Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Q&A with: J.I. Halsell

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Q&A with: J.I. Halsell

This is from John Keim's Redskins email report, sign up here

The native Washingtonian has a unique perspective on the Redskins, having worked in the front office as a salary cap analyst for two years. He’s now the director of football analytics for Priority Sports, and he’s routinely a guest on local radio for his insight into the salary cap.

He didn’t get too much into certain areas — he can only say so much about another player’s market value considering he works for an agency. I’d heard from a league source that linebacker London Fletcher could get a three-year deal worth around $6 million a year and Halsell agrees that sounds about right. And he agrees with the prevailing notion that running back Tim Hightower likely will have to sign a one-year deal and prove he’s healthy.

Anyway, here’s the rest:

Q: It sounds as if Peyton Manning could get a deal for around $18 million a year when it’s all said and done. Could the Redskins still do other things if they got him?

A: They could. I like to think the Redskins are building their roster for the long term. Any team that invests in Peyton Manning isn’t making that decision from a long-term perspective; they’re looking to make a one- or two-year run. He can probably play at an elite level for another one to two years. Do they have the cap space to make it happen? Absolutely. Is it necessarily the best decision from a long-term roster building perspective? I’d say no, unless you get a young QB in the draft. They still need their QB of the future. I think at the end of the offseason you’ll either see an RGIII or Peyton Manning at quarterback.

Q: It looks like the Redskins have played it wisely when it comes to the cap. Is that accurate?

A: Absolutely. If there’s a team that leveraged the uncapped year in 2010 to its full advantage to their books in order it was the Redskins. What they did with Albert and restructuring his deal and putting potential dead cap money in an uncapped year. … They did the same with D-Hall. Bruce Allen is a cap guy. That’s how he came into the league, as an agent and as a cap guy. And Eric [Schaffer] is known as one of the brightest cap guys in the league. That’s why he’s been there since 2003. That team, more than any other, leveraged the uncapped year and has done a great job structuring their contracts since then. If there’s a team that can entice Peyton while at the same time protecting their interests if there’s a decline, it’s the Redskins.

Q: Are there danger signs down the road?

A: No. They’re in great shape. Because Trent Williams is part of that last class under the old rookie compensation system. He has some high cap numbers going forward, but aside from that they’ve done a great job. They have a lot of young players on the team. That means a lot of cheap contracts. They’re able to roll over a ton of money in cap space from 2011 and roll it over to 2012, and that’s how you get to the $40 million in cap space. They’re in a really good situation. It’s a far cry from when I used to be there. Now it’s one thing to manage the cap wisely, but now the players you have under that cap need to produce on the field. At least now the cap side is good to go and now it’s a matter of bringing the right guys in there. The coaching staff and the owner have displayed a level of patience thus far. It takes a while.

Q: How much will the rookie wage scale help them when it comes to getting a quarterback?

A: As a No. 1 pick last year, Cam Newton got around $22 million guaranteed. Let’s bank on $20 million guaranteed, but that’s over four years. So when you’re talking about the Redskins with $40 million in cap space, you’re talking about a potential franchise QB costing them $20 million over four years. You get a potential solid veteran starter in Kyle Orton who could cost $27 million over three. This is a team with plenty of cap space so they can make it work. It could be like what Atlanta did to get Julio Jones in the draft. You could see the Redskins make that type of commitment to get RGIII. If you feel that’s what you need to help your team get over the hump. But even though there’s $40 million in cap space, they’ll still be measured in free agency. I don’t think it will be like the old days where they’re buying up everybody. There’s always a risk when you start paying top of the market deals to guys.

Q: What sort of deal is LaRon Landry looking at?

A: It only takes one team, that’s the motto from an agent’s perspective. There will be a team out there that is probably willing to roll the dice on a LaRon and pay him more than the Redskins feel comfortable paying him. His history of injuries are documented. At the same time there might be a team out there that can’t resist the athleticism and the plays he makes when he’s healthy. His deal might be structured, whether it’s in Washington or elsewhere, where a team can walk away after one year if he can’t show that he can stay healthy.

Q: Do you think Chris Cooley will have to restructure his deal?

A: Let’s say he’s not the old Chris Cooley we’re used to seeing. They’d probably want him to take a pay cut. But because they’re in such a good cap situation they could ride out the rest of his contract and be fine and still franchise Fred Davis.

Q: Would the Redskins be interested in Randy Moss?

A: That’s not the type of guy I see the Redskins [signing], going back to the culture the organization is trying to instill. That organization needed cultural change. … That was the biggest thing they talked about around the draft — the team captains they drafted. Roy Helu [a Priority Sports client] is a great kid. He’s soft spoken and football matters to him. All the kids they drafted were good character kids. Kerrigan is a great guy. When you pair good young players with solid professional veterans, it goes a long way toward changing the culture. I think that will continue in veteran free agency.

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Q&A with: J.I. Halsell

Really nice work. Love the insight that he brought to the table. Thanks for posting this Matty.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

This is great stuff.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Awesome, thanks Matty.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Based off his assessment i am leaning toward RGIII over Manning because u can get some quality veterans around the kid. 20 mil over 4 years is a killer deal for a quality QB.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
diehard
The Starter

Find out about the 2012 rookie class who are Priority Sports' clients...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Mohammad Sanu

Halsell is a beast as are Schaffer and Allen in this area.

Great interview. Thanks Ego
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Good find Matty. I signed up for John Keim's email report to get this interview, but obviously because it is email based, I wasn't able to view it through that medium.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Really good stuff, were in good hands. (please don't say ALLSTATE)
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Great work
Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Thanks Matty. Awesome.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
backrow
The Starter

As I used to say to my grandkids after they made poopy in the potty for the first time: Good job!

No, really Matty, awsome job. Great stuff!