Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #76
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

He's missed 9 games over the last 2 years.. That isn't terrible

Advertisements
Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #77
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
He's missed 9 games over the last 2 years.. That isn't terrible
Missing 9/32 games - 28% - is significant. Even in his current contract, of which he has 2 years remaining, he's still in the top 5 at his position. Hes getting top 5 money when he's only available 72% of the time. If he is getting paid any more than 72% of what the top LT is already making, then he's already overpaid.

Yet he's asking for even more money? No thanks. If he can make it through 2019 without getting hurt, then maybe its worth extending him a couple years. But it would be completely foolish of the team that is already paying 20MM towards a player who isn't going to play this year to commit even more money to a player who will more likely than not miss significant time this year.

Those who voted for the Redskins to give TW more money are not being realistic. They are allowing their fond memories of TW in his prime to color their judgment on what the team should do now.

If a team is foolish enough to make us an offer we can't refuse, then we should take it. Otherwise, don't negotiate with him. Make him play on his current contract this year. If he stays healthy, then great. He's earned a new contract. If not, then just let him play out his contract and let him walk in 2022
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #78
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Just tossing out a general question, does anyone feel good about breaking in a rookie QB with anyone other than Trent protecting his blind side?
No. which is why its good we have him under contract for 2 more years. also, given trents missed significant time the past few years, he'll likely not be protecting our rookie QBs blindside atleast 4-5 games this year, regardless of whether we give him a new contract or not.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #79
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

This is so tough for me because TW has played hurt, generally kept his mouth shut, and played like a beast for years.

On the other hand, he's another 4:20 break away from a year long suspension because of past transgressions.

Personally, I do the middle ground. Restructure to throw a few extra bucks his way for being a good soldier over the years, but no way in hell do I give him a new contract. I was really hoping TW would just ride off into the sunset as a Skin, but here we are. He DOES have us over a barrel with Christian (and GOD FORBID Flowers) looming, but hey, every game check you miss, let's see how you feel then.

Don't want to establish that precedent.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #80
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Even with a Down year he was 15th in pass blocking grades, only allowed 1 sack folks. 1 all year.

Sorry for the small font, was from my phone
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #81
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Then explain. What happens if Trent wants more guaranteed money upfront, same with Scherff. How is the team gain more cap space? I’m no cap expert and was assuming since you have to pay 2 players a lot money and have barely any cap space.
You've been around this site long enough to hear me explain cap rules ad nauseum over the years. You should have a basic understanding by now.

If you prefer to keep it simple, just take my word for it on all things salary cap.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #82
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Even with a Down year he was 15th in pass blocking grades, only allowed 1 sack folks. 1 all year.

Sorry for the small font, was from my phone
This proves my point. He's average just like I said. I see a uber career in this bum's future.

Last edited by httr198020; 06-05-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #83
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
This proves my point. He's average just like I said.
He had one avg season injured as well, it happens. He's not superman
Old 06-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #84
Schneed10
A Dude

You just can't go into the season with Moses, Flowers, and Geron Christian as your tackle situation. The offense becomes a catastrophe. Moreover I don't even consider letting Haskins play behind that tackle setup. If Trent is traded then Haskins has to sit.

We're over a barrel. You can either stare him down and make him play 2019 on the low contract, or you can pay him. I don't think trading him is a practical solution.

Had we known about his position going into free agency or the draft we might have been able to do something, but with it cropping up now, we need him more than any other NFL team needs him.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #85
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
You just can't go into the season with Moses, Flowers, and Geron Christian as your tackle situation. The offense becomes a catastrophe. Moreover I don't even consider letting Haskins play behind that tackle setup. If Trent is traded then Haskins has to sit.

We're over a barrel. You can either stare him down and make him play 2019 on the low contract, or you can pay him. I don't think trading him is a practical solution.

Had we known about his position going into free agency or the draft we might have been able to do something, but with it cropping up now, we need him more than any other NFL team needs him.
Can't agree anymore, pay the man his due.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #86
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #87
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
He had one avg season injured as well, it happens. He's not superman
He's been average for like three years.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #88
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
we are paying him his due. right now. under his existing contract.

If we could count on Trent to play something even close to 16 games, it would be a different story. But giving new, big money, to aging, injury-prone players when they are already under contract would be incredibly moronic.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #89
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Not sure the argument should be whether or not to pay him. It should be WHEN to pay him.

There is no need to pay him now. He will not hold out in the regular season. If he does, he is not playing elsewhere. Why? Because he has 2 years left on his current deal.

No reason to pay him now with 2 years on his current contract. You pay him as he is entering the final year of the contract.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #90
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
we are paying him his due. right now. under his existing contract.

If we could count on Trent to play something even close to 16 games, it would be a different story. But giving new, big money, to aging, injury-prone players when they are already under contract would be incredibly moronic.
has played 120 games out of 144 in his career, PRETTY DAMN DURABLE
Closed Thread