Commanders Salary Cap Status 2022

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Commanders Salary Cap Status 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Interesting to see that they have put 2 void years on the end of JDMs deal, not something I have seen them do before. I assume it is residue from matching Buffalos deal
They did the same thing with McCain. It allows you to spread a prorated portion of guarantees over 3 years instead of 2. A cap machination a lot of teams are using these days.

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #17
Schneed10
A Dude

OP was updated again to reflect now-known details of the Bobby McCain and Cam Sims contracts, and a better guesstimate of the Norwell contract.

McCain's deal includes voidable years which spread the allocation of guaranteed signing bonus money to three years, rather than two. His cap hit this year is less than $3M as a result.

Norwell's deal was lower than I initially thought it would be, indications are it's a two year deal for ten million. His cap hit will be lower than Wes Schweitzer, and frankly the Norwell contract looks like a big bargain, even considering that he's not the same player as he was in 2017 when he made All Pro.

Cam Sims deal is $2.59M, not $3M as previously reported.

Washington is beginning to deploy these voidable year tactics to massage the cap, something they intentionally avoided doing under Bruce Allen. They are now getting in line with what other teams are doing to manage their caps.

Room remains to add a starting middle linebacker, I'd look for that to happen in the coming weeks. That will still leave room to extend McLaurin before camp.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #18
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Yes I saw that, must be the new front office.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:18 PM   #19
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Slye is listed as $2.4m
Old 03-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #20
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
OP was updated again to reflect now-known details of the Bobby McCain and Cam Sims contracts, and a better guesstimate of the Norwell contract.

McCain's deal includes voidable years which spread the allocation of guaranteed signing bonus money to three years, rather than two. His cap hit this year is less than $3M as a result.

Norwell's deal was lower than I initially thought it would be, indications are it's a two year deal for ten million. His cap hit will be lower than Wes Schweitzer, and frankly the Norwell contract looks like a big bargain, even considering that he's not the same player as he was in 2017 when he made All Pro.

Cam Sims deal is $2.59M, not $3M as previously reported.

Washington is beginning to deploy these voidable year tactics to massage the cap, something they intentionally avoided doing under Bruce Allen. They are now getting in line with what other teams are doing to manage their caps.

Room remains to add a starting middle linebacker, I'd look for that to happen in the coming weeks. That will still leave room to extend McLaurin before camp.
Yeah I'm really surprised. So far this is looking like a really good move.
22.9M is a very decent amount. We should be able to make a couple of significant signings.

I'd be curious to know where we rank in the league as of now (pretty much impossible to know right now, OTC has us 12th at 16.8M but this ranking doesn't include a lot of our moves and other teams' moves.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:22 PM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Yeah I'm really surprised. So far this is looking like a really good move.
22.9M is a very decent amount. We should be able to make a couple of significant signings.

I'd be curious to know where we rank in the league as of now (pretty much impossible to know right now, OTC has us 12th at 16.8M but this ranking doesn't include a lot of our moves and other teams' moves.
I like s10 idea to extend Terry and then let’s add a playmaker, either Bobby Wagner or Honey Badger.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:24 PM   #22
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I like s10 idea to extend Terry and then let’s add a playmaker, either Bobby Wagner or Honey Badger.
Yop, you know where I stand on that ^^

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

OP was updated again, OvertheCap has caught up with all of our moves. Andrew Norwell's contract looks just like Bobby McCain's, they have voidable years tacked on so as to keep the cap hit in year 1 low. His cap hit this year will be $2.8M as opposed to the $4M I had been assuming. They continue to deploy this strategy to maintain cap space. Once Collins comes off the books on June 1 they'll have $24M in cap space.

To me, deploying the voidable year strategy is a clear sign that they intend to use the cap space for something this year. You don't deploy a contract strategy with multiple players to kick money into future seasons without having a plan to use the space in the here and now.

There are a number of things they could do with that space. I continue to think they'll fill out the roster with a few more contributing players over the next few weeks, and I continue to think they'll extend Terry McLaurin and take some of the hit on it this year.

They could also choose to extend Daron Payne, but that's just as likely to reduce his 2022 cap hit. He's on his option season at $8.5M this year, an extension probably doesn't move that needle upward much.

I think it's Terry by training camp.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #24
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Great job, kind of shocked we got Norwells cap hit so low, you could be right about their intensions. Would think a Payne extension is next to reduce his cap hit, especially with Matty I and Settle gone
Old 03-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #25
Schneed10
A Dude

OP updated to reflect the signing (not shakin or booty fakin at) Cornelius Lucas for 2 years $8.2M. I'm assuming a cap hit of around $3.0M or so for now, anticipating they probably applied the Bobby McCain void structure at the end to spread out the hit a little.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #26
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
OP was updated again, OvertheCap has caught up with all of our moves. Andrew Norwell's contract looks just like Bobby McCain's, they have voidable years tacked on so as to keep the cap hit in year 1 low. His cap hit this year will be $2.8M as opposed to the $4M I had been assuming. They continue to deploy this strategy to maintain cap space. Once Collins comes off the books on June 1 they'll have $24M in cap space.

To me, deploying the voidable year strategy is a clear sign that they intend to use the cap space for something this year. You don't deploy a contract strategy with multiple players to kick money into future seasons without having a plan to use the space in the here and now.

There are a number of things they could do with that space. I continue to think they'll fill out the roster with a few more contributing players over the next few weeks, and I continue to think they'll extend Terry McLaurin and take some of the hit on it this year.

They could also choose to extend Daron Payne, but that's just as likely to reduce his 2022 cap hit. He's on his option season at $8.5M this year, an extension probably doesn't move that needle upward much.

I think it's Terry by training camp.
Great job sir, and let's pray you're right !
Old 05-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #27
MTK
\m/

2022 Cap Health Rankings

Five categories:

1. Active Draft Capital (how many rookie contract players you have and where they were selected)

2. 2022-24 Effective Cap space

3. Total Prorated money (want to be low)

4. Top 51 roster valuation (Browns #1)

5. 2023 UFA valuation (want to be low)
Old 05-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #28
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

2022 Cap Health Rankings

Five categories:

1. Active Draft Capital (how many rookie contract players you have and where they were selected)

2. 2022-24 Effective Cap space

3. Total Prorated money (want to be low)

4. Top 51 roster valuation (Browns #1)

5. 2023 UFA valuation (want to be low)
This is interesting -- and suggests that being in cap hell may not, in fact, be the worst thing in the world. There are some good teams toward the bottom of the list (although maybe they'll have a few years of serious suckage ahead of them at some point soon). Not surprised to see the Pats so high with the way they ruthlessly unload expensive players.

I wonder if this tracks historically, but I note 7 of the top 10 are AFC teams whereas 7 of the bottom 10 are NFC teams.