Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Punch's Post-Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #136
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Punch's Post-Game Thread

We aren’t winning five more quarters let alone games....
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #137
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

We will be lucky to win 3 games
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #138
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post

You may be right. It all depends on how Allen plays. He showed that he could run and scramble, which is better than Haskins or Smith. That running ability gives at least a modest upgrade to the offense. A second upgrade would be Allen’s ability connect on medium to long passes. We’ll have to see if Allen can connect on real medium to long passes in these next games. Building a full assortment of passes will open up the run game AND the short passing plays.

Haskin’s had that one long pass to McLaurin in his last game, but he hasn’t been able to accurately make passes over 20 yards (he has passes over 20 yds but they were mostly all YAC). Smith had the same problem. Both Smith and Haskins ended up doing very short passes as their basic staple. But the Rams showed the BLUEPRINT of how to beat Smith’s SHORT passing game: put “8 in the box” and double-team McLaurin. Neither Haskins nor Smith has showed the ability to connect on the mid-to-long passes. So, with the defense crowded up to the front, the rushing game is jammed, and the YAC from short passes is MINIMAL.

I think Allen will do better than Haskins and Smith. But his desire to prove himself may result in getting hurt, as he almost was today in a helmet-to-helmet play that let Alex Smith come in. Also, as teams get tape on him, his ability to surprise them will go down.

AGAIN, the best things to happen to this team are the following:

1. Snyder is forced to sell the team by the NFL / Owners. The Haskin’s fiasco is just another in a incredible number of horrible personnel decisions made by Snyder over the years. The amazing thing is that after 20 years of mistakes, failures and losses, Snyder still thinks that he knows more about picking NFL personnel than anyone else. He ignored Gruden, the scouts and picked a QB because Haskins went to school with his kids!! If he’s not forced to sell, Snyder will eventually lean on the next HC to let Danny play fantasy football some more.

2. Win the least number of games. The fewer the better, because the team will need to pick a QB in the first round. Right now the Giants, Jets and Falcons are all at 0-5. If the Giants beat us, that drops us below then. Our QB draftee in the first round , all the rest of the draft picks and FA signings will be the first chosen SOLELY by Rivera, Kyle Smith and the rest of the coaches with ZERO INPUT from Snyder or his lackey GM. Unfortunately, it will take SEVERAL YEARS to eliminate all the Snyder-dictated or Snyder-influenced personnel MISTAKES. It will take at least 2 years to clean out Snyder’s trash!

I understand why Rivera couldn’t keep Haskin’s in any longer. If the stories are true, Haskin’s slacking off of his film study and practice time must have totally pissed off Rivera and the coaches ( and even the players). In fact, it was really being thrown back in the coach’s faces. But thinking the team is better than it is, was a major Bruce Allen character flaw. I hope Rivera figures out quickly how bad this team really is, for the changes he needs to make after the season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:51 AM   #139
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'm convinced Rivera already knows. He seems to be testing out every element he has, to see what's worth keeping. Why else keep Smith in the game when Allen was cleared? It wasn't to win the game, maybe even to break him and force him into retirement. I think last weeks "we have a chance to win the division" speech was more for the owner than anyone else, so he could sell benching DH. I don't think he's a guy to tank but will take advantage of situations like 2+ scores down to allow the inevitable to happen as he has already.

Got to ask, as I don't really follow CFB (we don't see much of it over here and with Covid...); would we be better off with the #1 pick or trading down? Don't we need to all but draft a new OL? If we were to get Lawrence, how do we build an OL to protect him, given we haven't done close to a decent job of that up to this point? Not to mention the need for TE, WR and DBs.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #140
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post
That may be good enough to win the NFC East.