Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Best Offensive Skill Talent Since When?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #31
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Best Offensive Skill Talent Since When?

I agree that AG has to clean up some stuff. And if you want to bring in competition fine. My only point was that I really didn't feel that drafting a rb in the 3rd was needed. If SF69 was GM (lol) I would never draft a rb in the early rounds. 5th round or later would be my rule. The Shanahan's has proven this over how many years? How many successful no name rushers have they had that were not high draft picks? You can find gems at RB in the later rounds or even undrafted. Go grab more oline w/ that pick. Or get a LB for christ sakes... lol.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #32
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I think Gibson and Robinson will split time which will keep them fresh and make our running game more effective. This is another way to help Wentz to be as productive as possible.
I like it, we will have a poor man's version of Aaron jones and AJ Dillion. Gibson with his skill set can really take advantage of a more spread out offense. Just got to keep the oopsies down.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #33
jamf
Pro Bowl

The amount of love for a guy that fumbled more times than he had a 20+ yard plays is outrageous.

Gibson is C grade player. He get's touches because of his position and lack of passing game but he is not a top 15 back in this league.

I expect Robinson to take over the starting job after a few week.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #34
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I agree that AG has to clean up some stuff. And if you want to bring in competition fine. My only point was that I really didn't feel that drafting a rb in the 3rd was needed. If SF69 was GM (lol) I would never draft a rb in the early rounds. 5th round or later would be my rule. The Shanahan's has proven this over how many years? How many successful no name rushers have they had that were not high draft picks? You can find gems at RB in the later rounds or even undrafted. Go grab more oline w/ that pick. Or get a LB for christ sakes... lol.
Kyle Shanahan has drafted a RB in round 3 two years in a row now.

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 05-10-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #35
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Pffft, what does he know about football. LOL.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #36
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I don't see how the addition of Robinson hurts at all, or why there is really any complaints about it. I'm not sure if he'll take over the starting job from AG, but having two very capable RBs (plus McKissic) is going to do nothing but help this offense. Especially if Robinson is a capable blitz picker upper.

Personally, I'm pretty eager to see this offense in the Fall. There are still some question marks - Logan Thomas' health, Curtis Samuel's health, will the O-line be as good as they have been the last couple years...but I think there's a lot of potential there.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:57 PM   #37
GridIron26
Playmaker

I'm really hoping that Thomas will be back to normal this year. He was blossoming into a nice weapon for us before he got injured.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:10 PM   #38
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I don't see how the addition of Robinson hurts at all, or why there is really any complaints about it. I'm not sure if he'll take over the starting job from AG, but having two very capable RBs (plus McKissic) is going to do nothing but help this offense. Especially if Robinson is a capable blitz picker upper.

Personally, I'm pretty eager to see this offense in the Fall. There are still some question marks - Logan Thomas' health, Curtis Samuel's health, will the O-line be as good as they have been the last couple years...but I think there's a lot of potential there.
I'm fine with it. But to be fair, from what I understood, SF69's point was just that maybe the pick could've been better used, maybe more need oriented, cuz you can find talented RBs later in the draft.

For me, the draft being a crapshoot, I have no issue with them taking a player they really like, you don't draft only for next year, you draft for the future and between cap issues and injuries, you never know who's gonna be on your roster in 3 to 5 years...
Old 05-10-2022, 08:44 PM   #39
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I think it was a need, and I think they thought it was a need as well. Gibson was top 5 in # of carries for a running back last year, and in the high 30s in yards per rush. He has no vision, he can't get you 1 yard when you need it and the defense knows you're going to run the ball, he fumbles too much, and he's oft-injured.

I like Gibson's athleticism, but he's not a true running back like Robinson. I would not be at all surprised if Robinson was the starting running back by the end of the season. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are splitting carries 60/40ish. We'll see. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think the position group is better today than it was before the draft, and that's a good thing.

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 05-10-2022 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #40
That Guy
Living Legend

I don't have an issue with RBs in the 3rd. You don't take them in the 1st unless its AP, and it better be a stud in the 2nd. Just due to OL/CB/QB/pass rush quality available and their impact over replacement level players in the 1st/2nd round. (QB/DE/WR tend to be more hit or miss than other positions, even up high, but you're never getting a randy moss in the 3rd round... though you might get a TM or steve smith).

RB life in the NFL is short, and while I thought our RB room was fine, I wouldn't call it amazing. If he can't help us this year, it will seem like not the greatest pick. We're only ever 1 injury or bout of fumblitis away from potentially significant playing time though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #41
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
look at the overall body or work of the Shanahan's, Mike and Kyle.... Alfred Morris, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Arian Foster, Mosert, Orlandis Gary.. Probably leaving a lot of guys out. All really good rushers that were not 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #42
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

True, a lot of good RBs can be found in rounds 4-7. I was just pointing out that even the Shanahan's draft RBs before round 4. I think it's just fine, especially if you think there is a need and a guy you really like is sitting there at 98.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #43
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Health is the key. I mean that is true for lots of teams. But some teams just flat out don't have sufficient talent either. We do. If Thomas comes back ready to rock and Samuel got a replacement groin, this offense should be stacked:

WR1: Terry McLaurin
WR2: Jahan Dotson (I think he is about as pro-ready as they come to contribute immediately)
WR3/Slot: Curtis Samuel
TE: Logan Thomas
RB: Antonio Gibson or Brian Robinson or J. D. McKissic (I think Gibson will start but the rotation will be pretty equal for snaps as they all bring something a little different)
QB: Carson Wentz

We will actually be able to throw the ball down the field this year too. That is HUGE change from last year. Wentz can hit the deep ball. Terry about to blow up the league this year.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #44
MTK
\m/

This draft was all about surrounding Wentz with weapons and hopefully setting him up for a great season. He got help at WR, TE, and RB. No excuses he has to produce.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:20 AM   #45
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Health is the key. I mean that is true for lots of teams. But some teams just flat out don't have sufficient talent either. We do. If Thomas comes back ready to rock and Samuel got a replacement groin, this offense should be stacked:

WR1: Terry McLaurin
WR2: Jahan Dotson (I think he is about as pro-ready as they come to contribute immediately)
WR3/Slot: Curtis Samuel
TE: Logan Thomas
RB: Antonio Gibson or Brian Robinson or J. D. McKissic (I think Gibson will start but the rotation will be pretty equal for snaps as they all bring something a little different)
QB: Carson Wentz

We will actually be able to throw the ball down the field this year too. That is HUGE change from last year. Wentz can hit the deep ball. Terry about to blow up the league this year.
I’m excited, fingers crossed that the injury bug stays away, but there is a lot to like. Takes pressure off the defense too play perfect, which they had too with Haskins, Henike, Allen and Alex Smith under center.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote