Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Collins locks up the #2 job, Colt and Chase fighting for the #3

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who will be crowned the #3 QB?
Colt 69 42.59%
Chase 93 57.41%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Re: Collins locks up the #2 job, Colt and Chase fighting for the #3

About Chase vs Colt, I pick Chase. This is not because Chase played great couple days ago. We all know Colt did great too last year. Both threw up good numbers in college too, but we all doubt the credibility of those numbers(Colt in a weak conference, and Chase in a spread offense). In many ways their situations are similar.

Furthermore, I think Colt's struggles are not because he sucked all the sudden. It's his second year in the system, and he knows more of the book. He is thinking more and trying to play the offense, which will initially cause errors. I expect the same dropoff in Chase's performance next year too.

In conclusion I think both QBs are very similar in potential, situation, college exp, etc. The reason I pick Chase is I think his throwing mechanics and skill may be better suiting for the NFL

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I thought Zorn said this a couple weeks ago too, before preseason. In fact, I am positive he clearly said TC is number 2.

Only the media (national especially) mentioned this was an open battle. It never was.
Nope....Zorn said it was a competition for the #2 spot, Colt just played his way out of it. Colt had a great preseason last year, but he really has that "gunslinger" mentality, and the interceptions into double coverage gets old fast.

EDIT:washingtonpost.com

I stand corrected he said "entering camp Collins was his backup", but Zorn left open the possibility someone else could win the job.

Last edited by roth74va; 08-25-2009 at 09:33 AM.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Not trying to nit pick but does anyone else find it weird that everyone calls him Chase Daniels instead of Chase Daniel?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
Nope....Zorn said it was a competition for the #2 spot, Colt just played his way out of it. Colt had a great preseason last year, but he really has that "gunslinger" mentality, and the interceptions into double coverage gets old fast.

EDIT:washingtonpost.com

I stand corrected he said "entering camp Collins was his backup, but Zorn left open the possibility someone else could win the job."
Thanks, I guess it is a middle ground between what we said. It was not open but he hinted if TC sucked and CB wowed then a possibility of change.

I guess my point was it was never open as the media made it seem to be. It is more of a media spun/created story of this "great" qb competition.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

I believe in Colt Brennan. I thought when the offseason began he would compete to be starter cause I thought Campbell would suck in the preseason which he has. Campbell will be a good quarterback just not in our offense (west coast offense). He is too big and is not mobile enough in the pocket although he can take off and run if he has too. Colt Brennan and Chase both move better from the center than Campbell and get to their release point quick. Their footwork seems to be much better than Campbell's. I was looking at the characteristics for the west coast offense and it said something like this: Quarterback--about 6'2 or 6'3 (Colt), quick release (Colt, Daniel), mobile(Colt, Daniel) and ability to make precise decisions and reads (Colt, Daniel). I just believe Colt has the edge simply because of his quicker release and height and he looks more like a west coast quarterback ( ala Rich Gannon) with the side arm release. That Gannon was not half bad.
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Has everyone forgotten that we won actual regular season games with Todd Collins at QB? He's clearly the right choice to be the backup and I think he's more than adequate in that role.

Forgive me for bringing this up yet again, but our problem isn't with TC or with who'll be the third QB; our problem is with the #1 QB. JC must produce this season for us to win. If JC gets nicked a little and TC has to play a few games, we'll get by until JC returns. Colt and Chase are both non-factors, so feel free to pick your #3 QB based on which one's first name you like best.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
About Chase vs Colt, I pick Chase. This is not because Chase played great couple days ago. We all know Colt did great too last year. Both threw up good numbers in college too, but we all doubt the credibility of those numbers(Colt in a weak conference, and Chase in a spread offense). In many ways their situations are similar.

Furthermore, I think Colt's struggles are not because he sucked all the sudden. It's his second year in the system, and he knows more of the book. He is thinking more and trying to play the offense, which will initially cause errors. I expect the same dropoff in Chase's performance next year too.

In conclusion I think both QBs are very similar in potential, situation, college exp, etc. The reason I pick Chase is I think his throwing mechanics and skill may be better suiting for the NFL
Agreed. Chase has much better mechanics than Colt. Colt's mechanics have always made me skeptical of his abilities.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Not trying to nit pick but does anyone else find it weird that everyone calls him Chase Daniels instead of Chase Daniel?
It's getting right up there with Shawn Taylor, Sean Springs, Chad Rinedhardt, Carlos Rodgers, Greg Blanche, and Darryl Green
Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #24
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Thanks, I guess it is a middle ground between what we said. It was not open but he hinted if TC sucked and CB wowed then a possibility of change.

I guess my point was it was never open as the media made it seem to be. It is more of a media spun/created story of this "great" qb competition.
Yeah I agree, I dont think Colt ever really had a chance. Not that TC is a "world-beater", but both Colt and Chase have a long way to go before being a starting caliber QB in the NFL. Man I pray that JC can make it through another season healthy.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's getting right up there with Shawn Taylor, Sean Springs, Chad Rinedhardt, Carlos Rodgers, Greg Blanche, and Darryl Green
That is the worst. ST you gotta know, but if you don't know one of our best defenders and HOFers ever then that is just sad
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I would be really surprised, and frankly a little disappointed, if Colt isn't the #3 and Chase isn't on the practice squad.

But wait a minute SmootSmack, I thought you've been clamoring for Chase all summer? What gives?

