Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Maryland Terps Basketball

Other Sports

Old 12-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
over the mountain
Playmaker

Maryland Terps Basketball

In case you havent noticed, Terps bball is back.

Turgeon has had an unexpectedly rocky road the past 3 seasons and has been something of an enigma to fans. He seemingly brought in highly touted freshmen classes that never seemed to materialize on the scoreboard.

Many "star" players left early and disappointed: see Terrell Stoglin, Seth Allen, Shaquille Cleare.

There were rumors that this was make or break time for Turgeon.

He came into this season armed with the 8th ranked in-coming class including McDonald's all-american point guard Melo Trimble.

How the hell does Turgeon land a mcdonalds all american when we struggle to make the NITs?

The last McDonalds all-american that came to the terps was Mike Jones under gary williams watch and he was servicable in his later years.

Trimble is more than serviceable. Trimble is the real deal in all aspects.

Jake Layman - he is a better version of nik caner-medley. at 6'9" he can D up, he can stroke the 3 or put it on the floor and get to the hoop and finish. He also brings heart and energy to the floor and NBA scouts to the seats.

Dez Wells - a great transfer grab by Turgeon from (xavier? seton hall?). He is the main scorer on this team and will allow Trimble to get rest while he becomes the primary ball handler. Dez has been injured for teh past 4 weeks and trimble's minutes are over 30. Once Dez comes back, trimble can be used a little less.

This team has all the parts to be dominant. I havent even mentioned the european 7 footer, close to 7 ft Dodd, this dude named Smocklyzk who is 6'9" and is a slightly less talented version of layman. there is this guy Nickens or something that just spots up and is automatic from the 3.

This team is just insane. Everybody has a role to play and everyone plays it to perfection.

14 Team Cume - Maryland Terrapins Athletics - University of Maryland Terps Official Athletic Site

^^ current stats

Men's Basketball - News - Maryland Terrapins Athletics - University of Maryland Terps Official Athletic Site

^^ terps home page

Advertisements
Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Your 2014-2015 Maryland Terps Basketball

Oakland Golden Grizzlies vs. Maryland Terrapins - Recap - December 27, 2014 - ESPN

terps are now ranked #15 by espn.

Missed the game against oakland the other night but here are the highlights.

terps with a huge game tomorrow night at 5 pm as they take on the Michigan Spartans and open up Big10 play.

im pumped for tomorrows game. huge test.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

maybe they could....school the Skins on this winning thing?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
maybe they could....school the Skins on this winning thing?
yup .. patience and having a head guy picking out his own players to fit his scheme seems to be working for the terps.

unpopular moves alienating seth allen (top 100 recruit) by bringing in a mc'ds all american PG but the difference is unbelievable.

i think top 100 recruit Cleare transferred as well bc turgeon was bring in big guys to compete for playing time.

big game tonight.

5 pm.

dee vee are it.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Big win on the road in a tough place to play
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
over the mountain
Playmaker

good teams find ways to win bad games.

everyone looked off.

in college bball, when ever a good player has an off and non-aggressive game .. i think they smoked before the game.

at certain points, i didnt think the terps would come back. down 4 with 30 some seconds to go? crazy

another big one this sat at noon. minnesota?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

big game tonight against the fighting Illini ...

id like to see wells, trimbo and layman have a smooth game. the past 2 games, things have seemed off. layman has disappeared at times. during wells absence, he really stepped up. i know wells is a senior and our 1st look on offense but layman needs to be more assertive.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
over the mountain
Playmaker

deflating loss.

i question turgeon's coaching in this one.

Layman got 2 fouls 2 min into game. he sat Layman the entire 1st half. despite our offense being off and laymans replacement smoltyk (0-6 fg) looking off.

for large parts of the 1st half he had pack as the primary ball handler. at times he had trimbo, wells and layman on the bench. who is going to handle the ball and run a set?

he needs to get wells the ball in motion and space by running high screens or curls for wells to come off of. a lot like williams designed for dixon.

it seemed like the terps and turgeon took this game for granted and he was trying to rest guys.

we had the superior talent. .. when your down in the 2nd half = press the inferior opponent and make them make mistakes. turn up the pressure.

no low post sets or looks. we didnt really run any set plays. just a bunch of rotating up top 4-5 feet beyond the 3 pt line.

turgeon was horrible last night.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
over the mountain
Playmaker

another big game this sat at 2:30.

Maryland Terrapins vs. Purdue Boilermakers - Preview - January 10, 2015 - ESPN

Coach Mark Turgeon believes Maryland's first Big Ten defeat might serve as a needed wake-up call.

