born every day.
Goldman Sachs was the culprit during the campaign. They were public enemy number one. They stood for Wall Street and Trump was going to take them down. Now they run the country. Good job dipshit.
Oh and this bullshit with Carrier. Hahaha. Mike Pences hometown. They did not threaten them about going to Mexico like they said. They paid them to stay! Crony Capitalism at its finest! Let us see the details of this great deal? Or are they under audit too? Wake the fuck UP people.
Just wow.

Im just lost with the left on so much...I feel a lot of this is goes back to a general principal of "Protecting Obama", his legacy, etc.

I feel people who support the President (left, middle, who ever) love this president so much (and he is a great, easy to get along with type dude, no question, the type of guy you want to drink a beer with and hang with) they are willing to say and believe anything that reinforces his failed positions. It has come to the point where people are actively rooting another police shooting of a minority, another mass shooting, another example of Islamic phobia, another outrageous racist social media post, if there is a terrorist attack- they want the suspect to be white and a Jesus freak-there is disappointment when its another muslim, etc.

This past week the event at Ohio St, these same folks went to social media, comments section of news sites, left leaning bubble sites and immediately started with the anti-gun, mass shooting stuff. Its like "everybody to the gym, time to have a spirit rally for one of our favorite teams!!!!" Yet, there was no gun involved...

Its a defensive mechanism to protect this President because he has failed to do the one thing he promised, to bring everyone together and give this country hope. Failure, F Grade. The country seems more divided than ever, the country is less safe, the world is more volatile and our influence as a nation around the world has been severally damaged. Yet, their is very little talk of the failures by folks and the media.

Now because the new President actually put work in to save American, working class jobs, their is a backlash. Folks seemed to be now rallying for us to lose these jobs overseas. Is this the case? We simply are not making sense as a country anymore.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

I couldn't possibly care less about this recount effort and won't give it any significant thought. It's just noise. Trump's going to end up president.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

The Carrier thing was a total bullshit PR move.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow