Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: If you had to choose between the two...
Sign Peyton Manning 43 32.82%
Trade up for RGIII 88 67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #1111
biffle
Special Teams

Re: Peyton Manning or RGIII your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Good point. I forgot Cleveland at 22.
Depending on what they do with their first choice, of course.

Advertisements
Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #1112
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

How long is this thread going to go, as if these two were the only two options out there. Surprise, surprise...something different is going to happen and we will all be delighted about it come week 10 of the next season...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #1113
Pigskins

Quote:
We did that last year. The result was Rex Grossman and John Beck. We also did it the year before. The result was Donovan McNabb.
Your still here aren't you?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #1114
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Nah, in all seriousness RGIII. And for him I'm more then willing to do the Eli trade. I saw how effective the running game in Atlanta was off bootlegs with Michael Vick, running lanes wide open and not because of blocking but fear of the QB hitting the edge and breaking off a big game leaving Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett looking like pro bowl backs.

I can only imagine how that would work here in Washington, especially considering the fact that RGIII won't need 10 years and a prison term to learn how to pass in the NFL.

Andrew Luck would be great but we would have to hit on a lot more then two or three draft picks to equal the impact someone like RGIII will bring to this franchise for the next decade.
That's what I've been imagining too.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #1115
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Tim Tebow...who else?
Not since The Cosby Show have a doctor and a lawyer been so in sync with each other.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #1116
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
but at the end of the day, drafting a first round quarterback who isn't the consensus no. 1 QB in the draft is the same road the Redskins have been on.
I wonder how often the consensus top QB actually proves to be the top QB? 50%?
I think skill set of QB we drafted wasn't the issue holding this team back as much as the team itself was the issue.
I can't imagine drafting Aaron Rodgers would have made a meaningful difference here then Jason Campbell because the Aaron Rodgers that we know was drafted into a good situation with a strong FO with a clear team vision, quality personnel, with a stable offensive minded QB friendly HC and got to sit for a couple/few years and develop in that system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you think the Redskins would be better off today if they had beaten the Bears' price to get Cutler?
Nope.
Like you mention the team itself would actually be worse.
No Orkapo, no Trent Williams and we can't imagine that Synder through Vinny C as his proxy would have made suddenly started making sound personnel decisons.

Can you imagine how Cutler would have reacted amidst the nightmare that was the personnel, FO and coaching staff management when Campbell was here?

I think the perception of Cutler would be even worse now then it is already.

btw-I think Culter is one of the most talented QBs in the NFL but going to Chicago has lowered his statistical progression and many fans think he's a lesser QB because of it.
But over the past 2 years (I watch a lot of Bears football) Cutler has been playing some darn good football behind an OL that takes an almost stupid amount of toughness to play behind.

Last edited by 30gut; 02-19-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #1117
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffle View Post
Not bitter and not a troll.
Don't post anything if you can't handle people pointing out when you're wrong. And if you're going to refuse to admit it and then fling out misdirection and contradictory statements to deflect from it, you better be able to deal with people questioning you, if not your intelligence itself.
You continue with the insulting statements about my intelligence which is disrespectfull and uncalled for.

My comments aren't stupid or invalid just because you don't agree with them. I made a statement and I standby it. Hoyer is nothing more than bargaining chip imo. The Patriots are smart enough to create a percieved value by saying that they may (yet to be seen if they do it) give him a high tender as a RFA. The fact of the matter is no one has NFL tape on this guy except the Patriots (other than preseason gametape against vanilla defenses). By giving the perception that the Patriots want to keep him it my garner for them trade value from some team who values the Patriots front office more than their own. I hope the Redskins aren't that team. Also having Mallett on the roster has made him expendible which is a valid arguement. He wasn't so good that they said we pass on taking Mallett. As a RFA the Patriots can keep him if they so choose. All they have to do is put a tender on him. It's not like UFA where if they want to keep him they better franchise him or sign him long term.

Im done with this. I continue to ask you to validate why his value should be a 3rd and 4th rounder or any pick for that matter from us. The fact that he is on the Patriots roster and he played behind Tom Brady is not enough for me to give up a McNabb type deal to get him. The Patriots are going to possibly find some sucker to take him creating a pick out of an undrafted, untested player, hopefullly it's not from the team in DC.

Last edited by diehardskin2982; 02-19-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #1118
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I swear it's like some of you don't want to draft a QB until we have 5 all-pro offensive lineman (all home grown draft picks of course), a 1,000 yard rusher, a pro bowl receiver, and a pro bowl Tight End. Or you want to draft a QB but God forbid we go after one of the guys that has a good chance of being successful. No we'd rather go after a Jason Campbell or a Patrick Ramsey level prospect and we all know how much everyone loved him during his time here.

Building the perfect team sans QB only works in a Brett Favre situation like Minnesota a couple of years ago. Where all the parts are there and the veteran QB just steps in and helps the team compete for a Super Bowl. With a rookie QB you need enough pieces in place to prevent him from getting killed but not so much that the team isn't going to be together by the time you're ready to compete for a Super Bowl.

And what are we really giving up with packaging draft picks to move up? The next Laron Landry? Brian Orakpo is struggling to get to double digit sacks. Ryan Kerrigan is good but he isn't a game changer. Why are we so damn attached to our first round picks? Rocky McIntosh? Devin Thomas? Malcolm Kelly? How many of our high draft picks have kept us out of the cellar?

I know we need to draft and build a core but this captain check down draft strategy is not going to do squat when it comes to winning a freaking Super Bowl. Something the Giants have won twice since 2007.
Mmm. This.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #1119
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Your opinion. Until I see something to change my mind I stand by my statement of him and trading two picks to get him a joke.
Completely agree.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #1120
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I think you scout young unknown QBs the same way you scout a college prospect: skill set.
Skill set is the only evidence any rookie or young unproven QB can have to suggest whether or not they'll succeed.
We know that Hoyer has shown the skillset to get drafted and make an NFL roster.
He's also shown the skillset to be the back-up QB for a well run franchise that values every spot on the roster and expects the next man up to produce.
The fact that Bellichick trust him as the back-up for his playoff team alone speaks volumes.

But in the end Hoyer is no different then Flynn or Josh Johnson or Jimmy Clausen or Tyrod Taylor or Matt Lienart or any young, journeyman or second chance QB.

Only opportunity will answer the question of whether they can handle being thee guy.

I understand the concern for the fans of this franchise if the Shanahan's choose to go the journeymen/second chance QB route.
Going after a guy like Hoyer would be an unconventional approach to addressing this team's QB need and the Shanahan has used up the cache of QB failure leeway.
If they try and use the smartest man in the room approach to address the QB position they cannot afford to get it wrong.
And the perception right or wrong is that journeyman/second chance QBs are less likely to succeed then drafted QBs.
Im not 100% sure, but I thought Hoyer didnt get drafted, was an UDFA
Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #1121
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think it's time to lock this one up