Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Still Don't get why Move Orakpo to LB

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
Pocket$ $traight

Re: Still Don't get why Move Orakpo to LB

Taking Cushing over Orakpo should not be acknowledged. Barring injury Orakpo will be in the running for DROY.

The Cowboys have plenty of their own problems. They looked decent against the Titans but have looked pretty sorry in their other games.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM   #17
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

I was thinking the other day that move to draft him and switch him to a hybrid type player probably was because of Demarcus Ware & Shawn Merriman (plus our need for DE adn the upside of this pick). He has the same skill sets. But I think another small factor that played into it was making sure we can stop big backs like Jacobs. I can't wait to see Orakpo go head to head with Jacobs. Will be awesome!!
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

I cant wait to see Jacobs and Fat Albert go head on
Jay Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #19
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Orakpo is versatile enough to play both positions so he plays both positions. I really don't care where he plays so long as we use him to get pressure on the QB.
Pretty much how I feel. He was the best talent at our spot and we need to him to stay on the field on all downs. So he gets to play SLB until its a clear passing down. It's the best use of his talent. He'd be wasted trying to stop the run anyways.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Pretty much how I feel. He was the best talent at our spot and we need to him to stay on the field on all downs. So he gets to play SLB until its a clear passing down. It's the best use of his talent. He'd be wasted trying to stop the run anyways.

You know what I'm saying? I actually think he's pretty good at sniffing out a run and going after the ball carrier. He's a pretty strong fella too and you can't simply push him around like any other tweener type DE.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 08-31-2009 at 06:42 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #21
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
We drafted two linebackers. The reason he is out there is because he can handle it. You think the Redskins are better with Andre Carter on the bench the whole game? I have wondered why they haven't let Carter play some LB but it really doesn't matter.

Orakpo will be fine at LB and gets better at LB with every snap. I have been thinking how we will cover Witten. We may not have an answer at the moment but what team does?
San Fran tried that and it turned out that he was better with his hand down.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
JLW428
Special Teams

I think Orakpo could be a decent LB but it is clear that his true tallent shines when he is on the line pass rushing.
JLW428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #23
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
San Fran tried that and it turned out that he was better with his hand down.
I know, just like Orakpo is better with his hand down. I guess the dropoff from Orakpo to Carter on the line is less then Carter to Orakpo as LB.

Btw. I predict Carter and ARE gone next year. Orakpo probably won't have to play LB after this year and between Kelly, Thomas and M&M we can dump that hideous contract.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You know what I'm saying? I actually thing he's pretty good at sniffing out a run and going after the ball carrier. He's a pretty strong fella too and you can't simply push him around like any other tweener type DE.
No kidding. During the Steelers game I rewound that play over and over when he bull rushed #66 and had him airborne. Dude outweighs Rak by about 50 lbs and he just straight rag-dolled him. He's got some serious power. I think he'll be fine against the run.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #25
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Honestly I think the reason the Skins are playing Orakpo at both linebacker and DE is to cover two holes with one player. I think next offseason they'll go after a LOLB to play that spot full time and then move Orakpo to DE full time, and keep Orakpo listed as a backup at olb if the starter gets injured or something. I think they might not have enough confidence in the backup guys we have playing OLB to insert one of them in there as the full time starter.

For now though the plan is to play Orakpo at outside linebacker on rushing downs and play him at defensive end on third downs. Then he can learn the best of both positions while also getting enough pt at DE to play that full time next season.

Or I could be wrong and they think he'll really be a standout outside linebacker/pass rusher.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'BOYZ View Post
Hey Guys I watch your game this week and I still don't get why your team is trying to move him to OLB in the 4-3. Orakpo looked good when he was playing as a down lineman but looked completely lost when he was used as a LB specially in coverage.

Why draft a Player with HUGE pass rushing skills and use him as a cover LB... why not draft a LB then.
You forget that when he blitzes from the linebacker position, he likely will have a running back or tight end blocking him, which is a huge advantage for Rak. In this Rak's scenario is much like another rusher who also sometimes plays in coverage who you may have heard of: DeMarcus Ware.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #27
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
No kidding. During the Steelers game I rewound that play over and over when he bull rushed #66 and had him airborne. Dude outweighs Rak by about 50 lbs and he just straight rag-dolled him. He's got some serious power. I think he'll be fine against the run.
I believe he had 19 tackles for a loss as a senior which isn't an easy feet.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #28
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'BOYZ View Post
Hey Guys I watch your game this week and I still don't get why your team is trying to move him to OLB in the 4-3. Orakpo looked good when he was playing as a down lineman but looked completely lost when he was used as a LB specially in coverage.

Why draft a Player with HUGE pass rushing skills and use him as a cover LB... why not draft a LB then.
Ware can't cover either. Now what?
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #29
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

IMO as a DE on the passrush he would be limited except for an occasional stunt. As a OLB he can move around and get more favorable matchups on the rush. ie being blocked by TE's and backs instead of OT's.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It's not unprecedented to take a pass-rushing DE out of college and see him have a great career as a linebacker.

For example, the NCAA all-time sacks leader who played DE at college and just retired after over 12 years as a linebacker

Agree with saden though, he needs to be on the field as often as possible. No matter what position he plays