Well, it's like this. Chase was a very, very good college quarterback. And even though he would tower over Eddie LeBaron, the fact is that he does have certain physical limitations (which is why he has to basically work his tail off and be a student of the game). That's not to say he doesn't have basic, physical gifts. He's quick, though not fast, and can throw on the run. And he's smart, a hard worker, and a pretty high character guy.

At the same time though, he can be pretty inconsistent, and struggles with the deep pass. He actually reminds me in many ways of Mark Brunell (I'm not talking 2004 Redskins Brunell, I'm talking 1990's Jaguars Brunell).

I don't think Chase Daniel is ready to contribute at the NFL level. But give him a year on the practice squad, let him develop some and next year could be a different story. I think Chase is a lot of of fun to watch, and can be a pretty solid back-up (not positive yet about being a starter) in the NFL, but not yet.

Not sure that Colt is ready to contribute yet either, which is disappointing quite honestly. Still, I think in many ways he is better than last year and i think it's more likely he'd get picked up if released than Chase. So I'd prefer that we keep Colt at #3 and Chase on the PS and just keep developing both of them. Ironically though, practice squad players can often get more playing time during the week than #3 QBs.

Anyway, if we had to make the decision today that's what I'd do
Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #27
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I would be really surprised, and frankly a little disappointed, if Colt isn't the #3 and Chase isn't on the practice squad.

But wait a minute SmootSmack, I thought you've been clamoring for Chase all summer? What gives?

Well, it's like this. Chase was a very, very good college quarterback. And even though he would tower over Eddie LeBaron, the fact is that he does have certain physical limitations (which is why he has to basically work his tail off and be a student of the game). That's not to say he doesn't have basic, physical gifts. He's quick, though not fast, and can throw on the run. And he's smart, a hard worker, and a pretty high character guy.

At the same time though, he can be pretty inconsistent, and struggles with the deep pass. He actually reminds me in many ways of Mark Brunell (I'm not talking 2004 Redskins Brunell, I'm talking 1990's Jaguars Brunell).

I don't think Chase Daniel is ready to contribute at the NFL level. But give him a year on the practice squad, let him develop some and next year could be a different story. I think Chase is a lot of of fun to watch, and can be a pretty solid back-up (not positive yet about being a starter) in the NFL, but not yet.

Not sure that Colt is ready to contribute yet either, which is disappointing quite honestly. Still, I think in many ways he is better than last year and i think it's more likely he'd get picked up if released than Chase. So I'd prefer that we keep Colt at #3 and Chase on the PS and just keep developing both of them. Ironically though, practice squad players can often get more playing time during the week than #3 QBs.

Anyway, if we had to make the decision today that's what I'd do
Good comparison. Both are (or were) short, scrappy, smart, run well when necessary, and struggle with the deep ball.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #28
53Fan
Franchise Player

I was hoping Colt would beat TC out but at this point it doesn't look like it will happen. But I agree with SS. I would keep Colt on the roster and put Daniel on the PS. I'm not ready to give up on Colt because of one INT or just because an undrafted QB had one good game in the preseason. I hope they both still get a chance to show what they can do in these last 2 games, though I would like to see a LOT of JC this Friday. I think the last preseason game will be their best chance to show their stuff and they may each have completely different results than what we've seen so far. We'll see.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Has everyone forgotten that we won actual regular season games with Todd Collins at QB? He's clearly the right choice to be the backup and I think he's more than adequate in that role.

Forgive me for bringing this up yet again, but our problem isn't with TC or with who'll be the third QB; our problem is with the #1 QB. JC must produce this season for us to win. If JC gets nicked a little and TC has to play a few games, we'll get by until JC returns. Colt and Chase are both non-factors, so feel free to pick your #3 QB based on which one's first name you like best.
I haven't forgotten. Didn't TC QB over the win against NJG? How many times has Soup done that?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #30
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Here's my thoughts from Training Camp from the earlier thread:
20. Impressions of QBs:
-Daniel: As I mentioned earlier Daniel is no more than 5'10". He was a little wild in early drills but settled down. He has a sidearm release at times which definitely isn't good at his height. He does have good timing as his passes arrive right on time. He may stay around on the practice squad but because of his height I don't see him being an NFL QB....
- Brennan: for all the Cult of Colt who like to rave about his accuracy, he was the most inaccurate QB today. While running through the practice period of QBs throwing individual routes to the WRs with no D, here are the stats: JC 12-12 all but one pass was on the money, TC 10-10 some passes weak or behind but caught, CB 5-8 one catch was saved by the WR, CD 8-8 good timing. Also while throwing fades, CB overthrew at least three of these while JC only missed one.
That being said CB's footwork is better and it appears his throwing motion is less "backyard" and more of a proper delivery. His arm strength appears improved. Based on what I saw today I would give CB a shot at the #2, but definitely keep Collins on the roster.

Here's my thoughts after 2 preseason games on Colt & Chase. We have to keep Collins on the roster, he's a long time vet and (God forbid) if JC is injured we can count on Collins to manage the games and let the D and run game keep us in it.

Chase is more mobile than Colt. Chase is more accurate than Colt. Chase's timing is better than Colt's. Chase is a rookie, Colt is in his second year in the same system. Chase is about 4 inches shorter than Colt, but it hasn't seemed to affect his performance so far. I'm beginning to get over the height issue, if he continues his strong performances over the next two games he has more upside than Colt and we should make sure we don't lose him. Chase = Baby Brees??
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.

Last edited by Slingin Sammy 33; 08-25-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote