Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

McCants to draw heavy interest from other teams...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

McCants to draw heavy interest from other teams...

This excerpt was at the end of an article at the WP about the Portis deal. Nunyo Demasio briefly mentioned Restricted Free Agents. Darnerian McCants is one of them. Here's the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...004Mar1_2.html

"The Redskins have made the lowest tender offer for all their restricted free agents, including wide receiver Darnerien McCants. The moves -- executed before yesterday's 3 p.m. deadline -- make Washington's four restricted free agents more likely to receive offers from other teams. However, the Redskins can match any offer, and say they intend to use the right if necessary.

"We're familiar with the restricted game," Vice President Vinny Cerrato said. "If somebody wants to go after our guys, we look forward to matching the offer."

This year's low tender offer cost $628,000, which counts for that amount against the salary cap. If another team signs a restricted free agent, that club must give up a draft pick from the round in which the player was selected. Since McCants was chosen in the fifth round, he is expected to draw much interest. The mid-level tender of $1.368 million would have cost a team a first-round pick to sign McCants.

"This will tell me how the rest of the league sees me," McCants said. "I'm not worried at all. I definitely would love to play for Coach Gibbs. Plus, it's great to play in your home town. If I get a big offer, hopefully the Redskins will stick to their word and match."

Just a thought, but I'd hate to lose McCants for a fifth round pick. You have to think he's one of the RFAs our front office would fight for. It also sounds like he wants to play for Gibbs.

Still, wasn't this a similar situation for the Jets last year? I remember reading that the Jets could have received two #1's for Laveranues Coles if they had offered just a bit more. I may have to check on that to be sure.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

I think McCants will be re-signed, he's far more valuable to us than a 5th rounder.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

yeah, he's a great receiver.

If we can get a 3rd or higher, I'd trade him. We have a lot of talent at WR.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Beemnseven:

You are absolutely correct. There are three levels of qualifying offers. the higher the offer from the team tha has the player now, the more the team will get if he signs elsewhere.

HOWEVER, that qualifying offer cannot be changed. If the RFA does not get a better offer, then the qualifying offer is his deal and there is no ability to make it cap friendly. To give McCants the top level offer would mean that he might cost them close to $2M in cap room next year and that probably is more than he is worth at this point in his career.

I would not be surprised to see the Eagles or the Browns make him an offer.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:07 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Someone will make him an offer I'm sure, especially since the asking price is only a 5th rounder. How big of an offer is the question though. If someone goes higher than $1.5M then I don't think we should match. Not for a WR who might be #3 at best.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:21 PM   #6
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

He's an excellent Red Zone receiver. Makes the big catch in traffic, often outleaping opponents. I think he's an ideal #3 wideout. While he won't get 7-10 receptions a game, eventually the DBs will forget about him -- then he comes up with a big catch.

Remember the Eagles game in Philly? He caught what could have been the game tying TD if the 2 pt. conversion had worked.

I'll bet these are the qualities many coaches are looking for, especially since he'll be a reasonably good bargain. I would hate to see him in Philly.

That said, I wouldn't break the bank for him. Sooner or later, we're going to have to find out once and for all what we've got with Cliff Russell and Taylor Jacobs. Plus, there's Patrick Johnson in the mix too.

Nice to know there's at least one position on the Redskin roster we won't have nightmares over.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #7
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

One reason why he is so important for our red zone passing game is that he is big (he played TE in college). We need a big wideout with steady hands. I think 1.5 million is too much though. $1 million is about all I think he's worth.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Why is Ohalete looked down on? He was 2nd in the team in tackles, had three picks and two FFs. He seemed to be in on a lot of plays. Wasn't Bowen a bigger disappointment?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
skins009
Impact Rookie

I'd take the pick in the draft. We need it.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:38 PM   #10
Portis
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven

Still, wasn't this a similar situation for the Jets last year? I remember reading that the Jets could have received two #1's for Laveranues Coles if they had offered just a bit more. I may have to check on that to be sure.

Just a corrention, it wasn't 2 #1's. It was only one #1 and a one 3rd round pick.
I think 5th round pick for McCants is little low. He is one WR we can use in clutch situation when top opposing DB are on Coles and Gardner. There is no doubt in my mind he is the ideal big WR for nickel sets. His size is good and he catches well. I think we will be making a mistake if we don't give him a bigger tender. WR is one position we have depth, but that is mostly on the basis of speed. Johnson, Cliff and Jacobs didn't contributed much at all last season.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:28 AM   #11
Shane
Special Teams

I think McCants is a very important player for us. All of the backup wideouts - Cliff Russell, Taylor Jacobs, and Patrick Johnson - are players who have promise. But McCants we can see for sure is the real deal, and I think we are taking a chance by putting forward the minimum restricted free agent offer.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:57 AM   #12
Ghost
Special Teams

It's not absolutely critical that we keep McCants UNLESS we trade Rod Gardner. We need at least one big, strong possession-type receiver on the team. Personally, I think Gardner is better but I know that many of you like McCants. As long as we keep one of them we should be OK, though we could be in trouble if Taylor Jacobs is a bust and/or Coles gets hurt.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:49 AM   #13
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

We can't tie up the money with Christmas day almost upon us. If someone wants to deal, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We couldn't risk the cap hit, as SC mentioned.

The market will fix the price, and we'll make an informed decision. I like him, but we're deep at WR.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #14
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
Beemnseven:

You are absolutely correct. There are three levels of qualifying offers. the higher the offer from the team tha has the player now, the more the team will get if he signs elsewhere.

HOWEVER, that qualifying offer cannot be changed. If the RFA does not get a better offer, then the qualifying offer is his deal and there is no ability to make it cap friendly. To give McCants the top level offer would mean that he might cost them close to $2M in cap room next year and that probably is more than he is worth at this point in his career.

I would not be surprised to see the Eagles or the Browns make him an offer.
I'd say you can count the Eagles out. The Philadelphia consensus is that other teams third receivers (Thrash?) aren't enough of an upgrade. They need speed at the position, anyway.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #15
dieselhog
Special Teams

My cryastal ball tells me that Rod Gardner will be involved in a draft day trade. Just a gut feeling.

I think McCants and Ohalete will both receive good offers elsewhere and I think they will allow Ohalete to leave. (I'd prefer him to stay if the price is not too high).

dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote