Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Preseason Week 4)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #31
Southpaw
The Starter

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Preseason Week 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_nna View Post
Hold up a sec. The guy looked bad in passing situations, but lets remember this was his first game out and really looked unmovable in running situations. I'm actually a little excited about the prospects of him improving than thinking of cutting him. The sack that led to the fumble you could see that the lateral quickness wasn't there but thats something that can be improved.
The season starts in a nine days. It doesn't seem feasible to keep a project offensive tackle when there will likely be free agents that can step in and perform adequately, after Saturday's cuts. I don't see how anyone can be comfortable with having Mike Williams as the #3 offensive tackle.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #32
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
The season starts in a nine days. It doesn't seem feasible to keep a project offensive tackle when there will likely be free agents that can step in and perform adequately, after Saturday's cuts. I don't see how anyone can be comfortable with having Mike Williams as the #3 offensive tackle.
He's fourth, Bridges is the backup right now.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Is it just me or does our run blocking suck a**? First team, second team and third team.

I know we are playing some good D's but even last night against Jacksonville our 1st team didn't run block well for that one series. I hope they pick it up and quick.
It's not you, but at the same time, we didn't really run the way we will in the season. Meaning, How many left end sweeps behind Samuels Dockery and with Sellers leading the way did you see? I don't think I saw any.

I know it's a smack session, but I am so excited, and drinking so much Kool-aid it's not funny. I think JZ ran this preseason perfectly. We used it to test schemes, players, and backups against firsts. JZ never got caught up in the Fan trap of "playing to win the game". He, and his staff, put specific players in position to win and to step up. That's a good pre-season to me. Also, no key injuries (although is anyone else worried about Carlos) is a good thing.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
53Fan
Franchise Player

Mike Williams has been a good story this year and he's busted his ass. We probably did more for him than Jenny Craig could have done but he is still a project. Unless they think he can be really good, and so far in the NFL he hasn't, I don't see any reason to keep him if we can get a FA who is better.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_nna View Post
Hold up a sec. The guy looked bad in passing situations, but lets remember this was his first game out and really looked unmovable in running situations. I'm actually a little excited about the prospects of him improving than thinking of cutting him. The sack that led to the fumble you could see that the lateral quickness wasn't there but thats something that can be improved.
I agree. I think if we have an early rash of line injuries we are hurting, but I think MW has a very good upside if we continue the project into the middle of the season. I certainly don't "miss Jansen" - not trying to belittle Jansen, just glad that he is not on the team.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Mike Williams has been a good story this year and he's busted his ass. We probably did more for him than Jenny Craig could have done but he is still a project. Unless they think he can be really good, and so far in the NFL he hasn't, I don't see any reason to keep him if we can get a FA who is better.
IF we got a Levi Jones, or an appreciable quality backup yes, but remember that the guys being cut now failed to make another team's 53. so any guy we get is either old (and maybe good) or a project.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #37
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
The scary part is Vinny sounded like he was all about keeping this guy.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #38
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The scary part is Vinny sounded like he was all about keeping this guy.
Well like I said, unless they think he's going to be really good, and maybe they do. But he's going to need more games under his belt before he shows it. That means he can't let minor injuries stop him from playing when called upon. Buges seemed a little upset when he wasn't practicing because of his ankle, but I think he got the message.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #39
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
It's not you, but at the same time, we didn't really run the way we will in the season. Meaning, How many left end sweeps behind Samuels Dockery and with Sellers leading the way did you see? I don't think I saw any.

I know it's a smack session, but I am so excited, and drinking so much Kool-aid it's not funny. I think JZ ran this preseason perfectly. We used it to test schemes, players, and backups against firsts. JZ never got caught up in the Fan trap of "playing to win the game". He, and his staff, put specific players in position to win and to step up. That's a good pre-season to me. Also, no key injuries (although is anyone else worried about Carlos) is a good thing.
Well said. It's exactly why I'm not worried about the running game or the defense. I think both were very vanilla and nothing close to what we will see once the season starts rolling.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #40
freddyg12
Playmaker

M. Williams is a real dilemma. He's literally getting used to 1) playing again, and 2) his own body.

His body probably hasn't adjusted to the weight loss yet, his balance & coordination has to have changed some w/the loss. He's probably not as strong as he will be in mid season either. I would hate to see him in a game anytime soon, but maybe the coaches view him as a mid season project & are willing to take the chance. If he makes the 53, I don't see him dressing anytime soon.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #41
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

I could not agree more. I think the way things were done will pay dividends this year in a big way.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #42
stu_nna
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
There were some bright spots with Williams play. I can see him evolving into something alot more dominant with due time. I think he makes the squad and wiil develope into a reliable back up with minimal drop off from the starters eventually.
stu_nna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #43
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I just don't see MW making a big impact for this team. I would rather have a good FA. I don't know?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #44
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Really, you can't question Mike Williams effort, the guy clearly wants to be great, but there were teams that invested $20-$30 million in this guy, and couldn't turn him into a blocker. This team spends $690,000 on him, and isn't any closer at getting him to be an offensive tackle. At what point do you just call a spade a spade?

If you like his work ethic and potential, move him behind Dockery at LG, and make him a one position player. Then cut Bridges and sign someone who can actually play the tackle position. There's no point to having 2 tackles, 2 centers, and 5 guards.