Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #1141
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
Just bought Machete the other day. Got the Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital combo for 20 bucks. Worth every penny ! My wife kept turning away and telling me how this is a movie that I should've watched with my cousin by the end we were both laughing. It was so campy and freaking awesome.

Let me also add from a Blu Ray stand point, that is how a disk should be set up. You can skip the previews, menuing makes sense, if you stop it it will pick right back up from where you stopped. It is a well laid out disk.

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #1142
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Finally watched Inception, thought it was generally "okay" with parts of "very good". What made it particularly interesting was watching it while loopy due to narcotic pain meds (oxicodone) from my foot surgery. Surreal does not begin to describe the night I had after watching the moving and trying to go to sleep.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #1143
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Watched the Pat Tillman Documentary. Pretty interesting stuff definitely put him in a different light in my mind.
What light did it put him in? I refuse to watch it because I figured that they painted him as some war hero.

I did not know the man personally but I have seen his type before. He was probably a dick who thought that he was harder than he really was. He probably got capped for it.

If that is the light that they shed in that documentary then I might watch it.

Acting like a soldier and doing something heroic is acceptable. Acting like a hero while only being a soldier might get others killed or you shot...
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #1144
MTK
\m/

New Hangover II Trailer: The Wolfpack Is Back! - E! Online
Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #1145
GMScud
Swearinger

Yes.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #1146
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
What light did it put him in? I refuse to watch it because I figured that they painted him as some war hero.

I did not know the man personally but I have seen his type before. He was probably a dick who thought that he was harder than he really was. He probably got capped for it.

Acting like a soldier and doing something heroic is acceptable. Acting like a hero while only being a soldier might get others killed or you shot...
I'm a very big fan of Jon Krakauer, so I dutifully read the biography he wrote of Pat Tillman when it was published ("Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman"). The portrait he presented of Tillman, the accuracy of which has generally been accepted, was that of a very introspective, complicated guy who was difficult to pigeon hole into virtually any stereotype. Tillman did not enlist in order to enjoy the publicity that was attached to his decision to leave the NFL, and there was nothing he did during his service that indicated that he possessed an inflated view of his soldiering capacity. Unfortunately, he almost instantly became a political figure the moment he enlisted, and even more so when he died. However, the sum total of his political positions, to the extent it is considered relevant, essentially placed him in a sort of limbo; i.e., he was not a dogmatic, party-embracing dude, but instead a guy who embraced "political" positions that crossed party aisles. But this didn't matter when he died because of the political capital that some saw the opportunity to extract. When that effort didn't pay the sought-after dividends, there was a separate political backlash. Altogether, it consumed an otherwise tragic story of a US soldier's death.

I'd suggest you pick up Krakauer's book, because I think your inclination to view Tillman as nothing more than a "dick" whose character you see as a cliche doesn't match with his real story.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #1147
MTK
\m/

I just started reading Into Thin Air. I didn't realize Krakauer wrote Tillman's bio, I'll be all over that.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #1148
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
I'm a very big fan of Jon Krakauer, so I dutifully read the biography he wrote of Pat Tillman when it was published ("Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman"). The portrait he presented of Tillman, the accuracy of which has generally been accepted, was that of a very introspective, complicated guy who was difficult to pigeon hole into virtually any stereotype. Tillman did not enlist in order to enjoy the publicity that was attached to his decision to leave the NFL, and there was nothing he did during his service that indicated that he possessed an inflated view of his soldiering capacity. Unfortunately, he almost instantly became a political figure the moment he enlisted, and even more so when he died. However, the sum total of his political positions, to the extent it is considered relevant, essentially placed him in a sort of limbo; i.e., he was not a dogmatic, party-embracing dude, but instead a guy who embraced "political" positions that crossed party aisles. But this didn't matter when he died because of the political capital that some saw the opportunity to extract. When that effort didn't pay the sought-after dividends, there was a separate political backlash. Altogether, it consumed an otherwise tragic story of a US soldier's death.

I'd suggest you pick up Krakauer's book, because I think your inclination to view Tillman as nothing more than a "dick" whose character you see as a cliche doesn't match with his real story.

Dude that review or explanation of Tillman or anyone for that matter made zero sense. WTF do you smoke?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #1149
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post

Basically in my mind before watching the film I figured he was just someone who went out and joined the Army for the publicity or to be a "hero". But after watching the movie I feel like he just did it because he just plain want to do it. He seemed like a guy that just did his thing and if you didn't like it F you.

The most interesting part of the movie to me was that on his 1.5 year leave he had a chance to go back to the NFL and the Army would discharge him honorable but he said no and planned to finish his tour. I think that said a lot about his character, he was going to finish what he started even though he was not liking the war and how the US was fighting it.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #1150
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Dude that review or explanation of Tillman or anyone for that matter made zero sense. WTF do you smoke?
Fine. I'll simplify. The post I responded to said that Tillman was probably a dick whose eagnerness for glory on a battlefield placed him into a stereotype and possibly cost him his life. So I said that I read a book about Tillman, and that the author's position was that Tillman was not a dick, and that his interests, philosophies, and positions made it very difficult to put him into a stereotype, and that he didn't enlist for the potential for glory. I then said that others tried to paint of picture of Tillman to serve their own purposes, but the picture they painted was not accurate, and overshadowed an otherwise very tragic story. I closed with a recommendation that the book be read.

Given that we're talking about movies here, I should probably also recommend that the documentary be watched. However, I haven't seen the documentary, so I can't give it a recommendation. What I can say is that one person's comment about why he would not watch the documentary is, I believe, not supported by the facts about Tillman's life.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #1151
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post

Interesting, I might have to check that out. I might just have prematurely stero-typed him. Then again there is no true way of knowing. You can use photoshop to edit a picture and a biography to edit an "ethos". The only way to see through the edited portraits is to have experienced the subjects prior to.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #1152
KLHJ2
Inactive

Probably the minority agin but I enjoyed the hell out of Salt. It was a great nearly original storyline and concept.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #1153
dblanch66
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I need to see Social Network.

I saw The King's Speech and thought it was one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. I didn't want it to end. That period of history I find quite fascinating with the King abdicating and all so I don't know if I would have liked the movie as much if it wasn't based on truth, and a time that I find fascinating
Wonderful movie. Great script (penned by a man who really did stammer), great acting. One of my definite favorites of the last 10 years. Loved The Fighter too.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #1154
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I just took my 13 year old daughter and 12 year old neighbor kid to see Mars Needs Moms. The girls liked it and gave it a seven out of ten.
I though it was decent. Good movie to take the kids to. Makes you want to hug your mom when you get home.
CGI was decent too.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #1155
WaldSkins
Playmaker