Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #61
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: NFL Free Agency Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
As they should, they should have gotten a much better haul in picks
No , and a big thanks to AB for that.

This is a great read that explains alot........

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/odell...iver/305138080

Advertisements
Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #62
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jets and Browns are all in and following that Rams trend...

Good rookie QB on their small deals, salary cap space...so while the QB deals are affordable, spend to build the team and try to get to SB within 3-4 years.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #63
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Jets and Browns are all in and following that Rams trend...

Good rookie QB on their small deals, salary cap space...so while the QB deals are affordable, spend to build the team and try to get to SB within 3-4 years.
Don't be surprised to see the Giants get Rosen(for a 3rd)and have him sit this year behind Eli . Gettleman has done a hell of a job clearing future cap space ,After this year and no Eli ,Vernon or Odell next year the Giants could have around 95 million in cap room
Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #64
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Don't be surprised to see the Giants get Rosen(for a 3rd)and have him sit this year behind Eli . Gettleman has done a hell of a job clearing future cap space ,After this year and no Eli ,Vernon or Odell next year the Giants could have around 95 million in cap room
It's a good rebuild
Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #65
MTK
\m/

Quote:
No , and a big thanks to AB for that.

This is a great read that explains alot........

The AB debacle didn't have anything to do with this deal.

Sorry, they got hosed...

Disastrous Odell Beckham Jr. trade is more proof that the Giants have become a sad joke under John Mara
Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #66
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
The AB debacle didn't have anything to do with this deal.

Sorry, they got hosed...

Disastrous Odell Beckham Jr. trade is more proof that the Giants have become a sad joke under John Mara
I see you didn't read my link.

The press hates Gettleman and I think he is great, he told them one thing and he does something else. What is it you think they could have gotten for a # 1 receiver who has missed a good portion of the last two years with injuries and has ...at best a strange "life style".
Old 03-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #67
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I see you didn't read my link.

The press hates Gettleman and I think he is great, he told them one thing and he does something else. What is it you think they could have gotten for a # 1 receiver who has missed a good portion of the last two years with injuries and has ...at best a strange "life style".
A heck of a lot more than a mid round first and the last pick in the 3rd LOL
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #68
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Odell Beckham Jr. trade: Why Giants decided to deal 'pain in the ass' receiver
Source: "...there was a real fear that eventually it would get worse."

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

Dave Gettleman was telling the truth when he said the Giants didn't sign Odell Beckham Jr. to trade him. John Mara believed the receiver was a transcendent star the franchise could market and build around. Pat Shurmur, perhaps his greatest champion in the building, had worked overtime to build a relationship with the man he thought would be the linchpin of his offense.

So what happened? How did everything go so wrong that the Giants were willing to ship Beckham away less than seven months after giving him a five-year, $90 million contract?

"He had become too much of a pain in the ass," said one source familiar with the situation. "And there was a real fear that eventually it would get worse."

That is as good an explanation for any for why the Giants sent the 26-year-old Beckham to the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday night for a first-round pick (17th overall), a third-round pick and safety Jabrill Peppers. It was "absolutely not a football decision," according to one team source. The Giants are well aware that replacing Beckham on the field might be impossible.

hit the link for the whole article.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #69
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
A heck of a lot more than a mid round first and the last pick in the 3rd LOL
.............and a starting safety, a good one.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #70
MTK
\m/

Quote:
.............and a starting safety, a good one.
a decent one
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #71
MTK
\m/

Read it and weep G1

Who won the Odell Beckham Jr. trade

Rate the Giants on the 1-10 love-it-or-hate-it scale: How did they fare in the deal?

Bowen: 2. I'm struggling to figure out the direction of the franchise -- and the identity the Giants are trying to build -- after trading away Beckham in the prime of his career. Yes, the Giants got multiple picks and Peppers in the deal, but Beckham is a game-changer. Hard to find those guys.

Clay: 1. What on earth are the Giants doing? Dumping Beckham is their most egregious move yet, but they've also moved on from NT Damon Harrison, CB Eli Apple, LB Olivier Vernon and S Landon Collins over the past year. Newcomer Peppers is only 23 and certainly could emerge to become a difference-maker and they've done a nice job upgrading the offensive line, but at what cost? This 38-year-old-quarterback-led roster is officially one of the worst in the league.

Graziano: 1. The Giants are an unmitigated fiasco at this point. You can argue that they should be in rebuild mode and you'd be right. The problem is they should have been in rebuild mode last year and Gettleman insisted (and operated as if) they weren't. If you're in rebuild mode, you don't even sign Beckham to the deal you gave him last summer. Now they're eating $28 million in dead money over the next two years and have paid Beckham a little bit less than $22 million for 12 games. Last year was the QB draft, and they took a running back. This year is the defensive line draft, and they might need to take a QB instead. They're not keeping up with reality.

Kimes: 2. I'm dumbfounded. Unlike Antonio Brown, Beckham didn't force New York's hand. The fact that they're trading him so quickly after extending him (the team will incur $16 million in dead money this year), makes me question the Giants' strategy. It seems possible that they're trying to accrue assets to pursue a young quarterback, but isn't that a need they should've foreseen last year before they paid Beckham?

Reid: 1. I would have gone lower, but the editors didn't provide that option. I've been saying for weeks that the Giants must have a plan. And they do: It just appears to be a really, really bad one. Why did they recommit to Eli Manning for another season and trade Beckham, who received a massive deal last summer? Why didn't they draft a quarterback in last year's quarterback-deep draft? And if they're about to begin a rebuild, why is Manning still atop the roster? What's clear is that Tuna (Bill Parcells), Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms aren't walking through that door. And even if they did, they couldn't help fix this mess.

Sando: 3. It's usually a terrible sign when an organization led by the same people changes course so abruptly within a one-year span. What is the plan? If the Giants realized they made a mistake by signing Beckham to a rich deal, it's understandable that they might want to undo that mistake. However, they should have known all they needed to know about Beckham before entering into an extension. At least they got something in return.

Seifert: 2. Even if you could make a plausible argument for trading a transcendent player locked into a five-year contract, it's impossible to believe that this is all you could get for him. The only partially redeeming consequence for the Giants will be if they use the first-round pick to move up and draft a quarterback who could replace Manning sooner rather than later.

Yates: 1. This underscores what some around the NFL have believed for quite some time: The Giants were never fully sold on Beckham from the moment they signed him to an extension. In the NFL, it's important to have a clear path, even if it's one that means retooling or rebuilding. What is the Giants' path?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #72
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Earl Thomas to the Ravens:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Former Seahawks’ S Earl Thomas intends to sign a four-year, $55 million deal that includes $32 million fully guaranteed at signing with the Baltimore Ravens, league source tells ESPN. Deal includes $22 million in first nine months.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #73
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Ravens are shopping:

Dianna Russini
@diannaESPN
Former Saints’ RB Mark Ingram intends to sign a three-year, $15 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens, per @AdamSchefter and me. New Orleans offered 4.5 million per source. Baltimore it is for Ingram
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #74
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ravens have no WRs, a bunch of TE's and a RB2 that isn't going to be close to as productive in BAL...
Old 03-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #75
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The hype around Cleveland is annoying... Win a playoff game first