Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #31
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Like with any prospects in any draft some coaches and scouts will like them and some wont. Only time will tell.

For me its as simple as this:

Would you agree that QB is a position that needed to be addressed?

Was that area addressed?
Not quite so simple for me:
QB needs to be addressed? TBD
Was that area addressed? insufficient info at this time

I personally think like many others the SB winning QB of the Redskins may not be in Burgundy and Gold. Furthermore....regardless of the QB, this team had no hope of real success as it had to many holes in the supporting cast. Still have plenty of holes and upgrades to be done, but it's a start.
I don't really think our guys were impressed at any of the top qb prospects (at least at the top) enough to consider going after one. I cannot disagree with their moves to date as they have filled some holes.......added good depth......upgraded special teams.
As has been stated, our qb's will all look better with the personnel changes we have made.
Fill all the obvious holes you can and see how the remainder looks....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #32
30gut
Playmaker

...So the consensus seems to be that not drafting a QB, despite the need, wasn't a mistake because they all suck?
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #33
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
...So the consensus seems to be that not drafting a QB, despite the need, wasn't a mistake because they all suck?
No. That is not what I think happened. I feel our draft board and ranking of Qb's (in terms of value and where they should be drafted) resulted in us not finding value enough to select one.
So rather than REACHING for a QB, like we reached for OG Josh LeRibeus years ago, what a mistake that was. Our GM decided to stick to his draft board. That is all. No grand mistake or colossal problem as your hoping someone will say. It is not a big deal that we did not spend a draft pick in this draft on a QB.
We can still get one that is cut from another team or get one next draft.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #34
MTK
\m/

SM is focused on a long term plan here. With a strong cast around the QB and a good defense you don't have to be so QB dependent to have a winning season, like in 2012.

The QB class was so meh this year, and we had so many other needs to fill as well. I've got no problem with not drafting one.

Halliday was a good developmental plan but obviously his heart wasn't in it.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #35
Hog1

One of the many things I find.....exciting about the new regime is the return to the power running game.
BITD...Everybody on the field knew we were going Counter trap. They could not stop it. When they committed the resources to the line to stop it, Art Monk was reeling in a 50 yard strike. I am very excited to see the B & G returning to that type foundation.
BUT....we have to have the horses...SM is with that plan
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I think it is more that there were many needs, at many levels of our team. And that at each point where we had a selection to make, the powers that be chose other holes to fill rather than a 3rd string qb with some potential. And most fans are OK with the choices and the track record of the person making the choices.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #37
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
No. That is not what I think happened. I feel our draft board and ranking of Qb's (in terms of value and where they should be drafted) resulted in us not finding value enough to select one.
So rather than REACHING for a QB, like we reached for OG Josh LeRibeus years ago, what a mistake that was. Our GM decided to stick to his draft board. That is all. No grand mistake or colossal problem as your hoping someone will say. It is not a big deal that we did not spend a draft pick in this draft on a QB.
We can still get one that is cut from another team or get one next draft.
So you don't think drafting Jones in the 3rd round wasn't a reach? Rb was already one of the few strengths on the team and Jones doesn't even catch the ball out of the backfield.

I would have kept Helu, very underrated player for us. Then coached up the group up on pass pro and maybe got a qb with that 3rd rounder. Or just someone else that was just a better player.

Love the draft except that 3rd round pick. Sucks that Halliday quit as we now have back the same three stooges at QB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #38
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So you don't think drafting Jones in the 3rd round wasn't a reach? Rb was already one of the few strengths on the team and Jones doesn't even catch the ball out of the backfield.

I would have kept Helu, very underrated player for us. Then coached up the group up on pass pro and maybe got a qb with that 3rd rounder. Or just someone else that was just a better player.

Love the draft except that 3rd round pick. Sucks that Halliday quit as we now have back the same three stooges at QB.
It's not what I think, it is what SM thinks and he valued Jones at that point in the draft. I disagree that RB was a strength, we were a little thin in depth and small at RB. If we are committing to being a power running team we needed another physical RB.
Unlike others, I do not claim to know enough about every college player to know if Jones will be great or not.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #39
Hog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
It's not what I think, it is what SM thinks and he valued Jones at that point in the draft. I disagree that RB was a strength, we were a little thin in depth and small at RB. If we are committing to being a power running team we needed another physical RB.
Unlike others, I do not claim to know enough about every college player to know if Jones will be great or not.
WTF?....and you call yourself a Redskin fan...shame on you
Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #40
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Don't know too much about Jones, but all the so called experts said he could have been there later on the draft. If he becomes a complete back, or like Lynch then that's an upgrade over Morris.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I thought they'd draft a QB, but you don't draft a position just to draft a position.Short of adding a QB the next best thing is helping the QBs you have. And, as much as I love Helu, I think Matt Jones will be way better for this team than Helu ever was
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #42
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I liked Helu for lot of reasons. I didn't like Helu for lots of reasons. Ultimately, he is a nice back up but nothing more. Lots like him out there.

As for the QB, this draft had zilch beyond the first two that warranted much of any consideration. Can see McC considering one each round and saying, "Nope, much better value, bigger need with [INSERT NAME]". Sure, it would have been fine to pick one up, but who? when?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #43
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I thought they'd draft a QB, but you don't draft a position just to draft a position.Short of adding a QB the next best thing is helping the QBs you have. And, as much as I love Helu, I think Matt Jones will be way better for this team than Helu ever was
For sure in regards to replacing helu. But more interested if Matt jones can be better for the skins than Alfmo.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #44
MTK
\m/

We needed a back that can block, Jones seems to be that guy. And if he ends up being the eventual successor for Morris, that's not a bad thing either.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
For sure in regards to replacing helu. But more interested if Matt jones can be better for the skins than Alfmo.
It's possible. I'm not the biggest Alfmo fan though