The No. 11 Terrapins could face another serious challenge Saturday as they try to bounce back against a Purdue team looking for its first 3-0 league home start in four seasons.
Turgeon knew this week's two-game road swing would be difficult but it seemed Maryland (14-2, 2-1) had caught a break when Illinois announced leading scorer Rayvonte Rice would miss some time with a hand injury. However, Illini guard Malcolm Hill stepped up to hit half of his 18 shots and finished with 28 points to help hand the cold-shooting Terrapins a 64-57 loss Wednesday.
With a record that tied the school's best start and riding a seven-game winning streak, Maryland shot worse than 40.0 percent for the second time in three games, finishing at 36.5 despite going 9 of 21 from 3-point range.
"We've been listening to everybody telling us how good we are," Turgeon said. "You don't ever like to lose, but maybe we needed this."
Talented Maryland freshman guard Melo Trimble (16.3 points per game) had a team-high 17 points but dependable seniors Dez Wells (13.9 ppg), Richaud Pack (8.3) and Evan Smotrycz (4.9) combined for 10 on 3-of-21 shooting.
"I love my seniors, but they just didn't have a good night," Turgeon said. "They were pressing."
The Terps could get a boost after announcing 6-foot-9 Ivan Bender was added to the roster this week and will be eligible to play right away. A native of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bender averaged 14.3 points and 9.0 rebounds for KK Split in the Junior Euroleague.
"We are excited to have Ivan join our program," Turgeon said. "He is a terrific young man who will be a great addition to our team."

--------------------------------------

the terps are adding another talented european big man?

terps do very well with foreign talent.

the 7 foot rookie chekovky looks lost and late against good teams. he looked better early on when we played inferior talent. good move by turgeon to get him minutes early in the season for experience then limit his mins against the reg schedule.

need the terps to step up saturday.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
over the mountain
Playmaker

good win vs Perdue. 3-1 to start the big 10 on the road is pretty awesome.

the terps still look out of sync but are managing to win with defense and just plain ugliness.

cant wait to see them play on all cylinders. the best is yet to come.

Maryland Terrapins vs. Purdue Boilermakers - Recap - January 10, 2015 - ESPN
Old 01-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Im just gonna drop this in here, but its awesome to see Coach L in Miami showing why he is a top coach in the country. Great to see Coach K throw off the jacket from the stress with the Hurricanes whipping their ass in Cameron. Talk to me when your team goes into Cameron and wins.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Im just gonna drop this in here, but its awesome to see Coach L in Miami showing why he is a top coach in the country. Great to see Coach K throw off the jacket from the stress with the Hurricanes whipping their ass in Cameron. Talk to me when your team goes into Cameron and wins.
Miami (FL) Hurricanes vs. Duke Blue Devils - Recap - January 13, 2015 - ESPN

i went to the highlights hoping to see coach k throw a hissy fit but they didnt include it. (I hate duke but respect coach k a ton)

but why was the last comment necessary chico? seems a lil sensitive to me. its okay that miami isnt ranked but the terps are no. 12 in the country. just bc the terps are ranked high and your hurricanes arent doesnt mean the they arent an okay or decent team. it doesnt mean people dont like them. just bc one program is a lot better than the other doesnt mean it has to be an "us v them" mentality.

its just that the top 15 national ranking is really hard to make. out of 137 programs, there is a lot of competition.

but good for miami. keep trying my friend.

--------------------------------

preview for tonights game, tip off at 7 pm.

Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs. Maryland Terrapins - Preview - January 14, 2015 - ESPN

i didnt know eddie jordan coached rutgers now.

go terps.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

not directed at you, just a general statement...I recall the Terps going into Cameron and winning a couple times back in the day.

Maryland is having a good year, just wish it was in the ACC.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
over the mountain
Playmaker

im digging this big 10 thing.

new teams, seems a lot scrappier of a game.

terps just havent played well against ACC competition for a while now.

i would have liked to see how this current team would have played against ACC.

i heard Wells and turgeon were happy to see Seth Allen and Faust leave bc they were distractions in the locker room trying to be class clowns.

Seth would be laughing in the locker room after a lose saying "i got my 16 and 7". Faust would say "I got my 5 and 2 in 12 mins of play".

i like faust and will give him some benefit of the doubt about not being happy with his mins being cut .. but eff seth allen.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
over the mountain
Playmaker

I will continue to talk to myself about the Terps.

I know ive said it for about every game so far this year and, lets admit it, there is nothing big about playing rutgers or illinois but .. this time i mean it.

HUGE game tomorrow.

Michigan St Spartans vs. Maryland Terrapins - Preview - January 17, 2015 - ESPN

michigan state? i thought we played wisconsin tomorrow?

anyways, spartans are still a huge test.

tip off at 4 pm apparently ... if you trust ESPN.