Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Vick: Goodell Helped Convince Me To Sign With Eagles

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Vick: Goodell Helped Convince Me To Sign With Eagles

Good article. And I'm sure Bills and Bengals fans are thrilled.

Michael Vick GQ September 2011 Interview: Profiles: GQ

Advertisements
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Vick: Goodell Helped Convince Me To Sign With Eagles

Goodell is sure to catch a lot of flak on this, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Philly was a much better situation for him than Buffalo or Cincy... for many reasons.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Jontrem
Impact Rookie

Yeah Cincy was the wrong place for him in almost every conceivable way, Buffalo is to small a town and not enough talent around him. Philly was the right choice for him.
Jontrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

I have a major problem with the commissioner of the league, or by extension the NFL league office, influencing or steering any player to take a particular course of action, especially a decision on where to play.

Where's the free market? You either reinstate Vick fully, allowing him to make his own decision like any other free agent, or you don't. I'd cry major foul if I were the Bills or the Bengals.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
saden1
MVP

This is a friable offense. An bias commissioner is a worthless commissioner.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Yeah. It seems very curious. I mean did Goodell say you should go to Philly. Or did he say something like, don't fixate on starting right away. Think about the organization as a whole. Look for stability.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah. It seems very curious. I mean did Goodell say you should go to Philly. Or did he say something like, don't fixate on starting right away. Think about the organization as a whole. Look for stability.
Something tells me it was probably more along those lines.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

I've got a problem with any form of it though, even if it was as innocent as giving an opinion. The NFL had a vested interest in making sure Vick didn't get himself into trouble again, so while that is all well-intentioned, they're still pushing an agenda. Goodell and the NFL don't want the brand sullied by a relapse by the felon. Vick surrounded by McNabb, Andy Reid, and lower expectations initially surely reduces the chances of Vick making a bad choice, especially when considering the peers Vick would have had in Cincy, they were practically 50% felons at that point.

I'm sure Goodell had good intentions, but it just smells bad. Let Dungy be the one to advise him, you as the NFL commissioner need be completely impartial when it comes to player acquisition matters.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Jontrem
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Let Dungy be the one to advise him, you as the NFL commissioner need be completely impartial when it comes to player acquisition matters.
Good point, even if he worked through an intermediary it would have been better to have some separation.
Jontrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
12thMan
MVP

On the surface, it looks like Roger Goodell was/is meddling and perhaps overstepped his authority here. But let's be honest for a second, this wasn't Joe Blow quarterback that was released from prison and wanted to come back to play football. Had this story not taken on national and international importance, maybe Goodell steps back a little and allow things to run it's course. This story was dominating headlines for sometime. Wherever Michael Vick landed it would have come back to Roger Goodell's judgement or lack thereof. Tony Dungy would have suffered no repercussions if Vick went rogue again. So either way, Goodell and Vick were partners in his ultimate decision.

Roger Goodell is running a multi-billion dollar global enterprise, not your local Walmart. He is very much involved with not just the business side of the NFL, but also responsible for fashioning the image and making the product more accessible to consumers around the world as well as local communities. And players and what uniforms they put on are a big part of that. I'm sure he weighed all of this during his meetings with Vick.

I don't know if Michael Vick is the face of the NFL, but it's hard to argue that he's not in the top two or three right now. And if Philly goes to the Super Bowl, Goodell will get a lot of credit for helping Vick make a stunning comeback.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
irish
Playmaker

I dont have a problem with what RG did, although its impossible to tell from this article what he said. He was looking out for the league by helping a high profile player get himself into a good situation that will make both the player and league look good. That's what I call a win-win.

Cincy would have been a disaster for MV as Cincy has the worst head coach at any level of football. That wasnt what MV or the league needed or wanted.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

It wasn't only Goodell, but also "other reps from the NFL" in that meeting he talked about.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
On the surface, it looks like Roger Goodell was/is meddling and perhaps overstepped his authority here. But let's be honest for a second, this wasn't Joe Blow quarterback that was released from prison and wanted to come back to play football. Had this story not taken on national and international importance, maybe Goodell steps back a little and allow things to run it's course. This story was dominating headlines for sometime. Wherever Michael Vick landed it would have come back to Roger Goodell's judgement or lack thereof. Tony Dungy would have suffered no repercussions if Vick went rogue again. So either way, Goodell and Vick were partners in his ultimate decision.

Roger Goodell is running a multi-billion dollar global enterprise, not your local Walmart. He is very much involved with not just the business side of the NFL, but also responsible for fashioning the image and making the product more accessible to consumers around the world as well as local communities. And players and what uniforms they put on are a big part of that. I'm sure he weighed all of this during his meetings with Vick.

I don't know if Michael Vick is the face of the NFL, but it's hard to argue that he's not in the top two or three right now. And if Philly goes to the Super Bowl, Goodell will get a lot of credit for helping Vick make a stunning comeback.
To me, maintaining the integrity of the league takes priority over making the business decision to help Vick minimize the risk (to both Vick and the NFL itself) of a relapse.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I've got a problem with any form of it though, even if it was as innocent as giving an opinion. The NFL had a vested interest in making sure Vick didn't get himself into trouble again, so while that is all well-intentioned, they're still pushing an agenda. Goodell and the NFL don't want the brand sullied by a relapse by the felon. Vick surrounded by McNabb, Andy Reid, and lower expectations initially surely reduces the chances of Vick making a bad choice, especially when considering the peers Vick would have had in Cincy, they were practically 50% felons at that point.

I'm sure Goodell had good intentions, but it just smells bad. Let Dungy be the one to advise him, you as the NFL commissioner need be completely impartial when it comes to player acquisition matters.
well said, agree 100%

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
To me, maintaining the integrity of the league takes priority over making the business decision to help Vick minimize the risk (to both Vick and the NFL itself) of a relapse.
I think those two things are related at the end of the day.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote